Precise lines, inside and out   
Unprecedented use of carbon fiber   
60 miles on a single charge   
The longest range of any hybrid   
(End of website pitch)   

It's only $155,000. Well, starting at.   

Proceed with caution

Takumi

The new Acura TLX looks very promising. Can't say that about the now-decade-old Lexus IS "new"  generation.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Generally I'm not a fan of the emergence of CUVs or electric vehicles.  Its not that either is bad, I personally just find them kind of boring and vanilla.  I find that odd to say given how formulaic sedans really got as the 70s, 80s, and 90s churned onward towards modern times.  Some of the things going on with performance cars is absolutely amazing in terms of power and efficiency.  The reemergence of muscle cars/pony cars the past two decades is something personally I've enjoyed having owned a 2010 Camaro SS and a 2016 Challenger Scat pack.  I couldn't fathom buying cars with 400 plus horsepower on the regular in the 1990s and really all of the 2000s.

Tonytone

Quote from: Takumi on July 15, 2020, 09:42:02 PM
The new Acura TLX looks very promising. Can't say that about the now-decade-old Lexus IS "new"  generation.

I can't wait to buy a brand new Acura TL(X) when I have the money.

My first car was a Acura TL 98 addition, powered seats, ash tray doors & leather/woodgrain. It was a luxury car for even 2015, sadly it passed away due to transmission issues.

I will always be a Acura Boy.

Also those new NSX's  :awesomeface:
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2020, 09:49:47 PM
Generally I'm not a fan of the emergence of CUVs or electric vehicles.  Its not that either is bad, I personally just find them kind of boring and vanilla.  I find that odd to say given how formulaic sedans really got as the 70s, 80s, and 90s churned onward towards modern times.  Some of the things going on with performance cars is absolutely amazing in terms of power and efficiency.  The reemergence of muscle cars/pony cars the past two decades is something personally I've enjoyed having owned a 2010 Camaro SS and a 2016 Challenger Scat pack.  I couldn't fathom buying cars with 400 plus horsepower on the regular in the 1990s and really all of the 2000s.

Did you see ford is dropping there Electric F-150 next year? Id love to hear how that sounds and how long it lasts on a charge for a working day, not a suburb dad going to the golf course day.

It also is amazing how much horse power vehicles have now.

But what did you think of the new bronco's? good or bust? I personally love them, my right hand man says they look like the car that looks like a Land Rover but its not, I forgot the name of it.

it will be a good competition for Jeep and I like the direction ford is finally going in after creating some of the ugliest cars of the 90's & 2000's

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 15, 2020, 10:30:09 PM

Did you see ford is dropping there Electric F-150 next year? Id love to hear how that sounds and how long it lasts on a charge for a working day, not a suburb dad going to the golf course day.

But what did you think of the new bronco's? good or bust? I personally love them, my right hand man says they look like the car that looks like a Land Rover but its not, I forgot the name of it.

it will be a good competition for Jeep and I like the direction ford is finally going in after creating some of the ugliest cars of the 90's & 2000's

I can't see myself as a buyer of a fully electric vehicle for several reasons:

-  The premium compared to a traditional internal combustion engine.  There is still too far of a gap in price for a vehicle to be worth it to me to make the jump to electric.  You can't really collect an electric vehicle like you can an internal combustion engine...but I'm getting that. 
-  In terms of longevity it really isn't all that practical with fully electric vehicles.  That's simply due to the fact that at some point the electric motor needs to be replaced.  To that end the costs associated with replacing a motor really aren't worth it versus just getting a new vehicle.
-  Range is a huge issue for me.  I tend to take trips which exceed 500 miles or go to very remote areas that don't have charging stations and likely never will (example; National Forests).  If ranges get to 400, 500, 600, or a greater number of miles then I might be more interested. 

I like the Bronco but at the same time it's getting concerning how many vehicles rely on nostalgia.  While that's great at times it makes me question why new ideas can't be fresh and new but still inspire muscular styling?  Cars in particular are really struggling right now with new ideas.  Regarding the Bronco I believe it's on the Ranger platform?

