News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

I've posted more photos of exit renumbering along the current route of I-95. Here NB approaching I-93 (MA 128) in Canton:

The rest of the new photos taken NB between MA 140 and I-93 yesterday are at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i95signs3

SkyPesos

Is the lack of separation between the exit tab and the main panel in some of the pics intentional?

shadyjay

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 30, 2021, 12:12:53 AM
Is the lack of separation between the exit tab and the main panel in some of the pics intentional?

Yup, that was MassHighway standard practice on signs in the 1990s. 

fwydriver405

Quote from: shadyjay on April 30, 2021, 07:13:35 AM

I believe MaineDOT and RIDOT also used this design with their older signs. Is there a name for this kind of style? I wonder why the three states chose to use this exit tab design at one point.

storm2k

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 30, 2021, 09:20:41 AM

I believe MaineDOT and RIDOT also used this design with their older signs. Is there a name for this kind of style? I wonder why the three states chose to use this exit tab design at one point.

Don't think it has an official name. PA used to do that in older signing from the 70s. You can see where there's a break in the outline of this old picture from PA Highways where the old center tab where there isn't a bottom border:

SkyPesos

I just call it the exit tab without a bottom border. I don't really like that style, but it seems like Massachusetts now go with a similar style as Wisconsin and Michigan for exit tabs, which is my second preferred. Even the left exit tabs that I thought were exclusive to Michigan, with the left banner stretching the whole length above the tab, is used in Massachusetts.

PurdueBill

This old thread had some discussion of the Massachusetts "integral" tabs; many other states beside those mentioned already had at least some signs like them.  Ohio, for example, had a few scattered around (pics on Steve's site); Steve's site also has I-70 Colorado pics from Michael Summa from long ago with some of the same type--note that in both of those states, not all signs had that design; it seemed to depend on the contractor or designer.  Mass hung on to the style well after everyone else had stopped using it. 

machias

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 30, 2021, 12:12:51 PM
This old thread had some discussion of the Massachusetts "integral" tabs; many other states beside those mentioned already had at least some signs like them.  Ohio, for example, had a few scattered around (pics on Steve's site); Steve's site also has I-70 Colorado pics from Michael Summa from long ago with some of the same type--note that in both of those states, not all signs had that design; it seemed to depend on the contractor or designer.  Mass hung on to the style well after everyone else had stopped using it. 

I always liked the design on Massachusetts integrated exit tabs, especially when they were centered on the sign. They must have started that in the 70s, as older signs seemed to have a separate tab mounted slightly above the main panel.

Pennsylvania and South Carolina had the centered integral tabs as well, in fact, I remember driving through SC in the late 90s and seeing the integral tabs on I-85 relocated to the right side of the panel, but with the border not matching anymore.

roadman

Use of this 'integral tab' design actually started in the late 1970s in response to the MUTCD change in exit tab height from 18 inches to 24 inches.  Citing potential issues with mounting the larger exit tabs onto existing support structures, MassDPW came up with their 'integral tab' design, which received the blessing of the FHWA regional office.  By omitting a portion of the top sign border and overlapping the exit numeral onto the main sign panel, they were able to keep the tab height at 18 inches, while allowing for a 15 inch numeral.  This design was in use until 2004, when the MUTCD exit tab height was increased to 30 inches.  Besides not meeting current height requirements, the 'integral tab' design was more complex to fabricate and install due to the 'missing' top border, and took time to correct if a sign were fabricated improperly (i.e. tab for left-hand exit placed on the right side of the sign, which happened at at least three locations I am personally aware of).  Starting in 2004, MassHighway formally changed their BGS design standards to require a fully separate exit tab of 30 inches high by variable width.  The only difference between the MassHighway/MassDOT full exit tab and the MUTCD is that the MassDOT design omits the bottom border on the exit tab, and squares off the upper right corner of the border on the main sign, instead of using a full border on the exit tab.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 30, 2021, 11:27:53 AM

I just call it the exit tab without a bottom border. I don't really like that style, but it seems like Massachusetts now go with a similar style as Wisconsin and Michigan for exit tabs, which is my second preferred. Even the left exit tabs that I thought were exclusive to Michigan, with the left banner stretching the whole length above the tab, is used in Massachusetts.

