News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

I'm no engineer, but the photos of the bridge's underbelly shows significant deterioration so severe as to make you wonder why it was only discovered recently.

Beeper1

Quote from: Alps on December 12, 2023, 05:44:26 PM
Is this the ancient concrete arch bridge on I-195? I'm not surprised if that's the one.

It is the "twin" of the old arch bridge.  The original arch bridge from the 1930s was the eastbound span, which was completely rebuilt within the last decade.   The westbound span that was just found to have the problem was built in the 1960s when the crossing was expanded for the then-new I-195.     

Ted$8roadFan

One reporter from a Providence TV station compared it to Boston during the Big Dig, which isn't inaccurate. The reason why traffic is so horrible, however, is because there few alternatives to enter Providence from the east besides local streets, as many residents of East Providence and the East Side of Providence are finding out.

JMoses24

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 12, 2023, 09:07:22 PM
I'm no engineer, but the photos of the bridge's underbelly shows significant deterioration so severe as to make you wonder why it was only discovered recently.

They addressed that during today's briefing. Apparently, these same pins were just fine in July. Speculation is a heavy load did something that stressed pins to the point of failure.

Alps

Quote from: JMoses24 on December 13, 2023, 02:57:36 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 12, 2023, 09:07:22 PM

They addressed that during today's briefing. Apparently, these same pins were just fine in July. Speculation is a heavy load did something that stressed pins to the point of failure.
I kinda hinted at that in another thread (maybe on FB) - these things don't fail over time, they look fine and then suddenly snap.

Ted$8roadFan

RIDOT has completed modifications to open two westbound lanes on the eastbound Washington Bridge until the westbound lanes are fixed.

https://www.wpri.com/traffic/road-work/washington-bridge-closure-december-15-2023/

Ted$8roadFan

There is a new traffic pattern at the mammoth I-95/RI-146 interchange, just north of the US-6/RI-10 interchange:

https://www.wpri.com/traffic/road-work/new-route-146-exit-on-i-95-north-opening-saturday/

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 06, 2024, 03:35:34 PM
There is a new traffic pattern at the mammoth I-95/RI-146 interchange, just north of the US-6/RI-10 interchange:

https://www.wpri.com/traffic/road-work/new-route-146-exit-on-i-95-north-opening-saturday/
So... if I'm looking at the project correctly... I-95 will essentially have an express/local system northbound through downtown Providence?

https://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/I-95ViaductNorth/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

pderocco

Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2024, 10:01:52 PM

So... if I'm looking at the project correctly... I-95 will essentially have an express/local system northbound through downtown Providence?

I don't think so, just some long CD lanes. There isn't much room in downtown Providence.

vdeane

Quote from: pderocco on January 06, 2024, 10:17:37 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2024, 10:01:52 PM

I don't think so, just some long CD lanes. There isn't much room in downtown Providence.
I suppose this is borderline on whether something is a c/d lane or local lanes, but I would be more inclined to view this as express/local given how the four lanes split into two for the interchanges, two thru.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mariethefoxy

Question: Was US 1A from Warwick to the MA Line demoted to RI 1A?

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: mariethefoxy on January 07, 2024, 10:31:04 PM

I've been curious about this myself. It appears that US 1A abd RI 1A are separate roadways. RI 1A, best known as Scenic 1A, follows US 1 through South County from Westerly to North Kingstown. US 1A runs from the much bigger communities of Warwick to Pawtucket, and isn't really scenic.

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 08, 2024, 05:55:44 AM

I've been curious about this myself. It appears that US 1A abd RI 1A are separate roadways. RI 1A, best known as Scenic 1A, follows US 1 through South County from Westerly to North Kingstown. US 1A runs from the much bigger communities of Warwick to Pawtucket, and isn't really scenic.
US 1A appears to have been downgraded over a decade ago.  Many locations, I can't even find US 1A signs in the history in street view - only RI 1A and MA 1A.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: vdeane on January 08, 2024, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 08, 2024, 05:55:44 AM

US 1A appears to have been downgraded over a decade ago.  Many locations, I can't even find US 1A signs in the history in street view - only RI 1A and MA 1A.

The Thurber's Ave Exit signs on I-95 had US 1A shields until recently. Also whoever is doing the wikipedia articles for Rhode Island needs to update the 1A page for the Providence/Pawtucket segment then

pderocco

Was that ever really US-1A? The other 1A routes in RI were always state routes, as I recall, just as they are in MA. The fact that Google shows them as US-1A means nothing.

vdeane

Quote from: pderocco on January 08, 2024, 11:09:29 PM
Was that ever really US-1A? The other 1A routes in RI were always state routes, as I recall, just as they are in MA. The fact that Google shows them as US-1A means nothing.
It was signed at one time as a US route and it must have had some kind of status, since TM included it as a US route for many years.

jp the roadgeek

Had to have happened sometime between 2012 and 2014.  The GSV at the corner of US 1 (Post Rd) in Warwick shows a US 1A shield in 2012 and a RI 1A shield in 2014.  So it would seem the only legit US 1A's in New England are in CT and ME. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 09, 2024, 01:23:09 PM
Had to have happened sometime between 2012 and 2014.  The GSV at the corner of US 1 (Post Rd) in Warwick shows a US 1A shield in 2012 and a RI 1A shield in 2014.  So it would seem the only legit US 1A's in New England are in CT and ME. 
That's actually one of the last US 1A shields to remain.  Pretty much every other location I can find reference to the route (aside from some guide signs on I-95) has been signed RI/MA 1A since at least 2008.  Hence why it's hard to say when it lost the US route status.

bob7374

Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2024, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 09, 2024, 01:23:09 PM
That's actually one of the last US 1A shields to remain.  Pretty much every other location I can find reference to the route (aside from some guide signs on I-95) has been signed RI/MA 1A since at least 2008.  Hence why it's hard to say when it lost the US route status.
Did a search of the AASHTO database, there is only 1 application listed for US 1A for RI. This was from 1962 when RI got approval to switch the US 1 and 1A designations between Wakefield and Wickford. This for what is signed as RI 1A today, so the redesignation of US to RI 1A seems to have been going on for a while.

Link to the application: https://na4.visualvault.com/app/AASHTO/Default/documentviewer?DhID=a268064a-51e6-ea11-a98a-ff9beffbfef8&hidemenu=true

Alps

You all sound uncertain, so let me state with certainty: US 1A has been de-designated in RI, and is entirely RI 1A now in all its segments.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on January 10, 2024, 05:45:23 PM
You all sound uncertain, so let me state with certainty: US 1A has been de-designated in RI, and is entirely RI 1A now in all its segments.
So decreeth the Alps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Although 1-A is the same route throughout the state, the Providence-area 1-A still isn't Scenic 1-A, found in South County.

Beeper1

Though RI used to sign it with a US route shield, I don't think the Warwick-Attleboro route has ever been accepted by AASHTO as a US route.  The section in MA was never signed as US-1A.  It, like all A routes in Mass, was signed as a state route.    I doubt AASHTO would have approved this as a US Alt route if it didn't include the entire route.

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on January 10, 2024, 07:40:03 PM
Though RI used to sign it with a US route shield, I don't think the Warwick-Attleboro route has ever been accepted by AASHTO as a US route.  The section in MA was never signed as US-1A.  It, like all A routes in Mass, was signed as a state route.    I doubt AASHTO would have approved this as a US Alt route if it didn't include the entire route.
I believe it was. The section in MA was very short and MA just never got with it. I can't say with certainty and I'm not 100% sure if AASHTO had to approve A routes.

Ted$8roadFan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.