News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida State Road 4a the original Overseas Highway

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 20, 2017, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 14, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 14, 2017, 08:14:04 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 14, 2017, 12:42:11 AM
Thought that I would give this thread a bump.  I was approached this past week about my maps of FL 4a by a museum (I'll edit later if they are okay with name dropping) down in the Keys which is building a digital web page about the history of the Overseas Highway.  I thought that it was cool as all hell they asked to use my maps, I also gave the okay to use my photos from this thread as well from 4a.  Personally it would mean a lot to me to see something like 4a get back into the mainstream backstory/lore of the Overseas Highway...there is way too much history there that shouldn't be forgotten IMO.

Anyways.....I thought that I would bump this page back up to see if anyone happens to have any older maps, bond measures, ect that might make a worthwhile addition for the project I described? 

You should really consider developing a blog or webpage to have a permanent home for these features.  They won't get buried by newer threads - and you'd be surprise how much interest you'll receive from outside the hobby.

I've thought about it now and then over the years.  I tend to back up all these historic road threads on my Flickr Account album descriptions ever since I got that up and running, that is actually where I was approached about 4a.  Apparently the search feature is good enough that you can type in really specific search criteria if there is something really particular you're looking for. 

Tricky thing for me is that I'm not all that web savy anymore.  I'm sure it is a lot easier to create a domain or blog than what I remember a decade-plus ago.  Places like your site, USends, or Alpsroads are good sources of information for me...so I can possibly foresee maybe attempting one down the line?

It is a lot easier today than 5-15 years ago.  Unlike the old gribblenation days, I don't have to spend time resizing images and uploading through ftp.  Plus I never tried to learn code etc - i used Netscape composer.  I use blogger and I think the blog here uses WordPress.

I've enjoyed getting back to blogging (doing pages). Our old gn features were worth preserving and I've been able to work in items that I never got to (old and new) and at a quicker pace.

Blogger allows purchase of a domain name and now that i have time, I've been investigating what options I have with it. Slowly.

You are more than welcome to try posting to sure, why not if you want to give some features a try in that format before starting your own thing. You take excellent photo and I enjoy the background and additional stories and information you include.

If and whenever you may be interested, feel free to drop a note to me offline.

Max Rockatansky

Ironic this post comes full circle.  Just worked up the blog entry on Sure Why Not Now for the 1938/US 1 Overseas Highway and 1928/FL 4a Overseas Highway. 

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/05/2017-southeast-trip-part-13-us-route-1.html

Hopefully this all makes a lot more sense with commentary on the old highway segments.  I tried to track down as much information as I could for all the weird little State Roads in the Keys that were a resulted of US 1 being moved fully to the Overseas Railroad grade.  Just a quick warning, this is a long blog entry even by standards and the 13th entry in a 2017 Southeast Road Trip series.

Max Rockatansky

Been awhile since I touched on the topic of FL 4A in the Keys but I did find a Florida State Road map from 1931 on David Rumsey showing the route:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~314015~90082752:Clason-s-Road-Map-of-Florida?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%20road;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=57&trs=79

What I find pretty cool about the map above (aside from seeing much of the pre-1945 highways) is the dual ferry route that included a center section in Marathon.

edwaleni

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 25, 2019, 11:01:25 PM
Been awhile since I touched on the topic of FL 4A in the Keys but I did find a Florida State Road map from 1931 on David Rumsey showing the route:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~314015~90082752:Clason-s-Road-Map-of-Florida?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:florida%20road;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=57&trs=79

What I find pretty cool about the map above (aside from seeing much of the pre-1945 highways) is the dual ferry route that included a center section in Marathon.

This map was interesting in that it shows a new planned highway from St Marks to Inglis.  It was never built.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: edwaleni on January 26, 2019, 11:37:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 25, 2019, 11:01:25 PM

This map was interesting in that it shows a new planned highway from St Marks to Inglis.  It was never built.

That would have been interesting to see.  I would assume that US 19 was probably intended to be routed out that way along the Gulf?

LinkWW

Thanks for posting this.  I just road my bike over the old road on Sugarloaf and Saddlebunch.  Cool seeing this map.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.