News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2023, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2023, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 11, 2023, 12:22:05 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 11, 2023, 11:30:56 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2023, 11:22:20 AM
Make English German again!

More umlauts or just cramallwordstogethertomakecompoundword?

Also all nouns are capitalized.

A friend of mine capitalizes all him or he pronouns relating to Jesus in his Grammar in phone texts.

The Bible is normally typeset to capitalize all pronouns referencing God and Jesus. Thus Christians often do the same thing when referring to them (or should that be Them? Or Him, depending on which denomination you are?) in their own writing.

Part of the traditional reason for that has to do with the Tetragrammaton (which I will not spell out in case any forum member would be offended by my doing so).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

• Ice Breakers DUO Fruit + Cool™. They're also highly addicting. I could eat a pack a day if I wasn't conscious of how many I've had.

formulanone

The short-lived feeling of feeling like Mercury, for about 1-2 minutes after using a treadmill.

kphoger

Spam is underrated.

Fried Spam, at least.  It's disgusting right out of the can.  But slice it up or dice it up, and fry it in a skillet till it gets crispy, and yummmmm.  Get yourself the variety that has bacon in it, and it's even better.

One of our favorite camping meals is Spam-ghetti carbonara, in which we sub out the bacon for Spam.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 10:34:50 AM
Spam is underrated.

Fried Spam, at least.  It's disgusting right out of the can.  But slice it up or dice it up, and fry it in a skillet till it gets crispy, and yummmmm.  Get yourself the variety that has bacon in it, and it's even better.

One of our favorite camping meals is Spam-ghetti carbonara, in which we sub out the bacon for Spam.
Then scrapple would also be in this category.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

SPAM is underrated.

Fried SPAM, at least.  It's disgusting right out of the can.  But slice it up or dice it up, and fry it in a skillet till it gets crispy, and yummmmm.  Get yourself the variety that has bacon in it, and it's even better.

One of our favorite camping meals is SPAM-ghetti carbonara, in which we sub out the bacon for SPAM.

FTFY. Nobody likes spam.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kirbykart on March 28, 2023, 12:02:02 PM
SPAM is underrated.

Fried SPAM, at least.  It's disgusting right out of the can.  But slice it up or dice it up, and fry it in a skillet till it gets crispy, and yummmmm.  Get yourself the variety that has bacon in it, and it's even better.

One of our favorite camping meals is SPAM-ghetti carbonara, in which we sub out the bacon for SPAM.

FTFY. Nobody likes spam.

I don't see where you fixed anything. And Spam is delicious. Just went to a Hawai'ian breakfast spot in Vegas and had their Hawai'ian breakfast with fried Portuguese sausage and Spam served with rice, two over easy eggs, and macaroni salad. So good.

kurumi

Spam is underrated.

Yes. Spam musubi when the spam is fried. (Even from a 7-11 in north shore Oahu, it was good.) Also, chopped fried spam, garlic rice (leftover from last night), with scrambled eggs, veggies, and Sriracha sauce.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2023, 12:06:23 PM
SPAM is underrated.

FTFY. Nobody likes spam.

I don't see where you fixed anything. And Spam is delicious. Just went to a Hawai'ian breakfast spot in Vegas and had their Hawai'ian breakfast with fried Portuguese sausage and Spam served with rice, two over easy eggs, and macaroni salad. So good.

The difference is between SPAM (the food) and spam (click the link bellow to recovery your account).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

SPAM is underrated.

FTFY. Nobody likes spam.

Well, you're part right.

When I worked in a grocery store in Florida, Spam was a slowish-moving canned goods item; but to be fair, most canned good were like that...they moved reliably, but nobody really went on a run for canned corn, green beans, or artichoke hearts. Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce/paste, tuna fish, and whatever was on sale that week were the fast-moving items in that aisle. But even when it was on sale, it didn't move that quickly. Maybe it just wasn't big in that regional market.

But the moment a hurricane was five days out from heading towards the coast? That's when Spam sold in bunches, along with almost all of the canned goods. Customers would get upset when we didn't have enough of it, but where were they when it was on sale? (Oh yeah, toilet paper also evaporated from shelves, even back then.) Hurricane threats would clean out your grocery store's backstock, and that was great for getting rid of so many things that didn't sell at all during the year, or if you mistakenly received 5 extra cases of orange cake mix.

It wasn't really a part of my diet, and never even knew anyone who ate it until I went to college (families sometimes shield one from a lot of different food). I've only had it a few times, and putting in a skillet isn't a half-bad way to eat it.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 28, 2023, 12:09:18 PM
The difference is between SPAM (the food) and spam (click the link bellow to recovery your account).

But I didn't type "spam".  I typed "Spam".  I see no reason to use all caps just because that's how the company prefers to stylize the product name.  Nor would I would type "adidas" just because that company prefers to stylize its name in all lowercase.  Rather, following the guidelines of the AP Stylebook, I capitalize them normally.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Back in the early days of COVID a guy I work with couldn't find Spam at his local grocery store, so I ended up being his Spam runner because it was still on the shelves in Grand Marais's store where I was vacationing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

*starts humming SPAM song from Monty Python*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2023, 12:28:20 PM

Truly the best use of SPAM of any variety

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2023, 12:28:20 PM

Which is what email spam was named after. We've come full circle!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Wite-Out tape.  How did we ever survive when liquid goo was all there was?  This has to rank up there with the microwave oven when it comes to life-changing inventions...
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2023, 12:31:38 PM
Wite-Out tape.  How did we ever survive when liquid goo was all there was?  This has to rank up there with the microwave oven when it comes to life-changing inventions...

I'm glad I no longer work in a job with any paper forms.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 24, 2023, 01:32:01 PM

I don't only use it at work, though.

Remember the good old days?
  make a mistake
  pull the page out of the typewriter
  put a dab of Wite-Out over the incorrect letter
  wait a while for it to dry
  give up waiting, decide it's been long enough, put the page back in
  do your best to line the page up to where it was before
  type the correct letter
  SPLAT!  didn't wait long enough
  bang your head against the door a few times...

How more typewriters didn't see the end of a sledgehammer, I'll never know.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

I haven't used white-out tape for at least 15 years now.

wanderer2575

I still keep and balance my checkbook register by hand, and I have to use white-out tape now and then because I added something wrong or wrote something on the wrong line.

Rothman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 24, 2023, 02:01:41 PM
I still keep and balance my checkbook register by hand, and I have to use white-out tape now and then because I added something wrong or wrote something on the wrong line.
I admire your commitment to staying in the 20th Century.

I think I can count the number of checks I've written over the last five years on one hand.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2023, 01:52:39 PM

make a mistake
  type the correct letter

I don't know if I've ever tried to use Wite-Out tape on anything other than a piece of paper that was to be used in a typewriter, and I found liquid Wite-Out to be much easier to use.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 24, 2023, 02:32:01 PM

make a mistake
  type the correct letter

I don't know if I've ever tried to use Wite-Out tape on anything other than a piece of paper that was to be used in a typewriter, and I found liquid Wite-Out to be much easier to use.
O.o

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 24, 2023, 02:32:01 PM

I literally just applied Wite-Out tape to a worksheet I'm using to audit billing at work.  It took all of about eight seconds to make my correction.  Having to wait for the liquid to dry would drive me bonkers.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

make a mistake
  type the correct letter

Heh. My parents were too cheap to buy the correction fluid. They bought Ko-Rec-Type paper. Let's just say it was utterly obvious where you had made a typo and it was often obvious what the typo was.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.