News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on February 01, 2023, 12:03:52 AM
I'd love to find out what's on it.

With a box cutter and a blatant disregard for private property rights, you probably can. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Quote from: csw on January 07, 2022, 08:02:50 PM
Some signs from the past few months.

Kingston, NY...

Marion, OH...

Stamford, CT.

Street view for the CT 137 marker: https://goo.gl/maps/tXi6cPYnubgCNDmX9
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CovalenceSTU

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jakeroot

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 19, 2023, 05:03:42 PM
The news reported on it? Slow news day, I guess.

There's only so many murders you can report on before we need something else.

This is a very standard story. It's a kind of human-interest story, I suppose.

Some news agencies employ dedicated historians who create segments specifically related to history of the area. Feliks Banel of Seattle's KIRO-FM is an example.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jakeroot on April 20, 2023, 02:17:22 AM
Some news agencies employ dedicated historians who create segments specifically related to history of the area. Feliks Banel of Seattle's KIRO-FM is an example.
Couldn't they have asked the historians about the date of decommissioning (1964, not 1972), what the routes are called (did Calrog write the article?), or that the sign wasn't uncovered just two days ago?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jakeroot

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 20, 2023, 04:58:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 20, 2023, 02:17:22 AM
Couldn't they have asked the historians about the date of decommissioning (1964, not 1972), what the routes are called (did Calrog write the article?), or that the sign wasn't uncovered just two days ago?

US-99 was decommissioned in California before 1972 but the route still existed elsewhere until 1972. *Since they didn't specify "in California"  they're not technically wrong.

I don't see any issues with the route names used. Other than "State Route 134"  usually just being called "the 134" .

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 20, 2023, 04:58:06 AM
Couldn't they have asked the historians about ... what the routes are called (did Calrog write the article?) ...?

Quote from: jakeroot on April 22, 2023, 02:56:26 AM
I don't see any issues with the route names used. Other than "State Route 134"  usually just being called "the 134" .

"The federal route was eventually..."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Rothman

Came across this old Mountain Parkway shield in Beattyville, KY.  HB may have mentioned seeing the shield somewhere on the forum before.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 09:58:58 PM
Came across this old Mountain Parkway shield in Beattyville, KY.  HB may have mentioned seeing the shield somewhere on the forum before.

Creeping in my hometown!

With the removal of the two signs in Salyersville,, this is now the last remaining old-school Mountain Parkway sign remaining in the wild. Since the state gave up maintenance of Main Street to the city when the new KY 52 bypass of downtown was built, hopefully it will remain for awhile.

(There is a square Mountain Parkway marker on US 60 (West Lexington Avenue) at KY 627 (Maple Street) in Winchester, but it doesn't have the "Bert T. Combs" indicator above it.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 21, 2023, 10:10:00 AM

Creeping in my hometown!

With the removal of the two signs in Salyersville,, this is now the last remaining old-school Mountain Parkway sign remaining in the wild. Since the state gave up maintenance of Main Street to the city when the new KY 52 bypass of downtown was built, hopefully it will remain for awhile.

(There is a square Mountain Parkway marker on US 60 (West Lexington Avenue) at KY 627 (Maple Street) in Winchester, but it doesn't have the "Bert T. Combs" indicator above it.)
I thought you were from Jackson, for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Rothman on August 21, 2023, 01:24:34 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 21, 2023, 10:10:00 AM

Creeping in my hometown!

I thought you were from Jackson, for some reason.

The background on the KY 11 sign is faded just enough that it looks like a cutout shield

hotdogPi

Mechanical "your speed" sign where the individual pixels flip.

Eaton Ave., Woburn, MA.

I'm linking rather than posting an image because it's a video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hotdogpi/53268734952/in/dateposted-public/

Here is an image from farther away:

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CovalenceSTU

Some variously worn old signs, in the spirit of the thread:

Props to whoever in Caltrans saved this gantry when the road was narrowed for a roundabout 20 years ago:

plus a more faded all-text sign right ahead:

A 4-way guide sign on 101B here in Oregon that's started peeling. I traced it out and the distances appear to be to city centers on the original routings, so it's likely from when this was mainline 101 (pre-1964). Also has its own font that may be a poorly cloned Series A (notice the multiple variations of "S" and "N"), sans numbers.

B/W "ALL WAY STOP" on a beacon in western Seattle. This one side is different then the rest (3 lines and blocky font) but is the only one that isn't mostly faded.

Also, this beauty posted here 12 years ago is still in place:

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: 1 on October 19, 2023, 09:37:59 AM
Mechanical "your speed" sign where the individual pixels flip.

Eaton Ave., Woburn, MA.

I'm linking rather than posting an image because it's a video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hotdogpi/53268734952/in/dateposted-public/

Here is an image from farther away:

WSDOT still has some flip-dot signs in use.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BduWNT3Q8UpTpuDi6

PColumbus73

jakeroot

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.