News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Flood of 2019 who flooded I-29

Started by Stephane Dumas, March 23, 2019, 06:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Chris

The Spencer Dam on the Niobrara River in northern Nebraska was washed away, with flooding destroying several bridges downstream, including the US 281 bridge.

Photos by governor Pete Ricketts

Chris

The freeway segment between US 6 and US 275 near Omaha has been destroyed. According to Google Earth this segment is numbered State Road 28B. It crosses the Elkhorn River.

Photos by the Nebraska National Guard

Brandon

Quote from: Chris on March 24, 2019, 02:05:21 PM
The freeway segment between US 6 and US 275 near Omaha has been destroyed. According to Google Earth this segment is numbered State Road 28B.

Link 28B.  The 28 defines what county it is in, and the B means it is the second link in the county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Connecting_Link,_Spur,_and_Recreation_Highways
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Gnutella

MNHighwayMan

Verlanka

Quote from: Brandon on March 24, 2019, 07:14:40 PM
The freeway segment between US 6 and US 275 near Omaha has been destroyed. According to Google Earth this segment is numbered State Road 28B.

Link 28B.  The 28 defines what county it is in, and the B means it is the second link in the county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Connecting_Link,_Spur,_and_Recreation_Highways

But it still is a state highway.

Brandon

Quote from: Verlanka on March 25, 2019, 08:09:37 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 24, 2019, 07:14:40 PM

But it still is a state highway.

Yes, a secondary state highway.  The links (LxxA) and spurs (SxxA) are Nebraska's secondary state route system.  And like it says on the box, they link state routes together, or they are spurs from a state route to somewhere like a town or park.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

intelati49

Quote from: Chris on March 24, 2019, 02:03:59 PM
The Spencer Dam on the Niobrara River in northern Nebraska was washed away, with flooding destroying several bridges downstream, including the US 281 bridge.

Holy Crap.

hbelkins

The freeway segment between US 6 and US 275 near Omaha has been destroyed. According to Google Earth this segment is numbered State Road 28B. It crosses the Elkhorn River.

Photos by the Nebraska National Guard

The pavement damage shown in that photo appears to have been caused by headwaters (flash flooding). I was under the impression that the flooding issue along the Missouri River was due to backwater (the river overflowing its banks and backing up into valleys.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2019, 03:43:24 PM
The pavement damage shown in that photo appears to have been caused by headwaters (flash flooding). I was under the impression that the flooding issue along the Missouri River was due to backwater (the river overflowing its banks and backing up into valleys.)

With all the rain that happened, in addition to the snow melt, there was plenty of both kinds to go around.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Apparently the flooding's going to get worse before it gets better. My train was rerouted from its typical line across southern Iowa (crossing at Burlington) onto a Union Pacific line that crosses at Clinton and roughly parallels US 30 across the state. I didn't see any evidence of flooding getting dangerously close to the line on either side of the Missouri (we paralleled I-29 from Missouri Valley south to near the I-80 crossing), but when we got to California on Monday night (actually Tuesday morning) the return train was only going to go as far east as Denver, and not on to Omaha.

edwaleni

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2019, 03:35:26 PM
Apparently the flooding's going to get worse before it gets better. My train was rerouted from its typical line across southern Iowa (crossing at Burlington) onto a Union Pacific line that crosses at Clinton and roughly parallels US 30 across the state. I didn't see any evidence of flooding getting dangerously close to the line on either side of the Missouri (we paralleled I-29 from Missouri Valley south to near the I-80 crossing), but when we got to California on Monday night (actually Tuesday morning) the return train was only going to go as far east as Denver, and not on to Omaha.

Trains magazine was reporting that Amtrak trains were bypassing Omaha until further notice.  A westbound California Zephyr was re-routed south.

Stephane Dumas

hotdogPi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 10, 2019, 10:24:04 PM
Things might get worse, there's another monster winter storm coming.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-10/its-spring-and-monster-winter-storm-about-punish-central-us

While it's hard to push a POV regarding weather, I would still be wary of that website.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 10, 2019, 10:55:10 PM
The detour route for I-29, between Missouri Valley (US 30) and Council Bluffs, is having its own issues right now.
https://www.wowt.com/content/news/HEARTLAND-FLOOD-Big-concerns-for-small-Iowa-town-508354041.html?fbclid=IwAR0UrCWKgjdz4YyffvGuUBMjDeccpil_j1T38otW1mkBbI9d3tmlU1J7LG8

Actually, there are -- or were -- more trains using that line. That's the detour route that Amtrak used between Chicago and Omaha. The Amtrak line actually used UP locomotives and engineers because they were familiar with the route, and they changed in Omaha to the regular Amtrak equipment.

Revive 755

From recent travels: The I-29 detour is being signed on I-80 using only the overhead permanent and temporary changeable message boards.  Out near Council Bluffs there a few new full color CMS's being used for the detour/closure with I-29 shields shown.  IIRC the first mention of the closure is near Grinnell on I-80 WB.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Couple of photos I took of the Missouri River (into Iowa) from Plattemouth, Neb. last week.

And yes, I found traffic on US 75, between US 36 (in Kansas) and Omaha to be heavier than it should, due to I-29's closure.

mvak36

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 21, 2019, 08:49:11 PM
And yes, I found traffic on US 75, between US 36 (in Kansas) and Omaha to be heavier than it should, due to I-29's closure.

I ended up taking KS-63/NE-50 from US36 last month when I went up to Omaha. It was a pretty nice drive. The only bad part was being stuck behind a very slow car north of Syracuse, but it worked out because the place I was going to is a mile from NE-50.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ModernDayWarrior

That didn't last long... I-29 is closed again, at least from St. Joseph to the Iowa border: https://www.modot.org/2019-northwest-missouri-flooding

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.