News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Encyclopaedia Britannica

Started by bandit957, February 16, 2023, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Another reference book we had was a Rand McNally World Atlas from the late '60s. We buyed it at a yard sale in the early '80s. It's in great condition, and I still have it here.

Apparently, this was a very common book. The cover is red and white.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kkt

The Atlas pages for the world still show all the countries of the British Empire in pink - dark pink for self-governing dominions, light pink for colonies.

kphoger

We got the CD-ROM set in the late 1990s.  I remember finding the folder with all the .wav files, then mixing and editing them in whatever stock sound editing tool Windows 95 had, then setting those new sound bites as some of our computer's action sounds.  It was kind of fun to hear T. S. Eliot upon startup, with a bunch of backwards tribal African music and who knows what else in the background.  Looking back, I realize my dad probably found it kind of annoying...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

iowahighways

Quote from: catch22 on March 16, 2023, 12:33:43 PM
I dug my copy of Volume 24 out of cold storage and took a couple of pictures.

Those maps were also used in Rand McNally's Goode's World Atlas from that era.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

cjk374

I don't know how my dad acquired it, but we had Britannica growing up here. It came with a bookcase that fit all 24 volumes. The books were maroon in color.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.