News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Future of I-72 in Missouri?

Started by jhuntin1, December 11, 2014, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Here is the original AASHTO report on US-36 in 1991.

Here are the revisions made in 1996 by AASHTO

edwaleni

CHILLICOTHE SENATOR SKEPTICAL ABOUT POSSIBLY CONVERTING U.S. HIGHWAY 36 INTO INTERSTATE 72

https://www.missourinet.com/2023/06/08/chillicothe-senator-skeptical-about-possibly-converting-u-s-highway-36-into-interstate-72/
by Anthony Morabith | Jun 8, 2023 | Legislature, News, Politics / Govt, Transportation

A budget item that awaits a decision from Gov. Mike Parson focuses on highway infrastructure. If approved, a $2.5 million engineering study would determine the worth of turning U.S. Highway 36 into Interstate 72 in Missouri.

Sen. Rusty Black, R-Chillicothe, said that he supports the study.

"There are people on both sides of that issue that I represent that nothing would make them happier for transportation, for they believe bringing people to our area, for tourism, etc. than having Interstate 72 go completely across the northern part of our state,"  he said.

However, Black is concerned for the farmers in his district who cross the highway to transport their farm equipment from one field to another.

"There are other people that move agricultural products, equipment, etc. through this monstrous corn/soybean belt up here that are going to be upset if the limited access makes it very, very difficult for them to perform their daily operation of farming/producing the food that has produced in our area."  he explained.

The upside to converting into an interstate is that it could relieve traffic on I-70 when it's being widened. If Missouri gets to a point where it does decide to convert the highway, he speculates it will be more than a decade down the road.

"Looking at things today, not being able to see what's in the future, my guess is, priority wise, with the amount of commerce that goes across I-70, it's going to be first,"  according to Sen. Black. "Some people putting numbers in front of me (say) that there's more commerce travel on I-44 than there is I-70. My guess is I-44 would be next."

U.S. Highway 36 runs from St. Joseph to Hannibal, where Interstate 72 dead ends.

edwaleni

Quincy Herald-Whig in 2017.

https://www.whig.com/archive/article/i-72-expansion-near-hannibal-on-hold-for-now/article_fdd17617-ac65-5b75-ac6f-fece25542660.html

The Missouri Department of Transportation's request that interstate status along I-72/U.S. 36 be extended from Hannibal to the junction with U.S. 24 has been denied -- for now.

The Federal Highway Administration recently cited rules that would prevent it from terminating an interstate highway at the junction most people identify with the Rocket truck stop. Interstates almost always hook up with other interstates, and U.S. 24 doesn't qualify.

There's a little irony in that decision, because I-72 crosses the I-72 Mark Twain Bridge at Hannibal and then connects with U.S. 61, which is not an interstate.

However, U.S. 61 was the best alternative available when the Mark Twain Bridge opened in September 2000.

I-72 crosses Illinois and was completed in 1991. However, there was no hope at that time of considering the old Mark Twain Memorial Bridge an interstate structure. The 1936-era bridge only had two narrow lanes.

But by the time the new bridge was completed, Hannibal had a new entryway that was designed to meet interstate standards. It had no at-grade crossings, wide lanes, medians and shoulders, was designed for higher speeds and had sloping pavement to shed rain water.

With a new bridge that met interstate standards, the Federal Highway Administration agreed to allow I-72 designation to U.S. 61, about 1.75 miles west of the bridge.

Last September, the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission formally requested -- on behalf of the Hannibal community -- that I-72 be extended another 6 miles west to the U.S. 24 junction. Hannibal businessman Tom Boland, a former chairman of the commission, said the interstate designation would help highlight the highway's general design and could prove helpful for the city's economic development efforts.

Thomas A. Oakley of the Tri-State Development Summit's steering committee showed aerial photos of the highway to the commission as it met in Hannibal on Sept. 1.

"There is substantial vacant ground on both sides of the highway for restaurants, additional motels, retail, manufacturing, distribution, hospital and clinic expansion, as well as the newly approved certified industrial park," Oakley said.

Kevin James, assistant district engineer for the MoDOT's Northeast District, said the denial letter was fairly short. It didn't help that there are no long-range plans for upgrading U.S. 36 from expressway standards to interstate standards.

It would be costly to create overpasses and interchanges at numerous crossroads along U.S. 36. Many of the smaller bridges don't have shoulders, and a few other design features would have to be addressed.

There is some hope that the interstate designation might be granted to the U.S. 24 junction if the Hannibal Expressway route gets completed from the Rocket to a junction with U.S. 61 to the south of Hannibal. A 2007 study on the expressway estimated costs of the project at $38 million.

The Hannibal Expressway is seen as a safety issue. Hundreds of heavy trucks pass along the Avenue of the Saints, and Hannibal has seven sets of traffic signals. There are only two other traffic signals along the entire 580-mile length of the highway that links St. Louis to St. Paul, Minn.

"A lot of our stakeholders want the interstate status," James said.

