News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Future Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge

Started by jbnv, March 28, 2022, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlb2024

Quote from: bwana39 on September 14, 2023, 09:33:27 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 13, 2023, 11:14:17 PM

Sure (from 2004)

This would have been a good start.   Ironically, it has I-12 LABELED as I-10.

It reused the US-190 bridge too. .  It even was a good fit to a new bridge around Southern University. EVENTUALLY.

Like you said this was 2 decades ago. It probably has less traction now than it did then. The population of METRO Baton Rouge has ballooned. Baton Rouge proper has slightly shrunk in population. Much of the growth is across the Mississippi River IE: South and west.
North Baton Rouge (city) is  almost solely a minority area. Two different problems present there. The local interests may not want a freeway and the racists may not want to spend money there.

I said it was needed, I certainly didn't say it would be built or even significantly supported.
Yep, that's a non-starter now.  This map was pre-Katrina, which changed a lot of things.  Many of the areas of Livingston Parish that the roads would have passed through have been built up over the past 20 years, as the population of the parish is up over 50 percent since 2000.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Too many subdivisions in the way of the proposed north loop in Central and Livingston now.

The north loop would have worked as a truck bypass 15 years ago, but too late now.

The same is true of any potential southern bypass. That ship sailed at least 20 years ago.

bwana39

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on September 14, 2023, 07:50:10 PM
Too many subdivisions in the way of the proposed north loop in Central and Livingston now.

The north loop would have worked as a truck bypass 15 years ago, but too late now.

The same is true of any potential southern bypass. That ship sailed at least 20 years ago.

It is not dissimilar to the situation in Collin & Denton Counties  in Texas. It might be difficult, but is is clearly something that can be done.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bwana39

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bwana39 on September 16, 2023, 12:23:07 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 15, 2023, 11:07:42 PM
In that case, I have this from 2015...

Still using the Long (US-190)Bridge.

Their problem.
Also goes to show everyone how much NO ONE wants to sacrifice for something everybody knows they need.

Anthony_JK

Just upgrade all of Airline Highway from west of LA 415 down to Jefferson Highway, convert the I-12 interchange to fully directional, convert the other interchanges (Scenic Highway, Plank Road, Greenwell Springs Road, and Florida Blvd) to DDI's, and build a true south freeway bypass. Problem solved.

They can use the conversion of NOLA's Huey P. Long bridge as a template for the US 190 bridge.

There is NO WAY they will accept driving an Interstate anywhere north of Southern University; Scott's Bluff is protected land, and the only feasible route that cuts through the oxbow north of current US 190 would divide the neighborhood north of the SUBR campus.

rlb2024

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 16, 2023, 07:07:16 PM
Just upgrade all of Airline Highway from west of LA 415 down to Jefferson Highway, convert the I-12 interchange to fully directional, convert the other interchanges (Scenic Highway, Plank Road, Greenwell Springs Road, and Florida Blvd) to DDI's, and build a true south freeway bypass. Problem solved.

They can use the conversion of NOLA's Huey P. Long bridge as a template for the US 190 bridge.

There is NO WAY they will accept driving an Interstate anywhere north of Southern University; Scott's Bluff is protected land, and the only feasible route that cuts through the oxbow north of current US 190 would divide the neighborhood north of the SUBR campus.
I don't disagree with some of this, but wasn't the original plan to have Airline upgraded to I-410?  Seems like I remember from my childhood seeing maps with proposed I-410 along Airline.  The other big issue is the railroad underpasses at the east end of the bridge -- the eastbound clearance is only 13'6" )westbound is 14'6" if I remember right) and it is barely wide enough for 2 lanes.  Something entirely different would have to be done with that.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: rlb2024 on September 17, 2023, 12:18:56 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 16, 2023, 07:07:16 PM

I don't disagree with some of this, but wasn't the original plan to have Airline upgraded to I-410?  Seems like I remember from my childhood seeing maps with proposed I-410 along Airline.  The other big issue is the railroad underpasses at the east end of the bridge -- the eastbound clearance is only 13'6" )westbound is 14'6" if I remember right) and it is barely wide enough for 2 lanes.  Something entirely different would have to be done with that.
IIRC, the I-410 proposal would have used only the section of Airline Highway between LA 1 and I-110, using the current Mississippi River bridge with few upgrades. One of the main reasons 410 was ultimately rejected was that it would have been too expensive to upgrade the bridge to meet Interstate design standards. Also, upgrading LA 1 through Port Allen would have been tricky.

