News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Car of 2050

Started by kernals12, December 17, 2023, 10:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Quote from: Road Hog on December 20, 2023, 03:01:35 AM
The car of 1950 isn't much different than the car of 2000. They both have four wheels, a steering wheel, a transmission, a driveshaft, a windshield, a speedometer, and an engine.

The exterior stylings are clearly different as well as the engineering improvements, but that is all largely background. My uncle, a mechanic's mechanic, tried and failed to get a 1942 Ford pickup running but the interior wasn't much different from a modern car.

Tell me you're being facetious

kalvado

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2023, 09:57:36 AM
The car of 1950 isn't much different than the car of 2000. They both have four wheels, a steering wheel, a transmission, a driveshaft, a windshield, a speedometer, and an engine.

The exterior stylings are clearly different as well as the engineering improvements, but that is all largely background. My uncle, a mechanic's mechanic, tried and failed to get a 1942 Ford pickup running but the interior wasn't much different from a modern car.

Why, this isn't fundamentally wrong.

Try to list actual major changes..
-electronic injection
-transmission: manual - automatic - CVT
-rear - front - 4 wheel drive
-catalytic converter
-cylinder honing
-higher compression and better fuel
-airbags
-much better crash survivability
-computational fluid dynamics optimized body
(added later)
-ABS and its advanced forms like traction control
-emerging driver aids, like following distance and blind spot control
-autodriver isn't here yet.

anything else you can add?  Although these are great things, none of them is a conceptual change to a "car as a box with a motor, 4 wheels, some chairs etc" 

kernals12

Since 1967, as a portion of personal income, the cost of new cars has fallen by over 80% accounting for quality improvements.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=1cY22

SectorZ

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2023, 05:58:59 PM
Since 1967, as a portion of personal income, the cost of new cars has fallen by over 80% accounting for quality improvements.

I had a dog named Fred once.

Big John

Quote from: SectorZ on December 20, 2023, 06:50:43 PM

I had a dog named Fred once.
Ricky Ricardo Jr.?

kalvado

Or maybe not

Big John

^^ He put in the qualifier of quality improvements added.

kalvado

Quote from: Big John on December 20, 2023, 07:35:18 PM
^^ He put in the qualifier of quality improvements added.
But the grass was much greener back then!

Max Rockatansky

Makes one wonder though, how much of the improvements would really be purchased by the average buyer if they had not been mandated?  Stuff like safety and emission regulations certainly weren't free in the 1970s nor are now.  The cost always gets passed onto the consumer somewhere.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2023, 07:45:52 PM
Makes one wonder though, how much of the improvements would really be purchased by the average buyer if they had not been mandated?  Stuff like safety and emission regulations certainly weren't free in the 1970s nor are now.  The cost always gets passed onto the consumer somewhere.

There's been no laws mandating all the extra horsepower today's engines have or things like air conditioning, heated seats, and power windows.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2023, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2023, 07:45:52 PM

There's been no laws mandating all the extra horsepower today's engines have or things like air conditioning, heated seats, and power windows.

So, if you get to cherry-pick data that agrees fully with the narrative you are trying to spin how come any of us can't find counter points?  Cars are one of those items which in the last half century have out paced inflation. I don't know what the point all these futurism posts are when all you seem to be after is agreement with your opinions.  I gather this didn't go well for you on Reddit, why do you think it will go better on a road forum?

DriverDave

I probably wouldn't trust self-driving cars, plus that takes away alot of the enjoyment of driving. Personally I prefer the warmer weather, although one climate theory is that GW will actually cause some winters to be colder, so I don't know. Miami is lucky to essentially not have a winter.

kernals12

Quote from: DriverDave on December 20, 2023, 11:03:37 PM
I probably wouldn't trust self-driving cars, plus that takes away alot of the enjoyment of driving. Personally I prefer the warmer weather, although one climate theory is that GW will actually cause some winters to be colder, so I don't know. Miami is lucky to essentially not have a winter.
What does that have to do with anything?

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on December 21, 2023, 04:17:41 AM

Oh, we're smart enough to connect any two dots, even if they weren't meant to be connected.

a.  Self-driving cars might be less trustworthy in winter weather.
b.  The car of 2050 will be all-electric, but batteries are adversely affected by the cold of weather.
c.  |DriverDave| is lousy at winter driving, therefore he enjoys it less than summer driving.
d.  ... ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kernals12 on December 21, 2023, 04:17:41 AM
Achievement unlocked: trolled troll!

Max Rockatansky

Henry

Quote from: kalvado on December 20, 2023, 10:10:26 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2023, 09:57:36 AM

Why, this isn't fundamentally wrong.

Try to list actual major changes..
-electronic injection
-transmission: manual - automatic - CVT
-rear - front - 4 wheel drive
-catalytic converter
-cylinder honing
-higher compression and better fuel
-airbags
-much better crash survivability
-computational fluid dynamics optimized body
(added later)
-ABS and its advanced forms like traction control
-emerging driver aids, like following distance and blind spot control
-autodriver isn't here yet.

anything else you can add?  Although these are great things, none of them is a conceptual change to a "car as a box with a motor, 4 wheels, some chairs etc" 
I got one: For engine, it would be "Internal combustion -- hybrid -- all-electric motor".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SectorZ

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on December 21, 2023, 10:19:36 PM

I got one: For engine, it would be "Internal combustion -- hybrid -- all-electric motor".

Sounds to me like a mini version of a modern-day railroad locomotive.   :nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.