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2020, 10:58:51 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 15, 2020, 10:30:09 PM

I can't see myself as a buyer of a fully electric vehicle for several reasons:

-  The premium compared to a traditional internal combustion engine.  There is still too far of a gap in price for a vehicle to be worth it to me to make the jump to electric.  You can't really collect an electric vehicle like you can an internal combustion engine...but I'm getting that. 
-  In terms of longevity it really isn't all that practical with fully electric vehicles.  That's simply due to the fact that at some point the electric motor needs to be replaced.  To that end the costs associated with replacing a motor really aren't worth it versus just getting a new vehicle.
-  Range is a huge issue for me.  I tend to take trips which exceed 500 miles or go to very remote areas that don't have charging stations and likely never will (example; National Forests).  If ranges get to 400, 500, 600, or a greater number of miles then I might be more interested. 

I like the Bronco but at the same time it's getting concerning how many vehicles rely on nostalgia.  While that's great at times it makes me question why new ideas can't be fresh and new but still inspire muscular styling?  Cars in particular are really struggling right now with new ideas.  Regarding the Bronco I believe it's on the Ranger platform?

Wow so electric cars aren't cheaper than gas vehicles still? I mean the base model Tesla is cheaper then most cars even with the auto pilot. how long does electric car engines last? longer than the regular or shorter? I would think more since it has less dirt and grime that comes with it.

I think we can also see the emergent of charging stations everywhere in the next 10+ years, maybe if they can start using solar power to power them in more remote locations the use of electric cars will be more feasible especially with increased range.

Also you may be right the bronco might be. I think the come back of old school cars is good if it's done right like you said, but you know the first generation is always the tester, after that they will remove and add what is liked/disliked.

The attitude of cars is more luxury now compared to before and people want SUV's/Trucks now more than before. Remember people started buying cars again because of 2009.

Max Rockatansky

Regarding electric motors that are battery based they definitely won't hold up on the long term.  Most automakers usually have something like a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the electric motor, it will need to be replaced eventually no matter what.  With an internal combustion engine one could indefinitely maintain it provide they were willing to dump money into keeping it alive.  That makes me question how many electric cars will be collectors items given that replacement parts probably will be a huge issue after 15-20 years. 

With charging stations they are common in urban areas but definitely not in rural areas.  Essentially that hugely limits the demographic to largely urban customers.  I can't fathom electric charging stations being a thing in wilderness areas such as National Forests, Bureau of Land Managment areas, and make even Park Service lands. 

With electric car prices it will be a premium over an internal combustion engine for some time.  There are less electric vehicles made and it's still relatively new tech.  As time wears on the prices will get closer to internal combustion engines but it will take time. 

Cars are largely dying, they general  don't offer the utility of a CUV.  Most CUVs have design invitations whereas cars tend to be stuck in the same formula that was popular for volume automakers in the 1980s.  Most automakers are dropping more and more cars in favor of CUVs given they are what is selling nowadays.  That said the way I would describe an CUV is as such; a combination of the best attributes of Mini Van and Station Wagon but little of the stodginess.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Tonytone on July 15, 2020, 08:21:41 PM
Bronco 2021

I'm going to step in with the unpopular opinion and say I hate it.  Why?  It screams "To hell with aerodynamics, 'cuz aesthetics!"  I can see right through it.  It's pretentious design at its worst, capitalizing on nostalgia for selective memory of a past that lacks good reason to be resurrected--the opposite of "form follows function."
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Henry

Crossovers are definitely the pick of the litter these days, although the car is hanging on for a little bit longer, mainly in the form of import models like Camry, Accord, Altima, Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Impreza, Legacy, Sonata, Elantra, Jetta, Passat, Mazda 3 and 6, plus the luxury marques Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and others. Save for Cadillac, no American automaker is building sedans these days, but they're better off with the crossovers anyway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Henry on July 16, 2020, 09:53:26 AM
Crossovers are definitely the pick of the litter these days, although the car is hanging on for a little bit longer, mainly in the form of import models like Camry, Accord, Altima, Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Impreza, Legacy, Sonata, Elantra, Jetta, Passat, Mazda 3 and 6, plus the luxury marques Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and others. Save for Cadillac, no American automaker is building sedans these days, but they're better off with the crossovers anyway.

Why are crossovers better than sedans?  Crossovers are just tall station wagons.  If you don't need much cargo space, why bother with a station wagon in the first place?  And why make it taller when you're probably adding wind resistance and reducing cornering ability?

