News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 01:11:08 AM
When they make 95 six lanes will they add the lane to 495 southbound, or 141 C/D Roadway

iPhone

What do you mean "when"? There's no plans to do so, so your question doesn't have an answer.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 07, 2018, 06:02:16 AM
When they make 95 six lanes will they add the lane to 495 southbound, or 141 C/D Roadway

iPhone

What do you mean "when"? There's no plans to do so, so your question doesn't have an answer.
Oh so the bottleneck from those two highways emptying traffic will continue to get worse for the years to come.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 10:58:13 AM

iPhone

Oh so the bottleneck from those two highways emptying traffic will continue to get worse for the years to come.

The state only has so much money to fix so many issues, your expectations are entirely unrealistic. Widening I-95 again as discussed previously would be prohibitively expensive given the scope and location of the project in an environmentally sensitive area. This especially given how many other areas in the state desperately need more attention than that stretch of road, which is not as bad as you're making it out to be. From what I understand, the extended lane on I-495 has improved conditions along the I-95 / 495 SB merge anyway.

DelDOT for the most part posts all of their near-term projects on their website, which you can easily cross-check to see if these projects you're talking about even exist.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2018, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 10:58:13 AM

iPhone

The state only has so much money to fix so many issues, your expectations are entirely unrealistic. Widening I-95 again as discussed previously would be prohibitively expensive given the scope and location of the project in an environmentally sensitive area. This especially given how many other areas in the state desperately need more attention than that stretch of road, which is not as bad as you're making it out to be. From what I understand, the extended lane on I-495 has improved conditions along the I-95 / 495 SB merge anyway.

DelDOT for the most part posts all of their near-term projects on their website, which you can easily cross-check to see if these projects you're talking about even exist.
Of course. I have the Deldot projects page on my desktop. I know that adding another lane is going to be hard. As some of you already said. & The marshlands & etc which is harder to build on then a normal highway. But I said "when"  as to future dates & if deldot will even be needed to do that. I said a 6th lane because the problem with traffic isn't more so 95 but the fact that 141 exits doesn't have its own lane for all the traffic is carries & The 495 extended merge lane, has helped push traffic onto 95 instead of blocking the 495 To 141 flyover ramp to the right. So I wouldn't call that fixed. If you've been in the area at the crucial traffic times then you would have seen this. I still take the flyover 141 ramp & fly by everyone else. While I see how 95 is packed with traffic that looks worse then what it did before. So check you're sources when you say it has improved  conditions, I seen the deldot news article saying it has improved conditions of traffic. WHERE? On 495? Yea. 95 No! Now, my ideas are crazy. But am I looking at future or now? Ill give you an example. If the Newark beltway was created. Would Red Mill road & Harmony road (turning from kirkwood/capitol trail) need turning lanes thats double what Ive ever seen in any state for a local road? Now this is what Newark deals with since, they shot down their chances at a highway. Shit maybe they will build the highway in a couple years, because its only gonna get worse & adding MORE traffic lights & photo cameras will not help!

iPhone

Beltway

Are you talking about 6-laning I-95 thru downtown Wilmington?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 07, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
No the part where 495-295-141 Exits merge.

iPhone

Beltway

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 04:27:28 PM

I just checked and it looks like I-95 has 3 lanes each way thruout, no 2-lane section between Maryland and the downtown.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 07, 2018, 04:32:53 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 04:27:28 PM

I just checked and it looks like I-95 has 3 lanes each way thruout, no 2-lane section between Maryland and the downtown.
Yea its 10 lanes total, its needs to be 12 lanes total.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 11:57:41 AM
Ill give you an example. If the Newark beltway was created. Would Red Mill road & Harmony road (turning from kirkwood/capitol trail) need turning lanes thats double what Ive ever seen in any state for a local road?

