What book are you reading, and what do you think of it?

Started by kphoger, February 15, 2020, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Well, I did a quick search and didn't see a thread devoted to this.  I know a lot of members here enjoy reading, and I suspect a few might even enjoy reading books that aren't about roads, transportation, or infrastructure.

What book are you currently reading?  Why did you pick it?  Do you like it?  Would you recommend it to others?  Are you reading it in print, on a Kindle, or what?  Etc.?

I recently started reading The Brothers Karamazov (abridged edition), the final novel by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, published in series in 1879-80.  Recently, I had a hankering to get into a book, but I never know what kind of book to get from the library.  Never having read a Russian novel before, I decided to check one out.  Not wanting to read a book as long as War and Peace, I looked for something more manageable, and The Brothers Karamazov seemed like one I might at least halfway enjoy.

So far, I'm about 30 pages in, out of about 720 (it's only about 6 inches tall), and I'm not sure what I think yet.  It seems that I'm still in the introductory part of the story–telling the characters' back-stories before getting to meat of the story.  But, not being at all familiar with the book, I don't yet know what to expect–say–100 pages from now.  It's certainly a different type of story-telling than I'm used to, with quite a bit of narrator-perspective commentary about the characters.  Thumbing through the pages to come, however, it appears to be much more conversation-driven later on in the book.  So I guess I don't know yet if I like the book or not.  Time will tell.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2020, 07:54:46 PM
Well, I did a quick search and didn't see a thread devoted to this.  I know a lot of members here enjoy reading, and I suspect a few might even enjoy reading books that aren't about roads, transportation, or infrastructure.

What book are you currently reading?  Why did you pick it?  Do you like it?  Would you recommend it to others?  Are you reading it in print, on a Kindle, or what?  Etc.?

I recently started reading The Brothers Karamazov (abridged edition), the final novel by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, published in series in 1879-80.  Recently, I had a hankering to get into a book, but I never know what kind of book to get from the library.  Never having read a Russian novel before, I decided to check one out.  Not wanting to read a book as long as War and Peace, I looked for something more manageable, and The Brothers Karamazov seemed like one I might at least halfway enjoy.

So far, I'm about 30 pages in, out of about 720 (it's only about 6 inches tall), and I'm not sure what I think yet.  It seems that I'm still in the introductory part of the story–telling the characters' back-stories before getting to meat of the story.  But, not being at all familiar with the book, I don't yet know what to expect–say–100 pages from now.  It's certainly a different type of story-telling than I'm used to, with quite a bit of narrator-perspective commentary about the characters.  Thumbing through the pages to come, however, it appears to be much more conversation-driven later on in the book.  So I guess I don't know yet if I like the book or not.  Time will tell.
Homestuck and let me tell you about it LOL

Max Rockatansky

I'm presently reading Harrison Scott's book on the Ridge Route.  While the old photos and infrastructure development is great I kind of feel like there are a couple things that are missing.  The Stockton-Los Angeles Road and El Camino Viejo are larger glossed over or omitted which is a huge omission..  But to that end I tend to think the Ridge Route is very much overblown in terms of it's importance, it was replaced shortly after it was built. 

hbelkins

Not reading anything now, but the last book I read was an e-borrowed copy of "Hillbilly Elegy" on the Libby app on my iPad. I wanted to read it because the author's family is from my area, and the book was so polarizing to so many people. I enjoyed it; I didn't find it to be an indictment of a culture or a region as so many people did, but rather the story of one person's family and his grandparents' life in eastern Kentucky, and his family's subsequent migration to Ohio (as did many from this area seeking factory work back decades ago).

I wish I had more time to read. Between work and home obligations and sleep, I don't see how people find time to read as much as they do.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2020, 08:39:27 PM
I wish I had more time to read. Between work and home obligations and sleep, I don't see how people find time to read as much as they do.

I've decided that, if I have enough time to watch a dozen videos on YouTube, then I have enough time to read a book.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

I have also read Hillbilly Elegy.

I read a lot of detective fiction.  At the moment I'm working my way through C.J. Box's Joe Pickett books, where the investigator character is a game warden in north-central Wyoming.  I'm also in the middle of research for a project, so I've been either reading or heavily skimming books on Afghanistan, women's prisons, combat handgunnery, and self-defense techniques.

As for how people manage to read so many books a year, some rely on audiobooks (useful for long commutes) while others carry around books (or an e-reader) to take advantage of lunch hours and other small chunks of free time.  Publishers' current word count standards for genre fiction are fairly low--a romance novel can be as short as 40,000 words, while 80,000-110,000 words is about the limit for detective novels--and that makes a difference.  Classic novels from the 19th century tend to be a lot longer.

