What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???

Started by thenetwork, August 27, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

Some areas of North Carolina:

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill - "The Triangle"
Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point - "The Triad"
Watauga/Ashe/Avery/Caldwell counties (Boone, Blowing Rock)- "The High Country"
Mecklenburg/Gaston/Union/Cabarrus counties - "Charlotte"
Anywhere east of US 1 and west of I-95 - "The Sandhills"
Anywhere east of I-95 - "Down East"
The outer banks - "The Outer Banks"

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Yes I am hearing that Tampa and Fort Myers, Florida are being referred to as West Coast and Miami and Palm Beach are being referred to as East Coast for Hurricane Irma updates in Florida according to the national news.

Usually the Miami area in the past was known as South Florida prior to Hurricane Irma in the news.

bing101

Tampa is usually called The Bay Area prior to the Hurricane Irma event.

US 89

In Utah:

The urban areas aong the west side of the Wasatch Mountains are known collectively as the Wasatch Front.
Southern SL and northern UT county: Silicon Slopes
Utah County as a whole: Happy Valley
The cities on the other side (Heber, Park City, etc): Wasatch Back
Southwest Utah, especially the St. George area: Dixie
Anything west of the Wasatch Front and I-15: West Desert
US 40 corridor east of Heber: Dinosaurland

Less commonly:

Price area: Castle Country
Logan area: Bridgerland (better known as Cache Valley)
Cedar City area: Color Country

PHLBOS

Quote from: epzik8 on August 28, 2017, 04:56:22 AM
Harford County, Maryland is part of the Baltimore Metro Area, or Northeast Maryland.
Wouldn't the latter term conflict with the town of North East, MD?  Unless you meant to say Northeastern Maryland.

For my hometown of Marblehead, MA; such was referred to as either part of the North Shore or the Greater Boston area (yes the 2 regions overlap somewhat).

Where I presently live (in Delaware County, PA); the locals will call it Delco.  Expanding to include all of southeastern PA, most locals will call it the Delaware Valley (which includes southwest NJ & northern Delaware); some might call it (at least southeastern PA) Greater Philly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Rothman on September 05, 2017, 12:08:33 AM
Where's the Piedmont in NC, then?

The Piedmont is basically an umbrella term for the Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte areas. It's not really used colloquially for any one region.

bing101

Palm Beach, FL was once called the Gold coast prior to Irma. Now its called the east coast of Florida.

Tallahassee was once known as The Panhandle prior to Irma but that got called as The Capital.

DTComposer

As mentioned above, San Jose and environs are usually called the "South Bay" - but it should be noted that there are two other regions in California that use "South Bay" regularly:
-in L.A. County - Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach, Torrance, Carson (South Bay referring to Santa Monica Bay, which doesn't seem like much of a bay to me)
-in San Diego County - Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, National City (South Bay referring to San Diego Bay)

So when in Southern California, I'll just say I'm from the Bay Area (if I don't just say San Jose) rather than the more specific South Bay. That said, if you say East Bay in Southern California, they'll usually know you mean Oakland and vicinity.

The broader term Bay Area is also used in several other locales (Tampa for one, as noted above), but it should be noted that if you just put "Bay Area" in Wikipedia, it gives you the San Francisco Bay Area page.

Also interesting: there is no federal government-defined area that corresponds to the traditional nine-county definition of the Bay Area. The San Francisco-Oakland MSA only includes five counties (and the San Jose MSA includes an outlying county), and the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA includes three outlying counties (for a total of twelve).

LM117

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 29, 2017, 01:05:41 PM
In my area, usually South Jersey.

A newspaper or two tried making GloCo (Gloucester County) a thing, but it's never caught on.

Reminds me of Johnston County in North Carolina. The Triangle area newspapers often refer to it as JoCo, but during my 14 years in neighboring Wayne County (1995-2009) I've never once heard anyone call it that.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: fillup420 on September 04, 2017, 11:37:28 PM
Some areas of North Carolina:

Anywhere east of I-95 - "Down East"

Sometimes, but "Eastern Carolina" was the more popular term. However, Goldsboro does have the Down East Travel Center on US-117 and Kinston has the "Down East Wood Ducks" minor league baseball team, so there's that. :spin:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41270891

If you look at international news you sometimes see Burma get used for the official country of Myanmar. And this shows up when international human rights violations are at play here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/09/13/if-trump-wants-to-unravel-obamas-legacy-he-could-start-with-burma/

jaehak

Quote from: DTComposer on September 14, 2017, 01:49:29 PM
Also interesting: there is no federal government-defined area that corresponds to the traditional nine-county definition of the Bay Area. The San Francisco-Oakland MSA only includes five counties (and the San Jose MSA includes an outlying county), and the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA includes three outlying counties (for a total of twelve).

