News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2021, 12:30:08 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 10, 2021, 12:15:03 PM
The same information (I mean the same, with typos and all) has now been posted on the MassDOT blog:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/exit-renumbering-operations-have-been-completed-on-nine-statewide-corridors/

Noticed this wording about I-84: "Interstate 84 renumbering operations will begin on Sunday, February 28, and will take place from the I-90 interchange in Sturbridge to the Connecticut border." Does this mean they are giving a number to the I-90 exit, or should they have said US 20 in Sturbridge to the Connecticut border?
Maybe MassDOT is doing a random act of consistency & decided to add Exit 7 A/B tabs for the I-90 interchange signs along I-84 eastbound.  :hmm:
Once you go to AET, you lose the toll plaza being a "breakpoint" that lets the driver "reset" and find their way, so there really ought to be exit numbers there.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on February 11, 2021, 12:12:07 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2021, 12:30:08 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 10, 2021, 12:15:03 PM
The same information (I mean the same, with typos and all) has now been posted on the MassDOT blog:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/exit-renumbering-operations-have-been-completed-on-nine-statewide-corridors/

Noticed this wording about I-84: "Interstate 84 renumbering operations will begin on Sunday, February 28, and will take place from the I-90 interchange in Sturbridge to the Connecticut border." Does this mean they are giving a number to the I-90 exit, or should they have said US 20 in Sturbridge to the Connecticut border?
Maybe MassDOT is doing a random act of consistency & decided to add Exit 7 A/B tabs for the I-90 interchange signs along I-84 eastbound.  :hmm:
Once you go to AET, you lose the toll plaza being a "breakpoint" that lets the driver "reset" and find their way, so there really ought to be exit numbers there.
Agree 100%.  I even sent in a comment to the MassDOT site & the response I received was kind of a brush-off.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

deathtopumpkins

I would expect MassDOT to have finished US 3 northbound last night. When I drove through around 2 am a crew was working on the service signs for (old) Exit 36 - the last one.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ProfBrad

I was driving southbound today on 495 in Littleton and noticed a number of  new exit signs stacked up by the 2A exit.  One of the signs said exit 88 so I am assuming these are going to be used on 495?

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 09, 2021, 11:15:58 AMIn general, Massachusetts bases the new exit number on the milepost where the two roadways cross, and uses the commonly accepted rounding convention (i.e., 0.4 mile or less, round down; 0.5 mile or greater, round up) in determining the new exit numbers.  Note that, at present, there is no requirement in the MUTCD to always round the number down to match the lower of the two mileposts.
Not to throw stones here, but MassDOT has/is taken some liberties on some of its interchange renumbering: the planned interchange renumberings for the eastern stretch of MA 2 and MA 128 from Danvers through Wenham come to mind.  Yes, I'm aware such was done do reduce suffixing/alphabet soup; but the deviations from the actual mile markers, particularly along the 128 stretch, go way too far IMHO... and I stated such on the website.

Also, I still do not agree with I-95's Exit 45 (MA 128 North) becoming Exit 64 when it IMHO should be Exit 65 due to Mile Marker 65 being located within the interchange footprint.  Note: the mile marker has been missing since the Sept. GSV was taken.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Work started on MA 128 last night in Gloucester, from monitoring Waze reports they got at least to MA 133 (New Exit 53). Here's an article that appeared in yesterday's online Gloucester Times:
https://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/route-128-exits-to-be-renumbered-thursday-night/article_d4d6036f-2b93-5f00-aca1-fb0d8c315c86.html

The Ghostbuster

I'm glad Highway 128 is getting rid of its goofy exit sequence, where the exit sequence started at 9 instead of 1. One oddity I have noticed along the route is the eastbound at-grade intersection at Wayside Dr. between Exits 43 and 44 (old 22 and 21). I don't suppose there are any plans to eliminate that at-grade intersection, but I do wonder why it exists, given that the Trask Ln. jug-handle interchange is just east of it.

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on February 12, 2021, 11:46:28 AM
Work started on MA 128 last night in Gloucester, from monitoring Waze reports they got at least to MA 133 (New Exit 53). Here's an article that appeared in yesterday's online Gloucester Times:
https://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/route-128-exits-to-be-renumbered-thursday-night/article_d4d6036f-2b93-5f00-aca1-fb0d8c315c86.html

Curious, since it will be handled near the end, is this sign just coming down given 3/4 of it is make-believe anyways...

https://goo.gl/maps/c6YrUsM1DV5379Tq7

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 12, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
I'm glad Highway 128 is getting rid of its goofy exit sequence, where the exit sequence started at 9 instead of 1. One oddity I have noticed along the route is the eastbound at-grade intersection at Wayside Dr. between Exits 43 and 44 (old 22 and 21). I don't suppose there are any plans to eliminate that at-grade intersection, but I do wonder why it exists, given that the Trask Ln. jug-handle interchange is just east of it.
To my knowledge, there's no plans to eliminate any at-grade intersections along 128.