y-yes?
How is a circumferential highway on the other side of town supposed to help traffic get from the Ogletown area and points south up to Kirkwood Highway, Pike Creek, and points north? And in what world is double turn lanes on a two-lane arterial roadway absurd?
How is that even remotely relevant to blasting another two lanes through the marsh anyway?
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
Ill give you an example. If the Newark beltway was created. Would Red Mill road & Harmony road (turning from kirkwood/capitol trail) need turning lanes thats double what Ive ever seen in any state for a local road?

y-yes?
How is a circumferential highway on the other side of town supposed to help traffic get from the Ogletown area and points south up to Kirkwood Highway, Pike Creek, and points north? And in what world is double turn lanes on a two-lane arterial roadway absurd?
I said the turn lanes from kirkwood highway to redmill road. & Harmony road They are not double turn lanes. They are 1 lane & extend double what a normal one lane turning lane is because there is no room for 2 turning lanes. And im giving an example of how not fixing a problem will only make it worse. Was my statement confusing?

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 05:30:12 PM

y-yes?
I said the turn lanes from kirkwood highway to redmill road. & Harmony road They are not double turn lanes. They are 1 lane & extend double what a normal one lane turning lane is because there is no room for 2 turning lanes. And im giving an example of how not fixing a problem will only make it worse. Was my statement confusing?

That long left turn lane from Kirkwood Highway was created by combining the old left turn lane for Old Harmony Road with the existing lane, it was a clever way to expand the turning capacity without spending millions of dollars on road widening that wasn't top priority yet. Now that saved money can be used elsewhere until any potential widening becomes absolutely necessary. You don't seem to understand that the state does not have unlimited funds to acquire hundreds of properties or permits etc. for these projects you've dreamed up. They're being as wise with the money they do have as they can, blowing it all on an expensive beltway that no one seems to be asking for and no one has any room to build is not fiscal prudence.

QuoteWas my statement confusing?
To be completely honest most of them are. For one thing, that long turn lane doesn't go anywhere near Red Mill Road.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2018, 05:39:37 PM

y-yes?

That long left turn lane from Kirkwood Highway was created by combining the old left turn lane for Old Harmony Road with the existing lane, it was a clever way to expand the turning capacity without spending millions of dollars on road widening that wasn't top priority yet. Now that saved money can be used elsewhere until any potential widening becomes absolutely necessary. You don't seem to understand that the state does not have unlimited funds to acquire hundreds of properties or permits etc. for these projects you've dreamed up. They're being as wise with the money they do have as they can, blowing it all on an expensive beltway that no one seems to be asking for and no one has any room to build is not fiscal prudence.

To be completely honest most of them are. For one thing, that long turn lane doesn't go anywhere near Red Mill Road.
Im sorry the road with the other long turning lane is Polly Drummond road. I forgot all roads do not, always carry the same name when crossing another.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 05:45:01 PM

y-yes?

Im sorry the road with the other long turning lane is Polly Drummond road. I forgot all roads do not, always carry the same name when crossing another.

iPhone

Polly Drummond's isn't terribly long either. That whole intersection is getting redone anyhow in a few years, and I believe a project at the Harmony intersection got added to the CTP this past year also.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2018, 06:01:17 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 05:45:01 PM

y-yes?

iPhone

Polly Drummond's isn't terribly long either. That whole intersection is getting redone anyhow in a few years, and I believe a project at the Harmony intersection got added to the CTP this past year also.
Thats good then. How will they widen the road with the grave yard right there. Its gonna be hard to do with all those houses & businesses. & My rants are more how these projects could have helped the area. Every city has a well connected road system & Delaware, well I cant say that so much.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 06:08:38 PM
Every city has a well connected road system & Delaware, well I cant say that so much.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

You haven't left Delaware much, have you?

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 07, 2018, 06:15:43 PM
Every city has a well connected road system & Delaware, well I cant say that so much.

You haven't left Delaware much, have you?
Sorry should have said "Every city needs to have a well connected road system"  I am aware that this is a "everywhere"  issue.

iPhone

ipeters61

Thats good then. How will they widen the road with the grave yard right there. Its gonna be hard to do with all those houses & businesses. & My rants are more how these projects could have helped the area. Every city has a well connected road system & Delaware, well I cant say that so much.
US-202 between King of Prussia PA and New Hope PA...  Hartford could make use of a beltway, but those plans are long gone...  etc.

