News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/roadwork/s_636269.html

Apparently they're breaking ground today on the projects that will finally complete the W.V. section.

Still no design illustrations of how the interchange will look, and the closest thing to a description doesn't sound accurate:

QuoteThe expressway will connect with I-68 near Lakeview Resort. Construction will include a four-lane ramp and a small bridge, according to Walker.

I doubt there will be "a ramp" that is 4-lanes.

Tweaked title (x3). -rmf67
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

It's about bloody time.

Rand McNally has shown this stretch as under construction for years.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Mon-Fayette?  Where do they come up with such dumb names?  "Monsieur Lafayette" or whatever was too much to spell out?  Why not just abbreviate it all the way to "Mofo" and be done with it?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Monongahela River.  It's frequently called the "Mon" as in Mon Valley.

PAHighways

About time!  This is the second time West Virginia took their sweet time connecting a limited access highway at the border.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on August 03, 2009, 09:08:08 PM
About time!  This is the second time West Virginia took their sweet time connecting a limited access highway at the border.

What was the other highway?  I-79?

PAHighways

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 03, 2009, 10:52:50 PM

It was 79.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on August 03, 2009, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 03, 2009, 10:52:50 PM

It was 79.

Thought so.

CanesFan27

Quote from: mightyace on August 03, 2009, 05:49:33 PM
It's about bloody time.

Rand McNally has shown this stretch as under construction for years.

Well it kinda has.  West Virginia had been building it pretty much bridge by bridge as funding was available over the past decade.

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2009, 07:52:20 PM
Mon-Fayette?  Where do they come up with such dumb names?  "Monsieur Lafayette" or whatever was too much to spell out?  Why not just abbreviate it all the way to "Mofo" and be done with it?

Jake,

It was originally going to be called the Mon Valley Expressway (the highway plans date to the 1960s if not earlier).  Steve correctly pointed out that Mon comes from Monongahela River.  The "Fayette" portion of the name is relatively new, and it was politicians from Fayette County which wanted and successfully got the name changed.

A lot of people, like myself, still call it the Mon Valley Expressway though.

Mr_Northside

I can't say this surprises me.  I don't know how it will work out though.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_636691.html

It will be interesting to hear what they think they should get.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

agentsteel53

Dear Fayette County,

You spent time and effort and taxpayer money on ... that?? Die in a fire.

- Jake

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 04, 2009, 09:27:52 AM
I can't say this surprises me.  I don't know how it will work out though.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_636691.html

It will be interesting to hear what they think they should get.

If WV want tolls, they should put a toll barrier on their portion.  :crazy:

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 04, 2009, 01:17:44 PM
Dear Fayette County,

You spent time and effort and taxpayer money on ... that?? Die in a fire.

- Jake

Enhance your calm, besides why do you care so much about the name change?

Of course politicians are going to steer a major highway into their district.  So far, PA Turnpike 43 has brought an industrial park to the area near Exit 8.  There was even an article a few weeks back in the Uniontown paper about townships having to confront the issue of growth near the highway, which for Fayette County, there isn't much to start from.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on August 04, 2009, 01:27:59 PMIf WV want tolls, they should put a toll barrier on their portion.  :crazy:

I always assumed that if it too WVDOT too long to build WV 43, that they'd do what PennDOT did and hand it over to the toll road authority to build and toll.

agentsteel53

it's not that the road was steered into Fayette County.  That makes sense.  It's that they insisted on changing the name.  That's just bloviation. 

I just don't like names for highways in general.  Numbers are infinitely more apolitical and easier to keep track of.  (Well, until the Borg conquer us and Route 6 is suddenly named for Senator 6 of 11.)

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

Quote from: PAHighways on August 04, 2009, 03:34:54 PM
Quote from: mightyace on August 04, 2009, 01:27:59 PMIf WV want tolls, they should put a toll barrier on their portion.  :crazy:

I always assumed that if it too WVDOT too long to build WV 43, that they'd do what PennDOT did and hand it over to the toll road authority to build and toll.
Please, let's let PA pull a PennDOT  :cool:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 04, 2009, 03:46:07 PM
it's not that the road was steered into Fayette County.  That makes sense.  It's that they insisted on changing the name.  That's just bloviation.

Why shouldn't it be acknowledged too?  The original plan for the Mon Valley Expressway was to basically follow the valley, but it doesn't south of 40 and I wouldn't say Uniontown is a Mon Valley town.

PAHighways

Quote from: njroadhorse on August 04, 2009, 03:57:40 PM

You mean West Virigina?

agentsteel53

shall we acknowledge anyone and everyone that had anything to do with the highway?  Where does it stop?

I say "PA turnpike 43" is sufficient.

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 04, 2009, 07:18:24 PMshall we acknowledge anyone and everyone that had anything to do with the highway?  Where does it stop?

OK, then it really should be the Mon Valley/Fayette County/James J. Manderino Memorial/J. Barry Stout/Medal of Honor Expressway.

I don't understand why changing from "Mon Valley Expressway" to "Mon-Fayette Expressway" has you so up in arms?  It isn't like it cost any money to change the name and the new moniker represents more accurately the path of the expressway.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 04, 2009, 07:18:24 PMI say "PA turnpike 43" is sufficient.

Everyone calls it "43" anyway since there is a plain PA 43 part.

Mr_Northside

Actually... I don't even know that there are any official signs that "name" it that anyway.  I'm sure it's mostly the numbered shields and occaisonally the "memorial" or political names.  (And if memory serves (and it doesn't always), numerous interchanges are dedicated to some people)

Quote from: mightyace on August 04, 2009, 01:27:59 PM
If WV want tolls, they should put a toll barrier on their portion.

That would seem extremely wasteful and redundant.  Given that the only exits in WV are at the terminus, if it's decided that there should be some tolling reimbursement, something like this is more efficient than throwing up a separate collection system for 4 miles of road.

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Quote from: mightyace on August 04, 2009, 01:27:59 PM
If WV want tolls, they should put a toll barrier on their portion.

That would seem extremely wasteful and redundant.  Given that the only exits in WV are at the terminus, if it's decided that there should be some tolling reimbursement, something like this is more efficient than throwing up a separate collection system for 4 miles of road.

That does make more sense Mr. N, but we're talking about state governments and turnpike commissions here.  :pan:

If it would somehow come to pass, I would bet that the last mainline toll in PA would increase the toll amount to pay WV's "share!"  :ded:

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Actually... I don't even know that there are any official signs that "name" it that anyway.  I'm sure it's mostly the numbered shields and occaisonally the "memorial" or political names.  (And if memory serves (and it doesn't always), numerous interchanges are dedicated to some people)

There is/was a sign for James J. Manderino on southbound 43 at the California Toll Plaza, and one for J. Barry Stout somewhere north of I-70.

As for the memorial interchanges, I have them listed on the exit guide.

njroadhorse

Quote from: PAHighways on August 04, 2009, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on August 04, 2009, 03:57:40 PM

You mean West Virigina?
Yeah  :-D
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.