News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bourne & Sagamore Bridges

Started by southshore720, October 04, 2019, 10:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: pderocco on November 17, 2019, 10:27:08 PM
I'm surprised they're not talking about a third bridge in the middle, carrying a direct freeway connection between MA-25 on the mainland and US-6 on the Cape. It's an obvious route, and it would connect most of the Cape (everything except the Falmouth area) to most of the rest of the world (everything except the Boston area). And it would reduce the cost of replacing the other two bridges, since four travel lanes would probably be enough for the reduced traffic on them.
You would still need permission from the Corps to build over the canal.

I believe a study was done that showed a completely new freeway construction would disrupt the nesting place of several species of migratory birds.

DJ Particle

Quote from: pderocco on November 17, 2019, 10:27:08 PM
I'm surprised they're not talking about a third bridge in the middle, carrying a direct freeway connection between MA-25 on the mainland and US-6 on the Cape. It's an obvious route, and it would connect most of the Cape (everything except the Falmouth area) to most of the rest of the world (everything except the Boston area). And it would reduce the cost of replacing the other two bridges, since four travel lanes would probably be enough for the reduced traffic on them.
If this were to happen, I see the following happening as well:

US-6 would be rerouted onto the new bridge, connecting MA-25 in Plymouth with the Mid-Cape Highway in Sandwich (making US-6 shorter by about 2-3 miles or so).

MA-3 would be extended to Sandwich taking over the former US-6, ending at the new exit (making MA-3 longer by about 2-3 miles as well).

No direct connection from South MA-3 to West US-6 (Must go via South MA-3A [former US-6 along the north end of the Canal] or West MA-6A [Sandwich Rd.])

No direct connection from West MA-25 to East US-6 (Must go via same connectors noted above)

US-6 would be multiplexed with MA-25 from the new exit to current Exit 2.

And frankly, by that point, why even have the MA-25 designation at all?  Just have MA-28 take it over and multiplex a bit on I-495 to meet up with its current routing.

PHLBOS

Quote from: DJ Particle on November 19, 2019, 04:37:36 AMAnd frankly, by that point, why even have the MA-25 designation at all?  Just have MA-28 take it over and multiplex a bit on I-495 to meet up with its current routing.
Personally, I would had MA 25 be an extension of I-195.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 19, 2019, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: DJ Particle on November 19, 2019, 04:37:36 AMAnd frankly, by that point, why even have the MA-25 designation at all?  Just have MA-28 take it over and multiplex a bit on I-495 to meet up with its current routing.
Personally, I would had MA 25 be an extension of I-195.

Route 25 was the former designation of what is now I-495 east of Route 24, so I almost want to extend 495 down if it wouldn't violate numbering rules. That cloverleaf at 495/24 (along with 495 north/west of there) didn't exist and the 24 expressway simply forked. But alas, numbering rules are a thing, so I-195 it would need to be.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Please take what-if route numberings to Fictional Highways.

seicer

https://www.wcvb.com/article/replacement-designs-for-sagamore-bourne-bridges-unveiled-public-opinion-sought/41989090

MassDOT has unveiled three renderings of potential replacement designs for the Sagamore and Bourne bridges.

Construction for the $4 billion project that will add a third travel lane in each direction on both bridges is slated to begin in 2027 and finish by 2034.

--

My thoughts:
Concrete box girder: yuck.
Cable stayed suspension: yawn.
Arch: Hell yes.

SectorZ

Quote from: seicer on November 18, 2022, 09:15:22 AM
https://www.wcvb.com/article/replacement-designs-for-sagamore-bourne-bridges-unveiled-public-opinion-sought/41989090

MassDOT has unveiled three renderings of potential replacement designs for the Sagamore and Bourne bridges.

Construction for the $4 billion project that will add a third travel lane in each direction on both bridges is slated to begin in 2027 and finish by 2034.

--

My thoughts:
Concrete box girder: yuck.
Cable stayed suspension: yawn.
Arch: Hell yes.

The arches do look the best of them. Appears that may go the fastest as well despite tying up the canal traffic more than the other choices.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.