In my experience of driving through some rush hour traffic in Wilmington and in Hartford, I don't find Wilmington/Newark to be too bad.  If you know the back roads, it's manageable.  It definitely would take longer than traffic-less I-95 (e.g. my old alternate route between Wilmington and Newark was US-13 to DE-273 to DE-58 to DE-4 to DE-72, that usually took 35-40 minutes, I-95 took about 20-25 minutes), but at least I was moving.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 07, 2018, 06:31:00 PM
US-202 between King of Prussia PA and New Hope PA...  Hartford could make use of a beltway, but those plans are long gone...  etc.

In my experience of driving through some rush hour traffic in Wilmington and in Hartford, I don't find Wilmington/Newark to be too bad.  If you know the back roads, it's manageable.  It definitely would take longer than traffic-less I-95 (e.g. my old alternate route between Wilmington and Newark was US-13 to DE-273 to DE-58 to DE-4 to DE-72, that usually took 35-40 minutes, I-95 took about 20-25 minutes), but at least I was moving.
You see how many roads you have to go up & down. Thats my point right there, I know about the back roads that are good when its traffic. But all this thru traffic is clogging the roads we use to simply get from home & work, highways definitely help deference local & commuter traffic. As well as it being vice versa. So maybe  so many local roads wouldnt have to be upgraded if we had highways.

iPhone

seicer

It's a mixed bag. I am a huge fan of complete streets, which can not only make a lot of roadways safer for all users - motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists (for example), but can alleviate traffic on arterials. By having a well-connected network of roads - and not a mess of cul-de-sacs, looping subdivisions with no through routes, and high-speed arterials dividing everything - you can benefit both local and commuter traffic.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on November 07, 2018, 09:24:06 PM
It's a mixed bag. I am a huge fan of complete streets, which can not only make a lot of roadways safer for all users - motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists (for example), but can alleviate traffic on arterials. By having a well-connected network of roads - and not a mess of cul-de-sacs, looping subdivisions with no through routes, and high-speed arterials dividing everything - you can benefit both local and commuter traffic.
Wow that sounds nice. A well connected road system. I wonder if Nimbys would allow that.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 09:40:50 PM
Wow that sounds nice. A well connected road system. I wonder if Nimbys would allow that.

iPhone

Delaware has a well connected road system. It also has a lot of traffic. Another short bypass or two isn't going to suddenly make the state congestion free.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 07, 2018, 10:02:55 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 09:40:50 PM

iPhone

Delaware has a well connected road system. It also has a lot of traffic. Another short bypass or two isn't going to suddenly make the state congestion free.
Cmon jeff thats like saying a beltway wouldn't help philly, Delaware needs a connecting highway aka Beltway. Too many people are going in circles to main points such as Wilmington-Newark-Kirkwood-New castle & Bear.

iPhone

seicer

I think that we should take some of this to the Fictional Highways board. I'm having a hard time keeping up with this.

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on November 07, 2018, 10:10:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 07, 2018, 10:02:55 PM
Cmon jeff thats like saying a beltway wouldn't help philly, Delaware needs a connecting highway aka Beltway. Too many people are going in circles to main points such as Wilmington-Newark-Kirkwood-New castle & Bear.
Philadelphia has a metro area of 6 million, Delaware doesn't even have a population of 1 million (and New Castle County is 560,000).  Hartford has a metro area of 1.2 million, with similar characteristics to Wilmington, and it doesn't have a beltway and, outside of rush hour, it's tolerable.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

Cmon jeff thats like saying a beltway wouldn't help philly

...saying a college town of 30,000+ people doesn't need a beltway is absolutely nothing like saying a metropolitan area of several million people doesn't need a beltway.

Too many people are going in circles to main points such as Wilmington-Newark-Kirkwood-New castle & Bear.

And how do you suppose this exactly?
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.