Quote from: SectorZ on February 12, 2021, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 12, 2021, 11:46:28 AM

Curious, since it will be handled near the end, is this sign just coming down given 3/4 of it is make-believe anyways...

It is my understanding that particular sign is ultimately slated to be removed.  Whether such will occur during the conversion of 128's numbers or sometime later is not known.  Such is the last remaining sign that gives hint of the intersection Exits 10 (MA 127) & 9 (MA 127A).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

I can't remember many center-tab exit signs in Mass anymore except almost all for Endicott St. and one for 114 on 128; with the new exit number overlays, it will be weird having the new exit numbers on center-tab signs.  (How they have escaped for so long is really something.)  Are there others I can't think of?  It seems like 90s-early 2000s sign replacements would have caught them all, but the ones at these exits on 128 have managed to survive.

They can't help but have the driveway for the cemetery just before the Danvers line on the northbound side.  The side street at Folly Hill is one way off of 128 now and while it probably could be closed off, it doesn't present a weave with the RIRO at Exit 21 and probably isn't that worth it to do much with--it does provide a second access to the neighborhood in the event that Exit 21 is blocked.

fwydriver405

On the February 9th email that was issued... I noticed another typo on the I-95 portion of the email:

QuoteInterstate 95 
Start date: Feb 21
I-95 will be broken up into four segments 
Between the NH Border and Route 120

I think they meant Route 128... initially re-reading the email I was thinking "I don't remember there being a "Route 120" on that stretch of I-95".

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2021, 05:18:07 PM
It is my understanding that particular sign is ultimately slated to be removed.  Whether such will occur during the conversion of 128's numbers or sometime later is not known.  Such is the last remaining sign that gives hint of the intersection Exits 10 (MA 127) & 9 (MA 127A).
[/quote]

This sign will be removed as part of the exit renumbering.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

5foot14

So exit renumbering has made it as far south as exit 20 on 128 this morning.  Seems like they're moving at breakneck speed on 128.

SM-A515U

Pete from Boston

Are there plans to replace exit gore signs where the contractor seems to have had to use substandard exit number sizes to fit new, longer exit numbers? I've seen this in a couple of locations so far, off the top of my head at 117 on the Mass Pike.

bob7374

Quote from: 5foot14 on February 15, 2021, 07:18:18 AM
So exit renumbering has made it as far south as exit 20 on 128 this morning.  Seems like they're moving at breakneck speed on 128.

SM-A515U
The schedule (planning to start I-95 next Sunday, 2/21) implies that they would need to do 4-5 exits a night. In two nights (there was no reported work last night according to Waze), they have completed 9 exits heading south, so they are on pace. Unless there is a significant weather delay, at that rate they should complete the work by this Friday.

P.S. Could I post your photos on my Exit Renumbering site, with proper credit?

5foot14

I've been thinking about this and it's really not surprising the speed they are moving at. This stretch of 128 has few supplemental signs, and no services signs that i can think of that would need conversion. At exit 24 southbound for instance, there is only an 'exit now' and a gore sign that needs changing.

SM-A515U

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 12, 2021, 10:33:52 PM
I can't remember many center-tab exit signs in Mass anymore except almost all for Endicott St. and one for 114 on 128; with the new exit number overlays, it will be weird having the new exit numbers on center-tab signs.  (How they have escaped for so long is really something.)  Are there others I can't think of?  It seems like 90s-early 2000s sign replacements would have caught them all, but the ones at these exits on 128 have managed to survive.
Truth be told, those two signs are newer than one would believe.  Such were separate match-in-kind replacements for the original mid-70s vintage signs that were damaged and/or vandalized.  Ironically, both were erected when center-tab exit signs were long since phased out of MassDPW/Highway/DOT specs. 

Personally, I'm more surprised that a replacement southbound advance sign for Endicott St. was never erected.  One would've thought a further advance sign for the exit would've been provided when the MA 35 interchange was reconfigured several years ago.  IMHO, there should also be a better advance sign for the MA 114 interchange is warranted as well.