It may be more feasible to build a new dedicated road bridge parallel to the BTR Huey, and elevate it above the CNIC railroad overpasses all the way to Scenic Highway, while leaving the old bridge for rail, local traffic, and alternative bike/walking. It would have to be on the north side of the existing bridge in order to avoid the railroad approaches.

moto g power (2022)

The Road Warrior

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on September 14, 2023, 07:50:10 PM

A southern bypass is far more possible than a northern one. There is still plenty of vacant land for a freeway to pass through that would require minimal right of way acquisition. A northern bypass is imply a non-starter due to the level of development along all potential paths and the opposition of the neighboring parishes.

The fact is, something has to be done. Traffic is too bad and the route is too important to allow the current situation to continue as it is indefinitely.

The Ghostbuster

Are there any proposals to build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, or has it only been suggested here on the forum? If it is the latter, it may be a long time for such a bypass to come to fruition, if it happens at all.

rlb2024

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 22, 2023, 10:53:19 AM
Are there any proposals to build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, or has it only been suggested here on the forum? If it is the latter, it may be a long time for such a bypass to come to fruition, if it happens at all.
There have been discussions for years around Louisiana, but nothing firm has come out of them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Go back to page 1 of this thread.

bwana39

This is the answer to your question without having to read every post.

There are no proposals to build a bypass per se. There is a proposal to build a bridge somewhere between the current I-10 crossing and the the LA-70 "Sunshine" Bridge.  It would be either in Eastern Iberville Parish near Plaquemine or up toward Brusly leading to East Baton Rouge Parish. Both would be south of Baton Rouge proper.  The consultants are suggesting that  a bridge primarily for local traffic be built. The gist of the traffic flow would SEEM to be Sunshine to Baton Rouge as opposed to Sunshine to Geismer. 

At least initially, said bridge would connect to LA-30 on the eastbank and LA-1 on the west bank. Just like the discussion of the north side of Baton Rouge, expanding LA-1 to freeway would be difficult due to buildup. You should expect nothing better than a 4-6 lane divided highway with traffic signals and grade crossings or less.  DOTD suggests that down the line it MIGHT be possible to link freeways on both ends.

What this will amount to is a replacement / upgrade of the Plaquemine Ferry crossing (whether at Plaquemine or not.) There MAY be a significant financial incentive to replace the ferry. As I understand it, USACOE incentives possibly could be used to pay the state's share of the cost. In my digging, it seems that was part of the reason for the LA-10 bridge to nowhere.  Unquestionably, the Corps wants rid of the ferries.

I will add one more thing while an I-10 direct to Brusly connection looks nice on a map. Bayou Grosse Tête / Port Allen Lock IWW Canal is a connection from the Mississippi river to the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway. It would require a high crossing.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.msg2724395#msg2724395

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bwana39 on September 23, 2023, 09:01:47 AM

This is the answer to your question without having to read every post.

There are no proposals to build a bypass per se. There is a proposal to build a bridge somewhere between the current I-10 crossing and the the LA-70 "Sunshine" Bridge.  It would be either in Eastern Iberville Parish near Plaquemine or up toward Brusly leading to East Baton Rouge Parish. Both would be south of Baton Rouge proper.  The consultants are suggesting that  a bridge primarily for local traffic be built. The gist of the traffic flow would SEEM to be Sunshine to Baton Rouge as opposed to Sunshine to Geismer. 

At least initially, said bridge would connect to LA-30 on the eastbank and LA-1 on the west bank. Just like the discussion of the north side of Baton Rouge, expanding LA-1 to freeway would be difficult due to buildup. You should expect nothing better than a 4-6 lane divided highway with traffic signals and grade crossings or less.  DOTD suggests that down the line it MIGHT be possible to link freeways on both ends.

What this will amount to is a replacement / upgrade of the Plaquemine Ferry crossing (whether at Plaquemine or not.) There MAY be a significant financial incentive to replace the ferry. As I understand it, USACOE incentives possibly could be used to pay the state's share of the cost. In my digging, it seems that was part of the reason for the LA-10 bridge to nowhere.  Unquestionably, the Corps wants rid of the ferries.

