News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on June 27, 2017, 09:36:00 PM

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 27, 2017, 06:46:24 PM
was the Route 3/4 interchange in Chelmsford ever a rotary? the way they have it set up now means you get stuck at at least 2 red lights before you can get thru to route 3 north from route 4 north.

Pretty sure it was a standard rotary.  I did quite a bit of survey work for the US 3 reconstruction.  That was a scary road to work on.  We initially did work in the shoulder, with only a cop car for protection.  One day we were working in the median when construction started and saw a bumper fly off a car that got hit and ended up in the median.  They had stop signs on the onramps (which noone stopped at), and I think that's what caused the flying debris.  Needless to say, I got the heck out of dodge.

Yes, prior to the US 3 widening, Drum Hill Rotary (to use the local name) was a standard uncontrolled Massachusetts rotary.  IIRC, the principal reason it was squared off was to accommodate the installation of traffic signals while minimizing the need for ROW takings.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

CapeCodder

I have a MA state route question.

Does the old alignment of US 44 have a number? I recall seeing it labeled as 44A in a National Geographic mapping program. Has it ever been 44A?

NE2

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 01, 2017, 06:03:59 PM

Does the old alignment of US 44 have a number? I recall seeing it labeled as 44A in a National Geographic mapping program. Has it ever been 44A?
It's never been signed as such.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_44#Massachusetts
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beeper1

I think there had been some talk about it becoming MA-44A, but that never happened.   It is un-numbered.

SectorZ

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 01, 2017, 06:03:59 PM

Many things erroneously call it 44A, Rand McNally maps did for a bit a decade ago is one example.

Of course, brand new MassDOT signage still calls it 44 (US or MA - take your pick).

yakra

Quote from: SectorZ on July 01, 2017, 10:15:30 PM
Of course, brand new MassDOT signage still calls it 44 (US or MA - take your pick).
Ooh, ooh!! Link?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

SectorZ

NE2

Er...the sign points you straight towards the new freeway. Not right on the old alignment.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on July 03, 2017, 12:30:44 PM
Er...the sign points you straight towards the new freeway. Not right on the old alignment.

Incorrect, it's pointing east on old 44, or straight on what was 58 north/44 west (Now just 58 north). I've seen the signs with my own eyes this past winter.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9192813,-70.8024795,3a,36y,5.58h,91.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2vQEesPUn71178w3k0-hrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Same location with new sign.

roadman

Quote from: Beeper1 on July 01, 2017, 07:15:35 PM
I think there had been some talk about it becoming MA-44A, but that never happened.   It is un-numbered.
in 2005, as work on the upgraded US 44 was nearing completion, MassHighway's original plan was to renumber 'old' US 44 as MA 44A.   However, the Town of Carver objected, so the proposal was dropped on the advice of the District, and the signs were changed to read Samoset Street instead.  IIRC, the 44A re-numbering was noted in the route change information sent to AASHTO for re-routing US 44, which explains why some mapping services picked up on the change and consider it official.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mergingtraffic

The "Routes 2 - 3" button copy signs on Mt. Auburn in Cambridge have been replaced.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NE2

Quote from: SectorZ on July 03, 2017, 03:05:41 PM

Incorrect, it's pointing east on old 44, or straight on what was 58 north/44 west (Now just 58 north). I've seen the signs with my own eyes this past winter.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9192813,-70.8024795,3a,36y,5.58h,91.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2vQEesPUn71178w3k0-hrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What part of '44 east ahead' points to the right along the old road?

empirestate

Beeper1

The little white markers with the numbers?  I believe they mark the location of ROW survey markers for the edge of MassDOT property.

empirestate

Quote from: Beeper1 on July 07, 2017, 12:45:37 AM
The little white markers with the numbers?  I believe they mark the location of ROW survey markers for the edge of MassDOT property.