With a sedan, if you're just driving yourself, the seats are usually all the cargo space you need.  The trunk is there for when you have passengers with bags.  If you're going to be driving multiple passengers with lots of bags, then, sure, go for the station wagon.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 16, 2020, 10:06:06 AM

Why are crossovers better than sedans?  Crossovers are just tall station wagons.  If you don't need much cargo space, why bother with a station wagon in the first place?  And why make it taller when you're probably adding wind resistance and reducing cornering ability?

With a sedan, if you're just driving yourself, the seats are usually all the cargo space you need.  The trunk is there for when you have passengers with bags.  If you're going to be driving multiple passengers with lots of bags, then, sure, go for the station wagon.

I would add that I'm one of the customers that chose a sedan in favor of a CUV.  The Impreza suited my needs just fine and has a cargo capacity that worked for me.  The off road capabilities were plenty adequate for what I was looking to do as well.  So why would I want to spend the extra money to purchase a CrossTrek or Forester?  I regularly transport four or five people to places like National Parks and they seem to be comfortable in all the seats. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:12:58 AM

I would add that I'm one of the customers that chose a sedan in favor of a CUV.  The Impreza suited my needs just fine and has a cargo capacity that worked for me.  The off road capabilities were plenty adequate for what I was looking to do as well.  So why would I want to spend the extra money to purchase a CrossTrek or Forester?  I regularly transport four or five people to places like National Parks and they seem to be comfortable in all the seats.
Because, you ever heard the phrase bigger is better? I think thats how the economy & people are thinking right now.

iPhone

Tonytone

Like I said before, sedans are looked at as a luxury vehicle now, while CUV, SUV & Trucks are looked at as business/family vehicles.

IMO. I think both sedans & SUVs are good for certain activities & places.

Driving your Dodge Ram from Delaware to the outer banks, yea its ok if you plan to spend $100's on gas.

This is where the BMW would come into play, driving that to the outer banks is not only better on gas & etc, but now your cool.

But in all seriousness it seems ww are getting back to the days of boat cars, just with better aerodynamics.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 16, 2020, 06:57:10 AM
Bronco 2021

I'm going to step in with the unpopular opinion and say I hate it.  Why?  It screams "To hell with aerodynamics, 'cuz aesthetics!"  I can see right through it.  It's pretentious design at its worst, capitalizing on nostalgia for selective memory of a past that lacks good reason to be resurrected--the opposite of "form follows function."
Excuse me sir. The ranger rover, trucks & all SUV's including the mega SUV HUMMER would like a word with you about "aesthetics & aerodynamics"

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 09:29:24 PM

Because, you ever heard the phrase bigger is better? I think thats how the economy & people are thinking right now.

iPhone

People who say that don't hang out on one lane Forest Service roads.  Even the hardcore SUV guys tend to stick vehicles of smaller dimensions like the Wrangler. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 10:24:53 PM

iPhone

People who say that don't hang out on one lane Forest Service roads.  Even the hardcore SUV guys tend to stick vehicles of smaller dimensions like the Wrangler.
Oh god. Ive seen dudes in coal rollin diesels on the c&D canel here in Delaware.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 10:30:04 PM

iPhone

Oh god. Ive seen dudes in coal rollin diesels on the c&D canel here in Delaware.

iPhone

Delaware doesn't exactly have a lot of street crew (pun intended) in the off road community.  There was lot of dudes with lifted two wheel drive trucks in Florida who thought they were badasses because they drove a road in the Green Swamp once.  On roads like the Dush Ershim OHV Trail and Shaffer Canyon Road (this is an infinitely longer list) you don't generally see monster size SUVs.  It's a different ball game when you're on a single track dirt road 9,000 feet plus in elevation facing a grade in excess of 25%. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:27:38 PM

iPhone

iPhone

Delaware doesn't exactly have a lot of street crew (pun intended) in the off road community.  There was lot of dudes with lifted two wheel drive trucks in Florida who thought they were badasses because they drove a road in the Green Swamp once.  On roads like the Dush Ershim OHV Trail and Shaffer Canyon Road (this is an infinitely longer list) you don't generally see monster size SUVs.  It's a different ball game when you're on a single track dirt road 9,000 feet plus in elevation facing a grade in excess of 25%.
Oh yea what you describe is real deal off roading.

Those dudes in the big Trucks would probably turn around if they saw a real off road course.

Delaware sadly does not have a real off road crew like you said, we do have a lot if "salt life"  people car shows with modded hondas, jeeps, trucks & luxury cars, as well as sub sound systems.