MassHighway originally developed the 'full width' separate LEFT tab option, which Michigan later copied.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Update from MassDOT on I-93 exit renumbering:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/statewide-exit-renumbering-work-update/

To summarize: Work was completed NB between former Exits 13 and 27 (now 13A to 19) on Tuesday night. Work was completed in the O'Neill Tunnel SB last night, and the remaining SB work to Exit 15, Columbia Road (soon to be 14) is to be completed tonight. Work north of Boston will start next Monday night. I hope to get some photos tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a traffic camera photo of the renumbered I-90/Mass Pike exit sign heading north:

A couple others at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on May 06, 2021, 10:19:59 PM
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/statewide-exit-renumbering-work-update/

To summarize: Work was completed NB between former Exits 13 and 27 (now 13A to 19) on Tuesday night. Work was completed in the O'Neill Tunnel SB last night, and the remaining SB work to Exit 15, Columbia Road (soon to be 14) is to be completed tonight. Work north of Boston will start next Monday night. I hope to get some photos tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a traffic camera photo of the renumbered I-90/Mass Pike exit sign heading north:

A couple others at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos
college me is jumping for joy that exits don't go from 16 to 26 in half a mile anymore

fwydriver405

On I-93 NB, will the "NO EXIT 19 / 17" signs be removed, unlike some of the Next Exit signs that remained even after the remumbering?

SectorZ

Quote from: fwydriver405 on May 07, 2021, 01:11:46 AM

On I-93 NB, will the "NO EXIT 19 / 17" signs be removed, unlike some of the Next Exit signs that remained even after the remumbering?

I fear they will. In the midst of the I-495 sign project around Lowell, they actually put up brand new signs a few weeks ago between exits 35 and 37, with the old number plastered over the new number underneath.

kramie13

I just got an email from MassDOT.  I-495 renumbering will begin on May 16.

Like I-95, the renumbering will occur in 4 segments, but for some reason, the renumbering will move from south to north on this highway.

1st segment: Old exit 3 (Rte. 28) in Middleboro to old exit 13 (I-95) in Mansfield.
2nd segment: Old exit 14 (US. 1) in Plainville to old exit 22 (I-90/Mass. Pike) in Hopkinton.
3rd segment: Old exit 23 (Rte. 9) in Westborough to old exits 35A-B-C (Rte. 3/Lowell Connector) in Chelmsford
4th segment: Old exit 37 (Woburn St) in Lowell to old exit 55 (Rte. 110) in Amesbury

This will certainly create confusion for long-stretch drivers in both directions, as you'll have two exit 19s in both directions for a time, and even two exit 50s!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kramie13 on May 07, 2021, 10:15:48 AM

Like I-95, the renumbering will occur in 4 segments, but for some reason, the renumbering will move from south to north on this highway.

1st segment: Old exit 3 (Rte. 28) in Middleboro to old exit 13 (I-95) in Mansfield.
2nd segment: Old exit 14 (US. 1) in Plainville to old exit 22 (I-90/Mass. Pike) in Hopkinton.
3rd segment: Old exit 23 (Rte. 9) in Westborough to old exits 35A-B-C (Rte. 3/Lowell Connector) in Chelmsford
4th segment: Old exit 37 (Woburn St) in Lowell to old exit 55 (Rte. 110) in Amesbury

This will certainly create confusion for long-stretch drivers in both directions, as you'll have two exit 19s in both directions for a time, and even two exit 50s!
They should cover up the numbers and reveal it all at once.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Pete from Boston

Now, I realize that 90% of the people that care about this at all are probably reading this thread, but still, how hard is it for a contractor to put the same typeface on adjoining exit tabs? This hack work is all over the re-numbered highways.

SectorZ

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 07, 2021, 04:02:37 PM
Now, I realize that 90% of the people that care about this at all are probably reading this thread, but still, how hard is it for a contractor to put the same typeface on adjoining exit tabs? This hack work is all over the re-numbered highways.

I'm surprised they don't have the letters falling off the edge of the tab so people don't pull the "uh-oh what's exit 138" thing that they think is a problem.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 11:50:56 AM

That... what? You're going to put up two overlays and come back with more lane closures, vehicles, and personnel to remove one? Go ahead and pay for that out of pocket.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on May 07, 2021, 05:40:04 PM

That... what? You're going to put up two overlays and come back with more lane closures, vehicles, and personnel to remove one? Go ahead and pay for that out of pocket.
Mixing sequential and mileage-based exits is a recipe for mass confusion.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman

The NO EXIT signs will be removed.  The NEXT EXIT signs are supposed to be removed as well.

SkyPesos

It seems like the signs were replaced not that long ago. Why did the sign replacement not get scheduled to coincide with the exit renumbering?

roadman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 05:44:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 07, 2021, 05:40:04 PM

Mixing sequential and mileage-based exits is a recipe for mass confusion.

Hasn't been an issue during the renumbering project so far.  For one thing, in the rare instances where the 'overlap' results in duplicate numbers along the highway, the exits are very far apart.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on May 07, 2021, 05:55:52 PM

The NO EXIT signs will be removed.  The NEXT EXIT signs are supposed to be removed as well.
Drove on I-93 North today (photos will be posted soon). The No Exit signs have been removed in that direction. I did not have a chance to check whether the Next Exit 12 on I-93 South was removed as well.

Alps

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 07, 2021, 07:25:04 PM

It seems like the signs were replaced not that long ago. Why did the sign replacement not get scheduled to coincide with the exit renumbering?
because they weren't ready for exit renumbering then

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.