While the government does recognize CSAs and MSAs, it's not an important distinction. The Kansas City CSA/MSA lies in two states and across multiple counties and municipalities, but there is no "CSA law" or "MSA jurisdiction."  CSAs and MSAs are much more related to TV/media markets than anything else.  The definition of the Bay Area is fluid, like most everywhere else.  Take Chicago - the traditional 6 county definition of Chicagoland is Cook, DuPage, Lake (IL), Kane, Will, and McHenry.  However, one could easily make an argument for Grundy, Lake (IN), Porter, Berrien, Kenosha, and other counties being in the mix depending on what's being looked at.  Hell, there are parts of lower Berrien County (Michigan) that are closer to the loop than parts of outer McHenry. 

inkyatari

Illinois - Everywhere that's not the Chicago area, regardless of compass direction, downstate
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

bing101

jwolfer

Quote from: bing101 on September 10, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
Yes I am hearing that Tampa and Fort Myers, Florida are being referred to as West Coast and Miami and Palm Beach are being referred to as East Coast for Hurricane Irma updates in Florida according to the national news.

Usually the Miami area in the past was known as South Florida prior to Hurricane Irma in the news.
East Coast/West Coast of Florida is used and always has been used for the peninsular coasts. Not new terms at all.

Irma effected the entire state, from the keys to Jacksonville to the Panhandle.

LGMS428

bing101

http://www.ssf.net/our-city/biotech/biotech-in-ssf

That is interesting though I never knew South San Francisco slogan was also called "The Birthplace of Biotechnology".  However when I lived in South San Francisco I didn't really think the Biotech industry was big there. Locals tended to call South City "The industrial city" when I lived there.

But then the more interesting part is that I first heard that my old city South San Francisco is the "Birthplace of Biotechnology" was when I went to my biology class in community college in the Sacramento area and University in the Sacramento Valley. The teachers and job recruiters referred to my childhood city as "The Birthplace of Biotechnology"  Note locals as far as I know never call South San Francisco as Biotech's birthplace they tend to call it South City or the Peninsula.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYP3ipzGFg

How about Hollywood I noticed that the national media refers to this district of Los Angeles as the west coast branch of national media outlets. But when you look at Hollywood in a roadgeek video its more bleak than that.

However TV Studios in the LA area tend to be clustered near the CA-134 freeway.

But Los Angeles residents know that TV/Radio/app studios tend to be  near West LA, Studio City, Universal City, Glendale, Culver City and Burbank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QIAXv3K8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MNN468kIIU.

Here's another roadgeek video where it states that Hollywood also has little Armenia and a Thai district within Hollywood. Note these are facts that Locals are aware of but not the national audiences know about.

bing101

https://sacramentopress.com/2013/08/21/remember-the-west-end-with-blackbird-kitchen-bar/

West end district in Sacramento most older residents might know this district from its past. But West End District Sacramento today is known as Capitol Mall section of Downtown Sacramento.

clong

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 27, 2017, 10:11:29 PM
Area: The counties that border the Tennessee River
Outsiders Call It: Alabama/Northern Alabama
Locals Call It: The Tennessee Valley

Area: The Florence/Muscle Shoals/Sheffield/Tuscumbia, AL area
Outsiders Call It: NW Alabama
Locals Call It: The Shoals.
And some locals refer to it as The Quad Cities.

doorknob60

Boise, ID area (roughly stretching from Ontario or Vale to Boise) - Treasure Valley

Bend, OR area (roughly Madras to La Pine, Sisters to Prineville) - Central Oregon

DTComposer

Quote from: bing101 on September 17, 2017, 01:11:42 PM
(video)

How about Hollywood I noticed that the national media refers to this district of Los Angeles as the west coast branch of national media outlets. But when you look at Hollywood in a roadgeek video its more bleak than that.

But Los Angeles residents know that TV/Radio/app studios tend to be  near West LA, Studio City, Universal City, Glendale, Culver City and Burbank.

(videos)

Here's another roadgeek video where it states that Hollywood also has little Armenia and a Thai district within Hollywood. Note these are facts that Locals are aware of but not the national audiences know about.

Hollywood today is more a metonym for the entertainment industry, regardless of where in the L.A. region it now is, based on the fact that during the rise of the great movie (then television) studios, they were indeed located in the Hollywood district proper (which was once its own independent city).

US 41

Terre Haute and the surrounding area is called "The Wabash Valley" by locals.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

allniter89

The panhandle as in the NW FL panhandle. Because the weather is somewhat different north of I-10, meteorologist use the term "along the I-10 corridor" or "north of the I-10 corridor".
The I-10 corridor is typically the dividing line between warmer weather to the south & hot hot weather to the north in the summer or warmer weather to the south & cold weather to the north in the winter. Thunderstorms often develop 1st along I-10 because of the clash of the hot humid air to the south & the hotter more humid air to the north.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

bing101

Quote from: DTComposer on September 19, 2017, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: bing101 on September 17, 2017, 01:11:42 PM
(video)

(videos)

Hollywood today is more a metonym for the entertainment industry, regardless of where in the L.A. region it now is, based on the fact that during the rise of the great movie (then television) studios, they were indeed located in the Hollywood district proper (which was once its own independent city).

Same with Silicon Valley in Northern California its more of a metonym for the tech sector and not just the electronics industry south of the San Mateo bridge and north of Gilroy. Now Silicon Valley also includes startups in San Francisco and Emeryville. I know the biotech industry has been mentioned as part of Silicon Valley even though they are completely different entities by their respective experts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.