News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2021, 09:28:36 PM
Is this the end of MA 1A?  Or does it loop back to end at I-95?
https://goo.gl/maps/i8ZSDZQhKJSu8uvA6
1A runs concurrent with 1 (by milepost only, not law) north of there.

bob7374

The MassDOT project listing for the US 3 sign replacement project has been updated with the following:
Current Status:   The contractor started mobilizing the work crew and equipment. The subcontractor (Soil X) completed all soil borings. All soil samples will be analyzed. The results will be used for designing the overhead guide sign support system. Cosco, Inc. continues to work on the highway guardrail system. (as of 10/01/2021)
Additional Info:   The installation of the proposed highway guardrail is projected to be completed by the end of the construction season. The first series of overhead sign supports and foundation designs is expected to be completed soon. (as of 10/01/2021).
The project is 4% complete.

storm2k

This falls under "just an observation", but having been in the Woburn area for work the past few days, it is a shame that there isn't room for them to do some sort of better interchange between Rt 93 and Rt 95 there, because that current cloverleaf that exists for an interchange between two main freeways in the immediate Boston suburbs is very substandard for the traffic. Quite a bit of backups each day on there which makes getting on from nearby interchange ramps a really unpleasant chore.

SectorZ

Quote from: storm2k on October 08, 2021, 03:37:58 PM
This falls under "just an observation", but having been in the Woburn area for work the past few days, it is a shame that there isn't room for them to do some sort of better interchange between Rt 93 and Rt 95 there, because that current cloverleaf that exists for an interchange between two main freeways in the immediate Boston suburbs is very substandard for the traffic. Quite a bit of backups each day on there which makes getting on from nearby interchange ramps a really unpleasant chore.

There is room, but is the NIMBYist of conceptual construction projects in the state.

storm2k

On my way home from the northern Boston suburbs, I did dip into downtown Boston to see the Zakim Bridge and the Big Dig (last couple times I was in Boston I took flights there and did not have a rental car so never drove either), and I have to say, the Zakim Bridge is lovely. Got this picture midspan:

SidS1045

A subject of ongoing debate for at least 20 years.  There have been multiple proposals to relieve the pressures on this interchange, and so far none of them have been approved.  The Commonwealth's web page devoted to the project (https://www.mass.gov/i-93i-95-interchange-improvements-project) states the project is "on hold."  Many of us who live in that area aren't holding our collective breath that anything will be done about it.

As Sector Z alluded to, there will be land takings for the project no matter which plan is approved.  The interchange is surrounded by densely populated areas in portions of three towns, each full of NIMBY's who are fiercely resisting any and all changes in their neighborhoods.  In the end it may not matter, as the price for land takings alone could possibly kill the project altogether.  (Current average home prices in these towns is around $700,000 to $900,000.)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hotdogPi

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 13, 2021, 01:39:36 PM

A subject of ongoing debate for at least 20 years.  There have been multiple proposals to relieve the pressures on this interchange, and so far none of them have been approved.  The Commonwealth's web page devoted to the project (https://www.mass.gov/i-93i-95-interchange-improvements-project) states the project is "on hold."  Many of us who live in that area aren't holding our collective breath that anything will be done about it.

As Sector Z alluded to, there will be land takings for the project no matter which plan is approved.  The interchange is surrounded by densely populated areas in portions of three towns, each full of NIMBY's who are fiercely resisting any and all changes in their neighborhoods.  In the end it may not matter, as the price for land takings alone could possibly kill the project altogether.  (Current average home prices in these towns is around $700,000 to $900,000.)

Why couldn't they have used the land as the Woburn Mall was being demolished?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SidS1045

Quote from: 1 on October 13, 2021, 01:55:14 PMWhy couldn't they have used the land as the Woburn Mall was being demolished?

Because it wasn't available.  It was rebuilt and rebranded as Woburn Village. and is actually expanding, including affordable housing in a 350-unit complex still under construction.  Besides, it's too far away to have any practical use in alleviating the traffic problems at the interchange.  Washington Street and Mishawum Road (each with a lot of their own traffic problems) sit between Woburn Village and 93.  The most practical (IMO) solution to the traffic problems involves flyover ramps between the highways, which wouldn't even come close to Woburn Village's site.

kernals12

It seems like there's enough ROW to give large parts of the Southeast Expressway breakdown lanes. Why don't they?

