News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 31, 2018, 08:58:44 PM
Quote from: jbnv on December 31, 2018, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 31, 2018, 08:10:23 PM
NEW YEAR'S
RESOLUTION
DRIVE SOBER

on Wisconsin signs.

LaDOTD's resolution is buckling up. Is that really still that much of a problem? It's been illegal to drive unbuckled for over 30 years now.

Yep. A vocal minority of people go "I won't buckle, because it's what government wants."

Even though I personally buckle up every single time it's practical (with the only exceptions being riding in the back of a pickup, too many crammed into a bench seat, that kind of thing) and also insist that my children do too...  I can appreciate people's disdain for a law that prohibits doing something which has zero potential for harming another.  I can definitely understand the thinking that, if you want to risk life and limb by not buckling up, then that should be your right as a free citizen of a free country.  About the only way I can think of that affecting anyone besides yourself is that, if you cause a wreck, your seal belt saving your life can also allow you to lend aid to injured or trapped passengers.  But we're allowed to smoke ourselves to death, drink ourselves to death, run with scissors, jump out of airplanes, you name it–yet we're not allowed to forego a seat belt.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

The other issue with seatbelt laws that I have - is when your state says its legal to ride/operate a motorcycle with no helmet, but illegal to ride/operate a car or truck with no seatbelt

That is completely hypocritical. Either both should be legal or both should be illegal

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 03:31:56 PMzero potential for harming another.
I bet it does tremendous psychological harm to the driver of the car that kills them.
Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 03:31:56 PMI can definitely understand the thinking that, if you want to risk life and limb by not buckling up, then that should be your right as a free citizen of a free country.
I can understand a five-year-old who doesn't want to eat their vegetables thinking like that, but not an adult.
Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 03:31:56 PMBut we're allowed to smoke ourselves to death, drink ourselves to death, run with scissors, jump out of airplanes, you name it–yet we're not allowed to forego a seat belt.
There are numerous private and public organizations that are willing to help citizens not drink or smoke themselves to death. We regulate the shit out of skydiving.

hotdogPi

The national average for seatbelt use is 90%. In New Hampshire (seatbelts are only required for those under 18, and I'm unsure about commercial drivers), it's 70%.

I'm just providing data; feel free to interpret it yourself.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

6a

ilpt4u

Quote from: 6a on January 01, 2019, 04:04:11 PM

Congrats to Ohio, making it thru New Years Morning without a fatal car wreck

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 03:45:37 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 03:31:56 PM
I can definitely understand the thinking that, if you want to risk life and limb by not buckling up, then that should be your right as a free citizen of a free country.

I can understand a five-year-old who doesn't want to eat their vegetables thinking like that, but not an adult.

You confused not wanting to do something with not thinking it should be prohibited.  There are plenty of people who personally choose to wear seat belts but still think it should be their right to not wear one if they so choose.

~ or ~

I'm a grown adult, but I don't want the government forcing me to eat my vegetables.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 03:45:37 PM

I can definitely understand the thinking that, if you want to risk life and limb by not buckling up, then that should be your right as a free citizen of a free country.

You confused not wanting to do something with not thinking it should be prohibited.  There are plenty of people who personally choose to wear seat belts but still think it should be their right to not wear one if they so choose.

~ or ~

I'm a grown adult, but I don't want the government forcing me to eat my vegetables.
I have vague notions towards believing a responsible society shouldn't allow its citizens to willingly and knowingly harm themselves, but I'm not sure of the best mechanisms to do that, nor (before the usual suspects start foaming at the mouth) am I advocating totalitarianism.

odditude

Even though I personally buckle up every single time it's practical (with the only exceptions being riding in the back of a pickup, too many crammed into a bench seat, that kind of thing) and also insist that my children do too...  I can appreciate people's disdain for a law that prohibits doing something which has zero potentia=l for harming another.
on the contrary - an unbuckled passenger becomes a projectile in the car, and can cause significant injuries to the driver or other passengers.

sources: plenty

kphoger

Quote from: odditude on January 01, 2019, 08:28:43 PM
Even though I personally buckle up every single time it's practical (with the only exceptions being riding in the back of a pickup, too many crammed into a bench seat, that kind of thing) and also insist that my children do too...  I can appreciate people's disdain for a law that prohibits doing something which has zero potentia=l for harming another.
on the contrary - an unbuckled passenger becomes a projectile in the car, and can cause significant injuries to the driver or other passengers.

