News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hi everyone - and some online map experiments

Started by Ritchie333, April 22, 2013, 07:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ritchie333

Hi everyone.

For those who don't know me, I do a large part of the R&D on SABRE, a UK / Eire equivalent of this site, including an ever expanding wiki and maps section. We do occasionally chat about roads in the US; at a meeting over the weekend, a number of us were speculating on how to join up the various disjoint sections of Interstate 95 in a sensible manner.

Anyway, my specific interest is collecting old maps and seeing how things have changed compared to today, so with that in mind I've created a short demonstration of some of the online mapping stuff I've created. You can see this at http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ams.html, which gives you a snapshot of San Diego County, CA in the 1940s, 1950s, 1970s and today. Use the three sliders to select the various transparency levels of mapping, and see how things have changed.

One of the nice things about some US Federal Government documentation being public domain is it's easier to put up free online mapping like this for the US compared to the UK (which is generally Crown Copyright). So if there's interest in this, I'll see if I can do some more.

--
Ritchie

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.