News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coachella Valley Road Meet - October 2023

Started by skluth, June 13, 2023, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've decided to host a Coachella Valley Road Meet in October. Please checkmark the weekend(s) you would be interested in attending.

OCT 7-8 (Columbus Day Weekend)
4 (66.7%)
OCT 14-15
3 (50%)
OCT 21-22
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 04, 2023, 07:33:07 PM

skluth

I really enjoyed the Fresno Road Meet held last month hosted by Tom (Max Rockatansky). There are many interesting things to see in the area, so I decided to try hosting one on my own in October. I don't have a complete agenda yet, but here's some ideas I've put together. Feel free to message me if you have any other ideas.

Day 1 - East Valley possible visits
Box Canyon Road (US 60/70 early routing)
Dr June McCarroll Monument
New 66th Av Viaduct to Mecca
Location on CA 111 where mud volcano went under highway
Mud Volcanoes at Geothermal power plant
CA 74 in Palm Desert (location of initial scene of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World)

Day 2 - West Valley possible visits
Site of old stone bridge US 60/70/99 in Whitewater
San Andreas fault locations on roads in Desert Hot Springs
The weird CA 18/247 junction in Lucerne Valley
Back way into Big Bear on CA 18
Rim of the World Hwy (this is probably the endpoint as it's a good jumping off point for going back to both LA and points north on the second day) as you avoid Cajon Pass

roadwaywiz95

Suggestion: Gather your best material out of everything listed and make this a one-day event. I don't see enough here to warrant two full days out in this area. I think it's great that you're willing to stick your neck out and host a meet, however be careful not to bite off more than you can chew, especially since you're trying to do a two-day thing right out of the gate. Two-day meets are a LOT of work to put together (and work the best in large metro areas) and while they sound great when you get the idea for them, it's a whole different story when you have to sit down and actually put the work in to host them.

And hey, if you do a one-day meet with this idea, there's no reason why you can't return to this area in another year or two to do a follow-up or cover whatever ground you don't get to this time around.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Rothman

Makes me wonder if there's a drop-off in attendance on that second day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I forgot to reply when I cast my vote.  The dates I'll be most likely to attend to is 10/21-10/22.  My wife is still deciding if she wants to do anything for October which will likely dictate my attendance.

skluth

@roadwaywiz95 - The big problem in making it a one-day event is nothing in California is close to anything else. It's not like New York or even the Midwest where I spent my career. But I get your point. I can drop it to just Saturday, but add the unused places of interest as extra material of interest not done with the event. It can probably be done in a day if I drop the South Salton Sea mud volcano stuff since it's about an hour each down and back. I was going to suggest visitors check out some of the other Salton Sea weirdness like Bombay Beach, Salvation Mountain, and Slab City at the end of the first day because none of it is really road related but worth seeing if you're not normally in the area. The rest of the first day stuff is only a couple hours so I could probably do most of the listed Day 2 stuff. I'll have to drive it out and time it to see what all I can include.

cl94

Consider me interested, at least for a day. I had that area penciled in for October/November anyway, may as well get an excuse to head down there. I think it's awesome that those of us out west are finally having get-togethers.

Can't say that one weekend works better than any other this fall, though hotels would probably be cheaper away from the "holiday weekend". We government employees out here don't get a day off in October, but it's not like I don't have PTO burning a massive hole in my pocket. My boss certainly gets on my case for not using the PTO I have.  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: skluth on June 15, 2023, 07:24:41 PM
@roadwaywiz95 - The big problem in making it a one-day event is nothing in California is close to anything else. It's not like New York or even the Midwest where I spent my career. But I get your point. I can drop it to just Saturday, but add the unused places of interest as extra material of interest not done with the event. It can probably be done in a day if I drop the South Salton Sea mud volcano stuff since it's about an hour each down and back. I was going to suggest visitors check out some of the other Salton Sea weirdness like Bombay Beach, Salvation Mountain, and Slab City at the end of the first day because none of it is really road related but worth seeing if you're not normally in the area. The rest of the first day stuff is only a couple hours so I could probably do most of the listed Day 2 stuff. I'll have to drive it out and time it to see what all I can include.
You don't have to drop it to one day. There are people with meet experience who can help if you feel it is appropriate to be a 2-day affair. Follow your heart.

cl94

Agree with Alps. 2-day meets make sense in the west because everyone is traveling to get there. This is daytrip range for few people and I love that you acknowledge that. If you think 2 days makes the most sense, do it as 2 days and people will sort themselves out accordingly. I'd personally take a 2-day meet over a marathon tour that lasts 7-8 hours. People are here to help and there are a few in the hobby familiar with the area.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

skluth

I'm going to cancel this. Sorry. I've been recovering from surgery these last couple weeks and with all the other health issues I'm dealing with, I'm just too tired to deal with organizing this right now. I apologize to those who were interested but until my health improves I'm going to have to opt out of organizing a road meet.

Again, my apologies for this but my health has been a mess lately.

cl94

We totally understand. Your health is more important than a road meet. Not like these roads are going anywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.