I will add one more thing while an I-10 direct to Brusly connection looks nice on a map. Bayou Grosse Tête / Port Allen Lock IWW Canal is a connection from the Mississippi river to the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway. It would require a high crossing.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.msg2724395#msg2724395
IIRC, the LADOTD has eliminated the Addis-Brusly crossing from consideration and is now pushing for a crossing just south of Plaquemine to near Gardere Lane. It would still just be arterial rather than freeway standard, and there would be no improvements to any other roadways. Other than a back door entry to LSU for football games, I fail to see the utility or the benefits.

Outside of a full freeway south bypass, there are only two other feasible options for resolving I-10/I-12 through traffic in BTR, the current construction on I-10 notwithstanding:

1) A twin span of the I-10 Mississippi River bridge tying into a double-decked "High Pass" segment between the 10/110 and 10/12 splits. Not happening because prohibitively expensive and extremely disruptive.

2) Upgrading Airline Highway (US 190/US 61) to freeway standards from west of Lobdell across the old 190 Mississippi River bridge down to south of the Airline/I-12 interchange, with connectors at either end to I-10. Main difficulties would be retrofitting a proper Interstate-grade bridge out of the old bridge, which also carries a single Union Pacific-CPKC rail line, and squeezing a 6-lane freeway with continuous access roads into the Airline Highway ROW.

Either that, or expidite finishing I-49 South from Lafayette to NOLA and make that the defacto "BTR bypass".

moto g power (2022)

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 29, 2023, 12:07:57 AM

Either that, or expedite finishing I-49 South from Lafayette to NOLA and make that the defacto "BTR bypass".

moto g power (2022)

Yeah, but then all  the traffic would have to go THROUGH New Orleans.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bwana39 on December 29, 2023, 11:52:54 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 29, 2023, 12:07:57 AM

Either that, or expedite finishing I-49 South from Lafayette to NOLA and make that the defacto "BTR bypass".

moto g power (2022)

Yeah, but then all  the traffic would have to go THROUGH New Orleans.

And it's 18 miles longer and currently 30 minutes longer on US-90, although I'm sure the current at grade intersections and reduced speed limit are a great majority of that time differential.

bwana39

froggie

Quote from: bwana39 on January 21, 2024, 09:06:04 AM
Nothing new, just a local perspective...

https://brac.org/bridge/

In light of earlier thread comments, it's worth noting that the BRAC page specifically mentions that both LA 30 and LA 1 are slated for capacity enhancements to facilitate greater traffic flow.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2024, 04:32:41 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on January 21, 2024, 09:06:04 AM
Nothing new, just a local perspective...

https://brac.org/bridge/

In light of earlier thread comments, it's worth noting that the BRAC page specifically mentions that both LA 30 and LA 1 are slated for capacity enhancements to facilitate greater traffic flow.

Unless they plan on upgrading LA 1 through Plaquemine and Addis to freeway or expressway standards and widening LA 30 through LSU, I want to see what kind of "capacity improvements" they plan. Why not just build a real tollway loop from west of Lobdell to south of Gardere to connect I-10?

The Road Warrior

The last time they talked about building a freeway loop, the idea was shot down because surrounding parishes didn't want it.

The Ghostbuster

If there wasn't so much development surrounding it, maybe the existing US 61/US 190 Airline Hwy. could have been upgraded to freeway standards.

bwana39

Quote from: The Road Warrior on February 06, 2024, 10:28:07 AM
The last time they talked about building a freeway loop, the idea was shot down because surrounding parishes didn't want it.

The other parishes didn't want it because they wanted to remain rural agricultural parishes. I think that ship has sailed at least in Ascension,  West Baton Rouge and Iberville parishes. Baton rouge will eventually supplant New Orleans as the largest metro area in LA even without the ongoing effects of global warming.

thisdj78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 06, 2024, 12:21:58 PM
If there wasn't so much development surrounding it, maybe the existing US 61/US 190 Airline Hwy. could have been upgraded to freeway standards.

Average ROW is about 200ft between I-110 and I-10, so it could be done but it would have to be a 6 lane max. For reference, I-10 + frontage roads is only 200ft just north of Beaumont (after it curves East from the US96 split)

Bobby5280

While it's mathematically possible to squeeze a 6-lane freeway and a pair of 2-lane frontage roads into a 200' wide footprint, the ROW requirements flare out quite a bit when exit ramps have to be incorporated into the design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.