So why am I allowed to have cargo that's not tied down?
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 08:48:13 PM
Quote from: odditude on January 01, 2019, 08:28:43 PM

Does the cargo have family that will grieve after its contents are spilled all over the road?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 09:11:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 08:48:13 PM
Does the cargo have family that will grieve after its contents are spilled all over the road?

Another thing that's worth mentioning is that you're supposed to secure any cargo you're carrying. Enforcement of that is both difficult and pretty lax, however, at least with passenger vehicles.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2019, 09:39:05 PM
you're supposed to secure any cargo you're carrying.

Is that codified into law?  You're telling me that, if I have a suitcase sitting on the back seat of my car, then I should have it buckled up just like a human being?

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 09:11:46 PM

A projectile in car poses a safety hazard to others.  Grieving family members do not.

This is now totally off topic, and I think we should all just get back to absurd VMS signs.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2019, 12:46:08 PM
This is now totally off topic, and I think we should all just get back to absurd VMS signs.

On I-395 this morning, I saw one that read: "DON'T DROP THE BALL ON DRIVING SOBER."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2019, 12:46:08 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2019, 09:39:05 PM
you're supposed to secure any cargo you're carrying.
Is that codified into law?  You're telling me that, if I have a suitcase sitting on the back seat of my car, then I should have it buckled up just like a human being?

Properly secured does not necessarily equate to being tied down. In this case, "properly secured" is probably as easy as putting it in the trunk instead.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it is codified into law though. I remember being taught that in drivers' ed, for whatever that's worth.

You're also right that this is probably enough of a digression. :)

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 02, 2019, 07:13:29 PM
Properly secured does not necessarily equate to being tied down. In this case, "properly secured" is probably as easy as putting it in the trunk instead.

I haven't owned a vehicle with a trunk since 2007.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Whether or not unsecured cargo is a criminal offense, you'd probably be found negligent and be liable for any damages it caused.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tom958

So, yesterday morning I was driving to work on I-85 north of Atlanta, and there was a VMS between Jimmy Carter and Spaghetti Junction displaying, IIRC, "Texting while driving is illegal in Georgia." Except on the top lines, there were a few green pixels along with the usual off white. Malfunction? No. It was a green dick and balls, vertical, the same height as the letters.

empirestate

So, I was doing another of my "find the photo location" self-challenges, and came across this VMS message on Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/gNudxjusDK62

Rather interesting, given the proximity to Donner Pass...

jbnv

We've gotten more pith about speeding since the New Year.

I'm calling it now: If the Saints win the Super Bowl, we'll get VMS messages urging us to "BE A SAINT" or "DRIVE LIKE A CHAMPION" followed by something about reducing speed, driving sober, not texting while driving, etc.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

1995hoo

Quote from: jbnv on January 16, 2019, 04:33:31 PM
We've gotten more pith about speeding since the New Year.

I'm calling it now: If the Saints win the Super Bowl, we'll get VMS messages urging us to "BE A SAINT" or "DRIVE LIKE A CHAMPION" followed by something about reducing speed, driving sober, not texting while driving, etc.

Instead, you get this (and it's correct, too):

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jbnv

To be fair, I haven't seen anything like that on I-12 since Sunday (I commute from Hammond to Baton Rouge). I don't know if DOTD operates the VMSs on the Causeway.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

This morning: "OBEY THE SIGN OR PAY THE FINE." (With traffic whizzing by at 10+mph over the posted limit.)

Ironically, this is a major election year with the governor and legislature up. IDK about you, but silly platitudes about law enforcement do not endear me to the current administration.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jbnv on January 28, 2019, 09:51:16 AM
This morning: "OBEY THE SIGN OR PAY THE FINE." (With traffic whizzing by at 10+mph over the posted limit.)

Ironically, this is a major election year with the governor and legislature up. IDK about you, but silly platitudes about law enforcement do not endear me to the current administration.

How do you know it was referring to speed limit signs?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

abefroman329

Saw one yesterday on the Edens that was something along the lines of "less 'Life In The Fast Lane,' more 'Take It Easy'"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.