News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Des Moines East Mixmaster

Started by Fredddie, December 21, 2022, 12:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredddie

https://who13.com/news/what-to-expect-from-phase-one-of-east-mixmaster-reconstruction/

Iowa DOT is replacing the left exits and lengthening ramps at the I-35/I-80/I-235 east mixmaster interchange. The first phase is combining the exits from EB I-80/I-35 to NB I-35 and SB/WB I-235.

rte66man

I always thought the designer was on meth when they came up with the original design for this interchange. Glad to see the last left entrance/exits are being removed.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

DandyDan

I was just through there the other day driving to my parents' house in the Omaha area. I frankly wonder why they couldn't have just redone the West Mixmaster there, especially since it was all rural then.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

triplemultiplex

Quote from: rte66man on December 25, 2022, 08:05:26 AM
I always thought the designer was on meth when they came up with the original design for this interchange. Glad to see the last left entrance/exits are being removed.

60 years of hindsight.  Left exits/entrances at system junctions were common back in the day.  Highway engineers figured it was more logical for people who were used to turning left at grade.  They didn't consider how much it disrupts the flow of traffic to have vehicles merging from both sides of the carriageway.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Revive 755

Quote from: rte66man on December 25, 2022, 08:05:26 AM

Technically there is a left side entrance for the NB mainline of I-35 and a left exit off SB I-35 that won't be going away.  :spin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.