They do seem to be located at varying distances from the roadway, apparently at the edge of the ROW. The numbers increment by 5's; is there any logic behind that?

roadman

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2017, 12:39:19 AM
What are these? https://goo.gl/maps/u2237x4tN2M2

They are called station markers and denote the highway baseline, not the ROW limits.  Highway stationing is used for planning, survey, and maintenance purposes.  Stations are denoted in 100 foot increments, but the markers are normally spaced every 500 feet.  This is why they are in 5s.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman on July 07, 2017, 09:13:40 AM

They are called station markers and denote the highway baseline, not the ROW limits.  Highway stationing is used for planning, survey, and maintenance purposes.  Stations are denoted in 100 foot increments, but the markers are normally spaced every 500 feet.  This is why they are in 5s.

And they're something being newly installed? I'd never noticed them before (this was on I-91). Or had they already been in use elsewhere?

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on July 06, 2017, 10:31:14 PM

If I had an older street view to show you, before the sign hadn't been clubbed off like in that one, it showed that 44 east turned ahead.

My God NE2, we live up here, we just know some things without photographic evidence. Don't need to be some skeptic about everything...

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on July 07, 2017, 10:23:18 AM
Quote from: NE2 on July 06, 2017, 10:31:14 PM

If I had an older street view to show you, before the sign hadn't been clubbed off like in that one, it showed that 44 east turned ahead.

My God NE2, we live up here, we just know some things without photographic evidence. Don't need to be some skeptic about everything...
I recall from my own travels in that area that that's an elderly sign message from the multiplex days, so I'll agree with you.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2017, 09:45:03 AM
Quote from: roadman on July 07, 2017, 09:13:40 AM

And they're something being newly installed? I'd never noticed them before (this was on I-91). Or had they already been in use elsewhere?

Station markers have been in place for decades.  In the past, replacement of the markers has always been done inconsistently - especially since the early 1990s when much maintenance work was privatized under the Weld/Kersasiotes administration.  However, as part of the whole "state off good repair" program, MassDOT has been paying more attention to "minor" issues like these, especially given FHWA's increasing focus on asset management.  And no, it's not because of the markers themselves, but because the markers provide useful reference to other assets.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman on July 10, 2017, 07:51:58 PMThey are called station markers and denote the highway baseline, not the ROW limits.  Highway stationing is used for planning, survey, and maintenance purposes.  Stations are denoted in 100 foot increments, but the markers are normally spaced every 500 feet.  This is why they are in 5s.

[/quote]

Station markers have been in place for decades.  In the past, replacement of the markers has always been done inconsistently - especially since the early 1990s when much maintenance work was privatized under the Weld/Kersasiotes administration.  However, as part of the whole "state off good repair" program, MassDOT has been paying more attention to "minor" issues like these, especially given FHWA's increasing focus on asset management.  And no, it's not because of the markers themselves, but because the markers provide useful reference to other assets.
[/quote]

Did the late-nineties/early-noughties metrication initiative (which has now collapsed) have an effect on maintenance of station markers?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bob7374

I've added photos I took last weekend of construction along the I-95/128 Add-A-Lane Project work zone to my I-95 in MA Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

bob7374

More road sign fun via the contractors working on the Division 5 Retroreflective Sign Update project. A few years ago I posted this photo under the Department of Redundancy Department thread showing a pair of Jct MA 53 signs in Norwell along MA 228 North caused by the old one not being removed when replaced by a larger version of the sign around 2010:

The Div. 5 sign replacement contractors finally got around to removing the old trailblazer late last month, but, unfortunately, replaced it with a new one, again leaving the relatively new larger version intact:

This leaves the square mile around this sign as not the best place to show off the cost-effectiveness of the MassDOT contract. You have 5 new shields (four 228 and one 53) put up to replace ones that simply should have been taken down. Meanwhile, a few miles north on MA 228 in Hingham you have assemblies like this that should be replaced but are not going to be under the current contract listing:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.