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 09:02:08 AM
It seems like there's enough ROW to give large parts of the Southeast Expressway breakdown lanes. Why don't they?
You're cluttering threads with fictional speculation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2021, 11:59:35 PM
You're cluttering threads with fictional speculation.
That's a legit question.

SectorZ

I've suspected that since they can't add one the entire length, they won't add one anywhere.

That said, near the Granite Ave exit where there is a wider inner median, the tow trucks hang in there when the HOV lane is open in case something goes wrong in there. That specific purpose alone may be one of the reasons that particular stretch has been left alone.

DJStephens

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 13, 2021, 01:39:36 PM

Example of what happens to a cloverleaf, when traffic loads overwhelm it.  It did well for a relatively long time due it's fairly large footprint.   Weaving issues occur when traffic counts exceed it's capacity.   Yes there should have been planning, and acquisitions in the area surrounding it, starting in the seventies.  Remember congestion, and delays there, in the late eighties.  Can only imagine it now.  What is needed is a full directional stack, with high ramp design speeds.  Segmental or Box Beam Design would be a plus, guess standard steel girder is what is envisioned.       

Pete from Boston

Apparently the City of Woburn has been advancing its own plan for a relief onramp to 93 South from Washington Street via Cedar Street. I'm not sure how that merge is going to work with the 128/95 North to 93 South ramp ending in the same place.

http://homenewshere.com/middlesex_east/article_662e277a-eaad-11e9-929c-03869f5e9d82.html

kernals12

Someday that interchange will become a stack or at least a cloverstack, once MassDOT finds the money.

As you can see here, it's possible to upgrade the interchange without significant ROW takings, in fact, land is freed up by the removal of the large loop ramps.

kernals12

Another interchange that needs major work: US 3/I-95. When I'm driving NB on 95 to work I see a long line of cars on US 3 slowing down for the loop on the trumpet interchange and when I'm driving SB from work, I see a long queue from the C/D road that provides access to the Burlington Mall and US 3 NB.

They should build a directional ramp for traffic getting from US 3 to I-95 NB and they should have a braided ramp to eliminate the weave between US 3 and the Middlesex Turnpike.

kramie13

Speaking of Route 1A and "A" routes in general, I have some questions to ask:

1. Does there need to be a route 1A and a route 3A paralleling routes 1 and 3 for almost their entire stretches through Massachusetts?
2. Why is route 1A a state route when route 1 is a US route?  Same for routes 3A (north of Boston), 6A, 7A, and 20A.
3. There are 2 route 8A's in the Berkshires.  Couldn't one of them be route 8B?
4. Do we need a MA state route 3 in addition to a US route 3?  Wouldn't it make for sense for the south shore route 3 to be a completely different route number to avoid confusion?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: kernals12 on October 17, 2021, 10:25:19 PM

Someday that interchange will become a stack or at least a cloverstack, once MassDOT finds the money.

As you can see here, it's possible to upgrade the interchange without significant ROW takings, in fact, land is freed up by the removal of the large loop ramps.

I think it's guilt by association...even if it's true, it would take up less land, freeways are bad are so engrained in people's minds it doesn't matter anymore.  Plus, high rise ramps "OMG terrible" is what people will say, ignoring the fact there's a huge expressway there already.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kernals12

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 18, 2021, 12:50:25 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 17, 2021, 10:25:19 PM

I think it's guilt by association...even if it's true, it would take up less land, freeways are bad are so engrained in people's minds it doesn't matter anymore.  Plus, high rise ramps "OMG terrible" is what people will say, ignoring the fact there's a huge expressway there already.

I think it's just the sheer cost.

Alps

Quote from: kramie13 on October 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Speaking of Route 1A and "A" routes in general, I have some questions to ask:

1. Does there need to be a route 1A and a route 3A paralleling routes 1 and 3 for almost their entire stretches through Massachusetts?
2. Why is route 1A a state route when route 1 is a US route?  Same for routes 3A (north of Boston), 6A, 7A, and 20A.
3. There are 2 route 8A's in the Berkshires.  Couldn't one of them be route 8B?
4. Do we need a MA state route 3 in addition to a US route 3?  Wouldn't it make for sense for the south shore route 3 to be a completely different route number to avoid confusion?
1. These are remnants of the former road bypassed by newer alignments. Sometimes the state is able to relinquish maintenance - especially for dead ends or short pieces - but sometimes it isn't and has to assign a number. (MA does unnumbered highways more than most states, but in this case it's next to the parent highway so why not.) The number lets you know that it's continuous enough to take until you get to the rest of the highway system.
2. Varies by state. Maine likes the Alternates to be US highways, RI used to have US 1A as well as RI 1A, but Mass has never done it that way. Same in NY except US 20A for some reason.
3. Yes. That is a perplexing one. They really could outright get rid of the one of them that gets no traffic and doesn't resemble a state highway. (Even if it's in their logs, as noted above, MA has unnumbered highways.)
4. I wish the whole thing was US 3. Someone in MA must have thought that would happen someday, but I don't believe anyone ever applied to connect them.

kernals12

Has anyone else noticed the enormous amount of debris on the inside shoulder of 95? Is that because they don't sweep it up frequently because it's dangerous?

roadman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on September 21, 2021, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 21, 2021, 10:48:03 AM
New signs, still mostly covered, going up in Medford on 93 saying "buses use breakdown lane."  What's the story behind this?

I was just going to ask this... here are what such signs look like as I drove thru there on Sunday. I'm not to positive about why, but I think it either has to do with the I-93 HOV lanes being reinstated a while ago and/or an expansion of the (MBTA?) bus lane network in the Greater Boston area. They appear to run from about Exit 21/22 to the south (around where the I-93 SB HOV begins) to Exit 27 to the north (just before I-95/MA 128), please correct me if I am wrong.

This is on I-93 SB near Exit 24 in Stoneham:

This is on I-93 NB just before Exit 25 in Stoneham:

The signs are very similar to MA-W8-26 signs with the "BREAKDOWN LANE TRAVEL PERMITTED WEEKDAYS XX-YY AM/PM" message being replaced with "BUSES USING BREAKDOWN LANE MON-FRI XX-YY AM/PM":

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/massdot-alerts-drivers-to-bus-on-shoulder-testing-on-section-of-i-93/
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kernals12

Quote from: roadman on October 21, 2021, 12:54:50 PM
New signs, still mostly covered, going up in Medford on 93 saying "buses use breakdown lane."  What's the story behind this?

I was just going to ask this... here are what such signs look like as I drove thru there on Sunday. I'm not to positive about why, but I think it either has to do with the I-93 HOV lanes being reinstated a while ago and/or an expansion of the (MBTA?) bus lane network in the Greater Boston area. They appear to run from about Exit 21/22 to the south (around where the I-93 SB HOV begins) to Exit 27 to the north (just before I-95/MA 128), please correct me if I am wrong.

The signs are very similar to MA-W8-26 signs with the "BREAKDOWN LANE TRAVEL PERMITTED WEEKDAYS XX-YY AM/PM" message being replaced with "BUSES USING BREAKDOWN LANE MON-FRI XX-YY AM/PM":

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/massdot-alerts-drivers-to-bus-on-shoulder-testing-on-section-of-i-93/

That sounds very dangerous. Imagine it: you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and all of a sudden, a bus comes plowing down the shoulder at full speed just a few feet from your car.

SidS1045

Quote from: kernals12 on October 21, 2021, 01:32:15 PMThat sounds very dangerous. Imagine it: you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and all of a sudden, a bus comes plowing down the shoulder at full speed just a few feet from your car.

Buses will be restricted to 35mph in the breakdown lane.  A testing period using empty buses began Wednesday 10/20 and is expected to last three weeks.  The stretch of I-93 where buses will be permitted to use the breakdown lane is about 7 miles, from Somerville to the I-95 junction in Reading/Woburn.  According to MassDOT, only buses operated by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority and Logan Express will be allowed in the breakdown lane.  The buses will be required to yield to motorists using entrance and exit lanes.

The Boston-bound buses will have one heck of a weave at the southern end of the breakdown-lane use.  They'll have to move to the far left lane in short order to enter the HOV lane.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on October 21, 2021, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 21, 2021, 12:54:50 PM

That sounds very dangerous. Imagine it: you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and all of a sudden, a bus comes plowing down the shoulder at full speed just a few feet from your car.

Since when don't Bostonians do the very same thing?  They"ve been using the shoulder to get around jams for decades -- probably since the car was invented.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.