If MassDOT was following true MUTCD criteria for mile-marker-based interchange numbering; such would be Exit 43 A.  The stretch from Danvers (Endicott St.) to Wenham (Grapevine Rd.) veers off the reservation, so to speak, all in the name of avoiding alphabet soup assignments for separate interchanges.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Ghostbuster

Maybe when Interstate 95 in Massachusetts gets new exit numbers, they can also renumber the exits along 95 in Rhode Island as well. IMO, 95 in Rhode Island's exits should have been converted to mileage-based as well by now.

kramie13

The contractors probably worked their butts off on Sunday night because they almost certainly didn't work on Monday night due to inclement weather.  And with more snow in the forecast Thursday night, it's not realistic that standalone 128 will be fully converted by February 21.  Perhaps the southbound direction will be complete by then.

shadyjay

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 15, 2021, 09:37:10 PM
Maybe when Interstate 95 in Massachusetts gets new exit numbers, they can also renumber the exits along 95 in Rhode Island as well. IMO, 95 in Rhode Island's exits should have been converted to mileage-based as well by now.

RI's conversion of I-95 went out to bid recently, I believe.  Haven't been able to find any more updated info on the RIDOT site.

bob7374

Quote from: kramie13 on February 16, 2021, 08:56:22 PM
The contractors probably worked their butts off on Sunday night because they almost certainly didn't work on Monday night due to inclement weather.  And with more snow in the forecast Thursday night, it's not realistic that standalone 128 will be fully converted by February 21.  Perhaps the southbound direction will be complete by then.
The contractors didn't work Sunday or Monday nights. They are back tonight working in the Danvers area. Given the forecast for snow Thursday night, they should complete the southbound work, but may not even start work northbound, yet alone complete it to allow for the I-95 work to begin on schedule next Sunday night.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 15, 2021, 05:51:28 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on February 12, 2021, 10:33:52 PM
Truth be told, those two signs are newer than one would believe.  Such were separate match-in-kind replacements for the original mid-70s vintage signs that were damaged and/or vandalized.  Ironically, both were erected when center-tab exit signs were long since phased out of MassDPW/Highway/DOT specs. 

Personally, I'm more surprised that a replacement southbound advance sign for Endicott St. was never erected.  One would've thought a further advance sign for the exit would've been provided when the MA 35 interchange was reconfigured several years ago.  IMHO, there should also be a better advance sign for the MA 114 interchange is warranted as well.

I could have sworn as much but then thought no, there is no way that they did that--but I should have known better.  The first sign for 114 southbound is still the old-fashioned type without exit number and could have been made with exit number but was made as a complete carbon copy as well; I should have realized it.  It is totally Mass to do something like that.

I remember maybe around 1990 a couple signs on Route 1 northbound approaching 114 just into Danvers that completely faithful carbon copy signs were made replacing pretty old ones from the 70s for the 114 exits with small rectangular shields but they only lasted a little while before being replaced with the current overhead signs.  The carbon copies, near the Hardcover restaurant, were one above the other for eastbound and westbound 114.  It seems that one-off carbon-copy replacements give wacky replacements.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 16, 2021, 11:59:12 PM
The first sign for 114 southbound is still the old-fashioned type without exit number and could have been made with exit number but was made as a complete carbon copy as well; I should have realized it.  It is totally Mass to do something like that.
Such was indeed a match-in-kind replacement for the original 70s vintage version that was likely damaged in an accident sometime during the 90s or early 2000s(?).

Personally, I'm surprised a WEST legend wasn't added to this sign or its predecessor sign when the exit number changed from Exit 25W to Exit 25B.  Personally, I would reposition that 114 shield to the left and apply the direction cardinal to the right of the shield.  There's plenty of room on the panel for such a mod.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 17, 2021, 10:24:55 AM

Personally, I'm surprised a WEST legend wasn't added to this sign or its predecessor sign when the exit number changed from Exit 25W to Exit 25B.  Personally, I would reposition that 114 shield to the left and apply the direction cardinal to the right of the shield.  There's plenty of room on the panel for such a mod.

I'm surprised they didn't either, however it's moot now since this signs days are numbered. With the ongoing bridge replacement project over the Waters River and the addition of sound barriers on both sides of 128, there won't be room for this sign to exist much longer. As of right now it's temporarily mounted to wooden supports and they deliberately left a gap in the sound wall since it's too wide. I think replacement with a modern overhead is pretty much guaranteed.

SM-A515U

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on February 17, 2021, 11:17:32 AM

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 17, 2021, 10:24:55 AM

I'm surprised they didn't either, however it's moot now since this signs days are numbered. With the ongoing bridge replacement project over the Waters River and the addition of sound barriers on both sides of 128, there won't be room for this sign to exist much longer. As of right now it's temporarily mounted to wooden supports and they deliberately left a gap in the sound wall since it's too wide. I think replacement with a modern overhead is pretty much guaranteed.

SM-A515U

What mystified me at the time that they changed 114 to A-B was that the A and B were in the wrong order (it went 24, 25B, 25A, 26) but hopefully they will leave the A and B where they are when they renumber!  At route 1A, A became B and B became A because of the numbers now decreasing instead of increasing going south, but hopefully the A and B aren't just blindly swapped at 114 because they were swapped at 1A.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.