News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 11, 2021, 08:46:22 AM
I didn't realize this had been held up in litigation for so long. I just assumed it was moving forward at South Carolina speed.

While I-73 and I-74 each serve their purpose of reaching popular destinations, you have to admit it's rather redundant having two rural interstates running parallel to each other only 20-40 miles apart for the majority of the way. That's hard to sell with today's costs. I'd personally have I-73 hook towards Cheraw, Darlington and Florence before heading for Myrtle, but they're probably trying to avoid crossing the Pee Dee. I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it north of I-95.

Oh, I-73 will be built north of I-95. There are a little to no wetlands along that route up to Rockingham, NC. The only reason they want to build I-73 south of I-95 is to connect MB with the rest of the interstate system (that's understandable). I have been saying for a long time that they should have built I-73 from NC border to I-95 first so that they would have the route already set while being held up by environmental lawsuits. But it didn't happen, so that's why the route have not been built for so many years.

I don't see a problem with I-73/I-74 paralleling each other. Other interstates do that. (see Chicago, NYC, LA and San Francisco area). I just don't see the reason for I-74 to head to MB area since I-73 is going there. IMO, I-74 shouldn't exist in NC but we all know that.

Strider

MB, Horry County and the surrounding towns/countries are not going to waste their time planning to find money for I-73. I, for one, am very happy because this route should have already been built if it isn't for these environmentalists holding things up.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/09/09/grand-strand-leaders-planning-ways-fund-interstate-73/

sparker

Quote from: Strider on September 11, 2021, 03:55:17 PM
MB, Horry County and the surrounding towns/countries are not going to waste their time planning to find money for I-73. I, for one, am very happy because this route should have already been built if it isn't for these environmentalists holding things up.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/09/09/grand-strand-leaders-planning-ways-fund-interstate-73/

A nice healthy excise tax on the sales of graphic T-shirts might go a long way to getting the project funded! :hyper:

Strider

Quote from: sparker on September 11, 2021, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: Strider on September 11, 2021, 03:55:17 PM

A nice healthy excise tax on the sales of graphic T-shirts might go a long way to getting the project funded! :hyper:

lol that could work.  :-D

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Strider on September 11, 2021, 03:53:14 PM
I don't see a problem with I-73/I-74 paralleling each other. Other interstates do that. (see Chicago, NYC, LA and San Francisco area). I just don't see the reason for I-74 to head to MB area since I-73 is going there. IMO, I-74 shouldn't exist in NC but we all know that.

Slight differences in population between the country's largest metros and northeastern SC/southeastern NC....

I know the routing is unlikely to change at this point, but it seems like they could have overlapped for a bit longer before splitting to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington to save on costs and impacts. I'm just imagining a scenario where I-73 is finished from I-95 to Myrtle. How many citizens of South Carolina do you think will support building a $1 billion+ highway to connect Rockingham and Bennettsville to I-95 when they're still trying to catch up on improving I-20, I-26, I-85 and every other road they've neglected over the past 30 years? How much will the feds be willing to contribute? If the section from I-95 to Myrtle is completed first, South Carolina legislative support for the rest of the highway will drop immensely afterwards since travelers from the Upstate and the Midlands will have the only section of the highway they need.

Strider

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 14, 2021, 07:57:25 AM

Slight differences in population between the country's largest metros and northeastern SC/southeastern NC....

I know the routing is unlikely to change at this point, but it seems like they could have overlapped for a bit longer before splitting to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington to save on costs and impacts. I'm just imagining a scenario where I-73 is finished from I-95 to Myrtle. How many citizens of South Carolina do you think will support building a $1 billion+ highway to connect Rockingham and Bennettsville to I-95 when they're still trying to catch up on improving I-20, I-26, I-85 and every other road they've neglected over the past 30 years? How much will the feds be willing to contribute? If the section from I-95 to Myrtle is completed first, South Carolina legislative support for the rest of the highway will drop immensely afterwards since travelers from the Upstate and the Midlands will have the only section of the highway they need.

Don't give me "oh, there is a slight difference between..." argument. That kind of argument is overrated. and no, I-73 is not going to be concurrent with I-95. and the support for the rest of the highway isn't going to drop. The whole thing will eventually be built.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on September 14, 2021, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 14, 2021, 07:57:25 AM

Don't give me "oh, there is a slight difference between..." argument. That kind of argument is overrated. and no, I-73 is not going to be concurrent with I-95. and the support for the rest of the highway isn't going to drop. The whole thing will eventually be built.
Can we start with something easy, like the Latta bypass? I believe the plans for that are on the shelf.