About 90%-95% of the books I read in a given year are print copies.  The rest are ebooks.  I have an old gray-screen Kindle, but typically use e-reader apps on my phone or tablet.  Of the ebooks I read, about 80%-90% of them are in Kindle format, though I have read several in Adobe ePub.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

The last physical book I read was How the States Got Their Shapes.  It's exactly what it says in the title, and is naturally a blend of history and geography.

Not an actual book, but still literature, I'm currently reading the online serial Ward, the sequel to Worm.  Here's the official description:
An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local "˜cape' scene's politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.

I can't recommend the series enough.  If you like a series with lots of worldbuilding and details to analyze, Worm and Ward have a lot of that.  The author is also very good with characterization.  There are very few characters (even antagonists) who you don't feel sympathetic for when you read their interludes (the story is mostly first person narration from the protagonist, with periodic interlude chapters in third person limited narration following a specific character).  I should warn anyone interesting in reading, however, that both Worm and Ward can get quite dark (seriously, I mean darker than the Netflix series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - which I also highly recommend).  They're also quite long, at approximately three times as long as War and Peace.  Each.  And Ward isn't finished yet, as far as I know (still only through chapter 14.3 as I post this).

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 15, 2020, 09:50:41 PM
About 90%-95% of the books I read in a given year are print copies.  The rest are ebooks.  I have an old gray-screen Kindle, but typically use e-reader apps on my phone or tablet.  Of the ebooks I read, about 80%-90% of them are in Kindle format, though I have read several in Adobe ePub.
I have an older Kindle, but I'm switching back to paper books, which, while they do take up shelf space, are nicer to read and easy to skim to re-read one's favorite passages from.  I'm actually in the process of replacing my favorite books that I got for my Kindle with print copies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

Quote from: vdeane on February 15, 2020, 10:04:15 PM
The last physical book I read was How the States Got Their Shapes.  It's exactly what it says in the title, and is naturally a blend of history and geography.

I just happened to pick up that same book yesterday at B&N (it was on clearance for $5).

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2020, 07:54:46 PM

[...]

[...]

I recently started one of Dostoevsky's first books, Notes from the Underground. I'm trying to like it, but it's very dry, heavy, and rich with ideas. A lot of mid-19th century European literature tends to be the same way. Ultimately, it comes off as cold and aloof, much like the country it was written in and about. The book could use a little more charm and personality.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Beltway

For a class that I am taking --

Major Bible Themes: 52 Vital Doctrines of the Scripture Simplified and Explained, 1974, by John F. Walvoord (Author), Lewis Sperry Chafer (Author)

Amazon description --
In an age characterized by skepticism and ignorance of the Holy Scriptures, this timely volume clearly sets forth the biblical truths and teachings that long have been cherished by Christians.  Virtually a classic for this century, Major Bible Themes includes chapters on doctrines that merit particular attention in the contemporary religious scene, such as the Holy Spirit, the nature of the Church, and the second coming of Christ.  Designed for group and individual study, for pastors, laymen, and students, Major Bible Themes is an indispensable tool, providing the biblical basis for fifty-two doctrines, complete with topical and Scripture indexes.  Questions for discussion and review follow each chapter.  Whether your purpose is to explore Bible doctrines as a new Christian, to erase confusion stemming from conflicting views in the contemporary church, or to establish a stronger basis for witnessing to your beliefs, Major Bible Themes is essential for study and reference.

Lewis Sperry Chafer was the founding chancellor of the Dallas Theological Seminary, and he wrote the original version of this book in 1926.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Last book I read was a soon-to-be published script of a friend of mine.  Basically talks about the nature of work, how to develop a work ethic and how lazy kids are today.  Stuff boomers will eat up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

"Ecological Urbanism" by Moshen Mostafavi and several other contributors.  It's big, but the chapters tend to be short.  I should have read it a long time ago, but I remember it being more expensive in the past.  Some of the ideas are fascinating, but it kind of feels like a mixed bag.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kurumi

How the States Got Their Shapes was very interesting, and I recommend that for any American roadgeek here.

I'm reading this right now (very slowly)

but I'll rep the previous book instead: Lovecraft Country by Mark Ruff. It's the tale of a black science-fiction author in Jim Crow America. There are cosmic horrors and plain old human evil. There's a TV series coming up, with Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams involved.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

noelbotevera

Very, very gradually working on Ulysses by James Joyce. One of those books you have to read aloud to even understand, much less understand the plot. I'm on page 13 of 430 (or so); all I know is that the main characters are preparing breakfast and having their morning routine.

Also planning on reading Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix manga soon - apparently that's considered his masterpiece.