I do plan to bring low riders to the area though.

Also what car do you find best for off road tracks?

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 11:38:34 PM

iPhone

iPhone

Those dudes in the big Trucks would probably turn around if they saw a real off road course.

Delaware sadly does not have a real off road crew like you said, we do have a lot if "salt life"  people car shows with modded hondas, jeeps, trucks & luxury cars, as well as sub sound systems.

iPhone

Regarding off road courses there are some out here in California like the Hollister Hills SVRA, the State actually is pretty good at maintaining them interestingly.  Personally I find what can be found in the National Forests and the Mojave Desert to be much better, certainly far more an adventure.  I did the Mojave Road once with some friends years ago and it was a lot of fun.  Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado are really good places for 4WD drives or OHV stuff.  When I was really into Off Roading myself I tended to favor smaller SUVs that I could find cheap and build up.  Most people went after the CJ and drove up the price beyond what I could typically afford at the time.  I had some luck with old Chevy Blazers and even an S10 once.  The parts selection was pretty top notch and a lot of stuff could be interchanged fairly easily.  Regarding modern vehicles there are plenty of purpose made trucks like the Raptor that are meant for Off Roading.  I was fairly impressed by my Brother's Raptor when I took out it out on the dirt portion of AZ 88.  As capable as that Raptor was it also was a monster in terms of overall length and more so width.  I haven't heard many complaints about the Ecotech Twin Turbo V6 over the years which had me surprised. 

Max Rockatansky

Am I just imaging things or did a ton of the replies in this thread disappear?  I was going to reply about the A4 air intake but now its gone.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2020, 12:03:33 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 11:38:34 PM

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

Regarding off road courses there are some out here in California like the Hollister Hills SVRA, the State actually is pretty good at maintaining them interestingly.  Personally I find what can be found in the National Forests and the Mojave Desert to be much better, certainly far more an adventure.  I did the Mojave Road once with some friends years ago and it was a lot of fun.  Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado are really good places for 4WD drives or OHV stuff.  When I was really into Off Roading myself I tended to favor smaller SUVs that I could find cheap and build up.  Most people went after the CJ and drove up the price beyond what I could typically afford at the time.  I had some luck with old Chevy Blazers and even an S10 once.  The parts selection was pretty top notch and a lot of stuff could be interchanged fairly easily.  Regarding modern vehicles there are plenty of purpose made trucks like the Raptor that are meant for Off Roading.  I was fairly impressed by my Brother's Raptor when I took out it out on the dirt portion of AZ 88.  As capable as that Raptor was it also was a monster in terms of overall length and more so width.  I haven't heard many complaints about the Ecotech Twin Turbo V6 over the years which had me surprised.
Holy shit a S10 or blazer for off roading, I would never thought of that & its smart. I do like the new ford raptors, people put kits on them so im glad it's not just a for show truck & it can actually do some work.

Also it's funny you didn't mention jeep & they are primarily off roaders, how would the new jeep truck do out on those roads?

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2020, 12:06:17 AM
Am I just imaging things or did a ton of the replies in this thread disappear?  I was going to reply about the A4 air intake but now its gone.
No you're right, it did disappear. I commented as well. Someone deleted or it might have glitched.

iPhone

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on July 16, 2020, 06:57:10 AM
Bronco 2021

Excuse me sir. The ranger rover, trucks & all SUV's including the mega SUV HUMMER would like a word with you about "aesthetics & aerodynamics"

Oh, I know!  I've just seen hype over the 2021 Ford Bronco in other places, and I can't help but think it's way over-hyped.  It started when someone on Twitter posted about how boring the new Chevy Blazer is and implied the new Bronco is better, but it got me thinking, "Wait a second, not really."  Call the Blazer boring all you like, but at least it gave some noticeable attention to aerodynamics.

Frankly, though, all these SUVs and CUVs with nearly vertical grilles really bug me, when they could probably push the envelope even further in aerodynamic design.  If you want a tall vehicle with more vertical cargo space than what you'd get from a sedan or traditional station wagon, I really think we ought to go back to the kind of forms offered by the Toyota Previa, the original Pontiac Trans Sport concept, or maybe a less blocky iteration of the Ford Aerostar.  Modeling new cars and trucks after old-school pickups and Chevy Suburbans just seems unnecessary when 21st century auto designers could do better.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.