Some locals displeased as Caltrans covers up part of Highway 1 sign

Started by ZLoth, March 07, 2024, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Some locals displeased as Caltrans covers up part of Highway 1 sign
Big Sur and surrounding towns are hurting from Highway 1 closure. When will it come back?
QuoteIt's not often you see such an on-the-nose example of the phrase "You can't get there from here" as a road sign with two-thirds of its destinations blacked out. But there is such a place and such a sign. And today, it can be found alongside Highway 1 south of the tiny coastal California town of Cambria.

There, just past the intersection of state Route 1 and state Route 46, is a green roadside sign that has for years displayed the miles to Cambria, Big Sur and Monterey. Recently — as if the great censor in the sky came down and redacted it — the bottom two destinations have been covered up by a piece of sheet metal. 

Only Cambria remains. The other two, gone.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Don't Drive Distrac... SQUIRREL!


Max Rockatansky

#1
Yes, I too would be enraged if I didn't know the exact mileage to Ragged Point or Gorda.

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Quillz

"Caltrans temporarily covers up two destinations on a highway that is presently closed and thus can't be reached at the moment."

Must be a slow news day.

And no doubt this came up at some point:

"Fix the roads!"
"Okay."
"Why is it taking so long?"


Max Rockatansky

Other CA 1/Big Sur related news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/caltrans-to-reduce-speed-limits-on-highway-1-through-big-sur-coast/ar-BB1jvS8e?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4addef32066549f489e97920e3221c1f&ei=34

During the busy season even 45 MPH is probably pretty unlikely north of San Simeon.  During the winter trying for 55 MPH or higher is a lot of fun.

Quillz

Yeah, lowering the speed limits is a formality. I somehow get stuck behind the people who insist on driving 10 mph and take photos from their car instead of pulling over.

LilianaUwU

It's almost as if not signing inaccessible locations is how road signs work.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

cl94

Quote from: Quillz on March 07, 2024, 08:53:23 PM
Yeah, lowering the speed limits is a formality. I somehow get stuck behind the people who insist on driving 10 mph and take photos from their car instead of pulling over.

Yes. If Caltrans is lowering rural speed limits, it either means a) a crapton of people are crashing or b) people are already driving the reduced limit. With 1, it's some of both: high crash rates and it's damn near impossible to maintain above 45-50 for any length of time. It is ridiculously hard to lower rural speed limits below the statutory level and keep them enforceable in CA, so a rural limit below 55/65 is usually that way for a damn good reason and almost always justified (unless the "radar enforced" plaque is missing, of course). You're lucky to be driving 10 below on a lot of 1 and it's not like tourists know how to use pullouts.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 07, 2024, 08:54:39 PM
It's almost as if not signing inaccessible locations is how road signs work.

I think the people complaining are owners of businesses between Cambria and the road closure.  For example, the blanked out sign makes it look like the road doesn't go past Cambria—i.e., you can't get to San Simeon or Gorda or wherever.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Quillz

Fair point, but if motorists can't even get there right now, it's a bit of a moot point. I also wonder in 2024 who is still relying exclusively on road signs. Even my boomer parents have figured out "let's check Google Maps and see if this road is open" before traveling.

kphoger

Quote from: Quillz on March 09, 2024, 03:31:04 PM
Fair point, but if motorists can't even get there right now, it's a bit of a moot point. I also wonder in 2024 who is still relying exclusively on road signs. Even my boomer parents have figured out "let's check Google Maps and see if this road is open" before traveling.

That may be the case.  But most people will turn around if they see an actual sign that says the road is closed—no matter what the sat-nav told them up to that point.  The sign in this case doesn't say the road is closed at Cambria, but it sure does seem to imply that such might be the case.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

theroadwayone

On a somewhat related note, they could do what New Zealand did here after the 2011 earthquake.

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 14, 2024, 01:51:39 PM
On a somewhat related note, they could do what New Zealand did here after the 2011 earthquake.


Found the sign but...
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qyiZeM7RGBHW7yEn6 (2015) (all 3 listed)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qw5qNYdTG8PYmyJRA (2012) (only shows last 2, with Lyttelton listed as 16km instead of 14)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KrxftTSyqXrLTo13A (2008) (sign not present)

...would have been replaced TWICE over the years. Is it possible this is a photoshop? :bigass: :spin: lol
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

kphoger

Here's where the photo came from.  Reportedly, the poster grabbed it from Facebook.  It's described simply as being "a little humour and stress relief from one of the city councils".  To me, that could either mean it was erected temporarily to insert some humor into the tragedy, or it could mean the council did some photoshopping.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/remembering-the-christchurch-quakes-can-you-still-recognize-your-old-haunts.688662/
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2024, 06:24:49 PM
Here's where the photo came from.  Reportedly, the poster grabbed it from Facebook.  It's described simply as being "a little humour and stress relief from one of the city councils".  To me, that could either mean it was erected temporarily to insert some humor into the tragedy, or it could mean the council did some photoshopping.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/remembering-the-christchurch-quakes-can-you-still-recognize-your-old-haunts.688662/
100% photoshop. NZ would not put "Gone".



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.