RoadPelican

I don't see SC ever building a US 501 bypass around Latta.  SC 38 is a good 4 lane 60 MPH expressway that passes just to the south of Latta and connects directly with I-95 and US 501.

sprjus4

^ All of I-73 in South Carolina is proposed on new location, so yes it would be realigned.

wdcrft63

Quote from: RoadPelican on September 14, 2021, 07:09:52 PM
I don't see SC ever building a US 501 bypass around Latta.  SC 38 is a good 4 lane 60 MPH expressway that passes just to the south of Latta and connects directly with I-95 and US 501.
Ten years ago SCDOT had this to say:
"Final design for the section of I-73 from I-95 to US Route 501 began in July 2011. This design includes 10 bridges, as well as drainage, geotechnical, maintenance of traffic and traffic control, signage, pavement marking, erosion control and utility plans. Other services included in the contract are final surveys, utility coordination, railroad coordination and construction support. Anticipated completion of the final construction plans is in mid April 2012. Depending on available funding and the receipt of the Clean Water Act Section 401/404 permit, construction could begin by the end of 2012. This will be the first section of I-73 to be designed and constructed in South Carolina, and will ultimately provide a vital link between I-95 and the Grand Strand/Myrtle Beach area."

http://www.i73insc.com
http://www.i73insc.com/images/home_page_figures/I-73_South_between_I-95_and_U.S.501.jpg

Maybe that's all obsolete by now. But my point is: the only way to begin is to begin. I-73 will never be built unless some piece of it is built. Building something makes the road real and creates some interest in building additional segments.

AcE_Wolf_287

What's the Current Timeline of I-73 Construction in SC? when sill it start or is something blocking that process?

sprjus4

The Ghostbuster

Did anyone ever propose building Interstate 73 as a toll road, in case funding of any other type never materializes?

plain

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2021, 09:10:18 PM
Did anyone ever propose building Interstate 73 as a toll road, in case funding of any other type never materializes?

Back in the day something like that would seem more feasible, given that such a road would almost guarantee to be a worthwhile investment. But in today's climate, I wouldn't be too sure. Too much uncertainty in being able to get your money back from such a lengthy road, let alone see a profit. And this road would be largely seasonal (Myrtle Beach's metro isn't quite as big as Charleston's for example). Maybe if SC's portion wasn't so long then it would be an option.

What if I-73 were to stay multiplexed with I-74  :rolleyes: until somewhere SE of I-95, then drop down to Myrtle Beach? It wouldn't be as long and someone thinking about investing in a toll road may be more inclined to do so.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You mean like Ohio once did?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Mapmikey

See reply #217 in this thread

Crown Victoria

Gov. McMaster pledges $300 million for I-73, pending approval by the state legislature...

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article254683167.html

ARMOURERERIC

How much road will that get you.

wdcrft63

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 05, 2021, 06:17:05 PM
Maybe 10 miles if you have some ROW already. The story says they'll start with the Latta segment, I-95 to US 501. Plans for that are on the shelf; I'm not sure if they have the ROW.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 05, 2021, 08:48:22 PM
Maybe 10 miles if you have some ROW already. The story says they'll start with the Latta segment, I-95 to US 501. Plans for that are on the shelf; I'm not sure if they have the ROW.
I viewed the ancient video of this segment, then went to Google satellite.   I see what looks like a discernable ROW.

Henry

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 06, 2021, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 05, 2021, 08:48:22 PM
I viewed the ancient video of this segment, then went to Google satellite.   I see what looks like a discernable ROW.
I agree, they should get the coastal segment out of the way first, then work their way back to Rockingham after that. That way, the Piedmont Triad will have a more direct connection to Myrtle Beach, something I-74 will never give them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2021, 10:28:59 AM
I agree, they should get the coastal segment out of the way first, then work their way back to Rockingham after that. That way, the Piedmont Triad will have a more direct connection to Myrtle Beach, something I-74 will never give them.

The Piedmont Triad already has a good route to the beach, as I-40 gets you headed towards Morehead City and Wilmington.  I-74/I-73 is along the traditional route that folks from the Great Lakes and West Virginia take to get to the beach.  From what I've seen at North Carolina beaches like Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle, Topsail, Surf City, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Oak Island,, they are all getting more folks from Michigan/Ohio/West Virginia because of faster speed routes in North Carolina.  South Carolina is needing to catch up, but I'm starting to wonder if North Carolina would ever bother to build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.

Strider

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 01:51:40 PM

The Piedmont Triad already has a good route to the beach, as I-40 gets you headed towards Morehead City and Wilmington.  I-74/I-73 is along the traditional route that folks from the Great Lakes and West Virginia take to get to the beach.  From what I've seen at North Carolina beaches like Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle, Topsail, Surf City, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Oak Island,, they are all getting more folks from Michigan/Ohio/West Virginia because of faster speed routes in North Carolina.  South Carolina is needing to catch up, but I'm starting to wonder if North Carolina would ever bother to build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.

North Carolina will build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.... when SC is extending their part of I-73 from I-95 to the NC border. NC has a habit of waiting for another states to finish building their section of the interstate before they can proceed.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Strider on October 06, 2021, 03:55:55 PM
North Carolina will build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.... when SC is extending their part of I-73 from I-95 to the NC border. NC has a habit of waiting for another states to finish building their section of the interstate before they can proceed.

The nice thing about the I-74 extension from Rockingham into South Carolina is that it will also improve US-1 heading toward Columbia.

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 11:01:29 PM

Quote from: Strider on October 06, 2021, 03:55:55 PM

The nice thing about the I-74 extension from Rockingham into South Carolina is that it will also improve US-1 heading toward Columbia.
The I-73 extension would follow NC/SC-38, not US-1.

Either way, once I-73 is complete between Rockingham and I-95, travel times would be around 10-15 minutes faster than current, and I-73/I-95/I-20 could be a viable, all freeway route over US-1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.