News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 28, 2023, 07:51:57 AM
CE Expert System:
District 12:  US 40/PA 281 Turn Lane Upgrades

This project also involves changes to turn lanes at the PA 380/PA 366 interchange in Westmoreland County.

For the US 40/PA 281 part, the two routes briefly multiplex here. US 40 is 3 lanes with a dedicated left turn lane by the western intersection, but by eastern intersection it is 4 lanes without a dedicated turn lane because of adjacent hills. It looks like they plane to restripe it here for 3 lanes to give a dedicated left turn lane. I would not favor such a project because this is one of the few good passing opportunities on US 40 east of Uniontown.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

JawnwoodS96

Regarding the new SPUI for the I-79 Wexford interchange, I mostly endorse it, though I do have some issues, the most prominent of which being the two east-bound turning lanes coming from 1-79 N, which is the whole reason for the redesign. Currently the exit (going northbound) has three lanes: one heading west toward Nicholson, middle lane turning east onto 910 where the driver gets to choose which of the two eastbound lanes to turn into (left lane for Mingo, right lane for 910 E), and the right lane for Brandt School. With the new redesign, drivers going eastbound on 910 and looking to turn onto Brandt will have to share the right lane, as the middle lane is slated for the left lane on 910, which quickly turns into a turning lane for Mingo. My fear is that once this is recognized by drivers, the right lane will be bogged down and cause traffic hiccups, as no one will want to deal with merging from the left turn lane once already on 910 E.

I also have concerns about the decel lane from I-79 N. I think (and have thought this for years, growing up in the North Hills) the fourth lane coming from I-279 needs to be extended through to the Wexford exit. Yes, that'd cause some weaving issues for drivers coming from I-79 rather than 279, but it would eliminate the merging headaches.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on March 05, 2023, 11:23:43 AM
I think (and have thought this for years, growing up in the North Hills) the fourth lane coming from I-279 needs to be extended through to the Wexford exit. Yes, that'd cause some weaving issues for drivers coming from I-79 rather than 279, but it would eliminate the merging headaches.

I've also thought that for quite some time.   Even before (or especially before) they extended 279's right lane to end after I-279 ends, instead of pinching it down to one lane before becoming I-79.
I always figured @ 910 the far right would be exit only, and they could make the next-to-right lane an option lane for either 910 or 79 for slightly less weaving.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

JawnwoodS96

74/171FAN, seeing as you work for PennDOT, if you don't mind me asking, does PennDOT even have widening of the Penn Lincoln Parkway (and/or Schuylkill Expressway) on their radar? It's one thing to avoid widening it to Texas levels of urban interstate, but when you have the most populous and busiest highways in the state that are substandard and have been for nearly 50 years, it just seems odd that they're not even considering it.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Bitmapped

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on March 18, 2023, 08:46:34 PM
74/171FAN, seeing as you work for PennDOT, if you don't mind me asking, does PennDOT even have widening of the Penn Lincoln Parkway (and/or Schuylkill Expressway) on their radar? It's one thing to avoid widening it to Texas levels of urban interstate, but when you have the most populous and busiest highways in the state that are substandard and have been for nearly 50 years, it just seems odd that they're not even considering it.

Widening and reconstructing both routes would be tremendously expensive. PennDOT has been making steady progress with spot widening on the Parkway West (nobody calls it the Penn Lincoln Parkway) over the past decade and more widening is in the works as part of the Banksville Road interchange reconfiguration.

The real problem on the Parkway East and Parkway West are the interchanges, and to a lesser extent, the tunnels. Reconfiguring interchanges to eliminate weaves, extending climbing lanes, and providing reasonable-length merge areas would tremendously help improve traffic flow. Those sorts of projects are, rightfully, where PennDOT has been spending its cash on this corridor.

74/171FAN

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on March 18, 2023, 08:46:34 PM

I generally do not receive any information working for Central Office that is not already public.  This website exists for the plans for I-76.  However, make sure to limit discussion on that to the Philly thread.

I am not aware of any discussion involving I-376 beyond spot-interchange improvements (such as the DDI conversion at US 22/US 30/PA 60) and reconstruction.  However, the best source of information on that would be District 11.

JawnwoodS96

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 19, 2023, 10:20:33 AMI generally do not receive any information working for Central Office that is not already public.  This website exists for the plans for I-76.  However, make sure to limit discussion on that to the Philly thread.

I am not aware of any discussion involving I-376 beyond spot-interchange improvements (such as the DDI conversion at US 22/US 30/PA 60) and reconstruction.  However, the best source of information on that would be District 11.
Dang, I thought you might have something else outside of public knowledge  :-D Oh well, thanks though.

As for the other points, thanks, but being the road junkie that I am (that we all are), I already scoped out those sites long ago, though I do continue to scout for updates.

As for referencing the Penn Lincoln Parkway by its full name, I wanted to mention both sides at once, not just one or the other, as nearly the entire stretch from BL-376 to Business-22 is substandard.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

The Ghostbuster

This may be off-topic but has anyone visited the Frankie Pace Park yet? Interstate 579's deck park looks pretty spectacular. Also, does anyone know who Frankie Pace was? Was he a local or state politician?

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 23, 2023, 12:24:56 PM[D]oes anyone know who Frankie Pace was? Was he a local or state politician?

Neither a politician nor a he.

From https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2021/11/22/Ribbon-cut-for-Frankie-Pace-Park-connecting-Downtown-Hill-District-golden-triangle/stories/202111220119 [dated 11.22.2021 and may be paywalled] ...

QuoteThe $29.3 million park, named Frankie Pace Park last week after the late Hill District businesswoman and activist, features serpentine walking paths, large lawns, space for outdoor classrooms and neighborhood artwork. It was designed to reconnect the two neighborhoods after the city's construction of the former Civic Arena in the late 1950s – which Pace tried to stop – separated them and many say damaged the once-thriving Hill business district.

VTGoose

Quote from: ixnay on March 28, 2023, 07:34:51 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 23, 2023, 12:24:56 PM[D]oes anyone know who Frankie Pace was? Was he a local or state politician?

Neither a politician nor a he.

From https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2021/11/22/Ribbon-cut-for-Frankie-Pace-Park-connecting-Downtown-Hill-District-golden-triangle/stories/202111220119 [dated 11.22.2021 and may be paywalled] ...

QuoteThe $29.3 million park, named Frankie Pace Park last week after the late Hill District businesswoman and activist, features serpentine walking paths, large lawns, space for outdoor classrooms and neighborhood artwork. It was designed to reconnect the two neighborhoods after the city's construction of the former Civic Arena in the late 1950s – which Pace tried to stop – separated them and many say damaged the once-thriving Hill business district.

This is the history that needs to be taught. Thriving neighborhoods and businesses were deemed to be "slums" and selected as the location for highways, civic centers, and parks solely because of the color of the people who lived in those areas. It is a sad part of our history (and hasn't gone away, there are still certain areas today that are picked for unseemly things like landfills, factories, gas line compressor stations, etc. that are in close proximity to neighborhoods with lower-value housing).

There are many books and studies that cover this, but a good one that gives great insight into the status and demise of the Hill District and the treatment of Blacks in Pittsburgh is "American Sirens: The Incredible Story of the Black Men Who Became America's First Paramedics." WQED also did a documentary on this group, find it on YouTube.

Bruce in Blacksburg (but a native of the 'Burgh who grew up in that era of the '60s and '70s)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 12 News: Shapiro Administration Previews 2023 Southwest Region Construction Season

I am pretty sure that the PA 819 reference is a typo and should instead say PA 981.

EDIT:  I contacted District 12 about that and they responded stating that this will be corrected.

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.