Max Rockatansky

A side thought, how much does everyone actually read presently?  Right now I might read two to four books a year.  When I was younger I would read at least twenty no problem either out of obligation or boredom. 

Rothman

I read far fewer books than I used to.  I rarely even read books anymore.

I actually tack this up to the amount of reading I do on the Internet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

I probably average about 5 books per month.  I read while I'm eating lunch, and again before bed.  Sometimes I get to read for a couple hours on the weekends.

I recently read a C J Box book in the Cassie Dewall series.  Yesterday I finished one James Patterson book and am beginning another.

J N Winkler

I don't have reliable numbers for books read per year before 2013, because until 2012, I used to record books I had read in a Word file without notating the dates I had finished them.  Now I have a recording method that automatically timestamps every new book entry, and although I don't necessarily record a book on the same day I finish it, I do try to log it within the same month.

Books read per year 2013-2019 inclusive have fluctuated from a high of 127 in 2013 to a low of 93 in 2014.  In 2015-2019 inclusive I read more than 100 books annually, ranging from a low of 101 in 2016 to a high of 113 in 2018.

I have found myself trying not to fall under 100 books read per year, but I don't try to read many more per year because that leads to me falling behind on a New Yorker subscription.  I would be prepared to accept annual totals under 100 if a substantial proportion of the books read were doorstop classics from the 19th century (not just the Russian greats like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, but also a lot of Dickens, Thackeray, Trollope, Eliot, Hardy, as well as Melville's Moby Dick), but those can be really slow going.

I am a fairly slow reader, but watch very little TV at present.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

nexus73

"The Last Innocents" by Michael Leahy is the current read over here.  It is about the Dodgers in LA during the time stars like Drysdale, Koufax, Maury and such were rising with the backdrop being the societal changes taking place in the early 60's which portended what was to come (integration, the Free Speech movement, free agency in baseball).  If sports plus our national culture are of interest, then by all means read the book!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ozarkman417

As a school assignment, I am reading Nineteen-Eighty-Four. I am near the end of the second part of the book (which is about half-way through the book). I picked up the book shortly after reading Animal Farm, as they are similar in that it shares Orwell's hatred of Stalinist Communism. I had a choice of several books to read other than 1984, including Brave New World and Lord of the Flies.

I don't read a whole lot of books outside of school, as I spend too much time either doing other schoolwork or playing video games.

Beltway

100+ books per year?  I'm not sure what my total is, but probably in the 10 to 20 range per year.

Amazon gives access to finding long out-of-print books, and I have found some treasures there; probably half of my readings.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

nexus73

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 16, 2020, 01:47:09 PM
As a school assignment, I am reading Nineteen-Eighty-Four. I am near the end of the second part of the book (which is about half-way through the book). I picked up the book shortly after reading Animal Farm, as they are similar in that it shares Orwell's hatred of Stalinist Communism. I had a choice of several books to read other than 1984, including Brave New World and Lord of the Flies.

I don't read a whole lot of books outside of school, as I spend too much time either doing other schoolwork or playing video games.

Here is a good animated video made by the guy who runs Alternate History Hub, which explores the world of "1984".  It will cost you 15 minutes and some seconds of your life to see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQxOKXEff4I&t=2s

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ozarkman417

Quote from: nexus73 on February 16, 2020, 05:14:14 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 16, 2020, 01:47:09 PM

Here is a good animated video made by the guy who runs Alternate History Hub, which explores the world of "1984".  It will cost you 15 minutes and some seconds of your life to see it...

(snipped)

Rick
I started to watch the video, but I figured I would at least finish the book first. Spoilers, and all.

Quote from: kurumi on February 16, 2020, 12:15:39 AM
How the States Got Their Shapes was very interesting, and I recommend that for any American roadgeek here.
Didn't that get turned in to a short-lived TV show of some sort?

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2020, 01:05:45 AM
A side thought, how much does everyone actually read presently?  Right now I might read two to four books a year.  When I was younger I would read at least twenty no problem either out of obligation or boredom. 

My reading has dropped bigtime in the last two months now that I have a new job and am no longer commuting on the subway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 81

The Only Plane in the Sky and Into the Planet: My Life as a Cave Diver as print books. Blowout as an audio book. Go, Flight: The Unsung Heroes of Mission Control, and the Mistborn trilogy as ebooks. 

I read a lot, mostly for pleasure (or at least interest). Brian Sanderson (Mistborn) writes enthralling fiction, and the rest are all holding my interest.

Print books will always be my preference in general; I like audiobooks or at least the spoken word while driving while a tablet (dim, dark, red-shifted settings) works well for me to read in bed. So, as strange as it sounds to younger me, older me has settled into this pattern of having several books going at once.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.