When other road improvements occur, the six-mile expansion of I-72 might win federal approval.

mvak36

It would have been nice if the study for the Hannibal bypass would have been approved but that was also vetoed by the governor.

https://documents.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/rpt/HB19vl.pdf
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sprjus4

Quote from: edwaleni on July 28, 2023, 01:40:33 AM

https://www.whig.com/archive/article/i-72-expansion-near-hannibal-on-hold-for-now/article_fdd17617-ac65-5b75-ac6f-fece25542660.html

The Missouri Department of Transportation's request that interstate status along I-72/U.S. 36 be extended from Hannibal to the junction with U.S. 24 has been denied -- for now.

The Federal Highway Administration recently cited rules that would prevent it from terminating an interstate highway at the junction most people identify with the Rocket truck stop. Interstates almost always hook up with other interstates, and U.S. 24 doesn't qualify.
This does not make any logical sense. The FHWA allows interstate highways to connect with logical termini, and US-24, being a US highway, is a logical terminus. I-72 does connect with an interstate highway in the eastern half, both with I-55 and I-57.

Sapphuby

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2023, 10:01:09 AM

This does not make any logical sense. The FHWA allows interstate highways to connect with logical termini, and US-24, being a US highway, is a logical terminus. I-72 does connect with an interstate highway in the eastern half, both with I-55 and I-57.

My main argument would be, "What's the more logical terminus, US 61 or US 24?" Thinking about it, would it really make sense to slap shields and exit numbers for 6 miles to an exit out in the middle of nowhere, or would it make more sense to not do all of that and instead end it inside of a town? I-72 connects with I-55 and I-57 in the east, but it connects nowhere in the west, which was why I-35 was the plan from the start, but they're not getting there anytime soon, so might as well pick the best spot. And besides, US 61 bisects the interstate, while US 24 serves its purpose by joining the expressway westward and splitting eastward compass North. US 61 is also a major thoroughfare for cities like the Quad Cities, St. Louis, and it carries the Avenue of the Saints, which channels drivers to St. Paul, and it carries a lot of truck traffic. US 24 arguably doesn't do a lot in that department. It goes to Quincy, and so does I-172. Now if the Hannibal Bypass was finished, then yes, end I-72 over at the bypass. That's where the traffic flow is.

DJStephens

There is some hope that the interstate designation might be granted to (US 36), W to the U.S. 24 junction if the Hannibal Expressway route gets completed from the Rocket to a junction with U.S. 61 to the south of Hannibal. A 2007 study on the expressway estimated costs of the project at $38 million.
The Hannibal Expressway is seen as a safety issue. Hundreds of heavy trucks pass along the Avenue of the Saints, and Hannibal has seven sets of traffic signals. There are only two other traffic signals along the entire 580-mile length of the highway that links St. Louis to St. Paul, Minn.
"A lot of our stakeholders want the interstate status," James said.  When other road improvements occur, the six-mile expansion of I-72 might win federal approval.

The rejection of the application might tie into current political climates, the absurdity of it all, and the current transportation secretary, the former South Bend mayor.   Am guessing the "Hannibal Expressway" refers to the proposed US 61 bypass of Hannibal.  Only nine traffic lights on the entire "Avenue of the Saints" the article stated.  Now is that correct?  Was under impression that while large parts of AotS are four laned, not a great deal is Interstate grade.  Any truth to that statement, about the two signals outside of Hannibal?   

mvak36

Quote from: DJStephens on July 28, 2023, 10:27:23 AM
There is some hope that the interstate designation might be granted to (US 36), W to the U.S. 24 junction if the Hannibal Expressway route gets completed from the Rocket to a junction with U.S. 61 to the south of Hannibal. A 2007 study on the expressway estimated costs of the project at $38 million.
"A lot of our stakeholders want the interstate status," James said.  When other road improvements occur, the six-mile expansion of I-72 might win federal approval.

The rejection of the application might tie into current political climates, the absurdity of it all, and the current transportation secretary, the former South Bend mayor.   Am guessing the "Hannibal Expressway" refers to the proposed US 61 bypass of Hannibal.  Only nine traffic lights on the entire "Avenue of the Saints" the article stated.  Now is that correct?  Was under impression that while large parts of AotS are four laned, not a great deal is Interstate grade.  Any truth to that statement, about the two signals outside of Hannibal?

I remember the 2 in Cameron (at the I-35 interchange and the intersection just to the east of it). I haven't been on the road in about 6 years though so I can't remember if there were any more.

edwaleni

Quote from: mvak36 on July 28, 2023, 10:43:13 AM

I remember the 2 in Cameron (at the I-35 interchange and the intersection just to the east of it). I haven't been on the road in about 6 years though so I can't remember if there were any more.

I think they were talking about the number of traffic lights on the entire Avenue of the Saints. If there are two, I can't find them in Missouri or Iowa where parts of the route are non-interstate.

I don't think these decisions are being driven by anyone in the Beltway, but strictly from the state house in Jeff City.

I feel like the need to improve I-70 is probably sucking the wind out of some other projects. It's a big deal financially for Missouri.

Sapphuby

Only one I can even think of is the overhead lights at the B/E intersection with US 61 north of Troy. I'm not even sure if that counts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: edwaleni on July 28, 2023, 12:03:12 PM

I think they were talking about the number of traffic lights on the entire Avenue of the Saints. If there are two, I can't find them in Missouri or Iowa where parts of the route are non-interstate.
The two are north of US 20 in Cedar Falls.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

edwaleni

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 28, 2023, 07:27:23 PM

The two are north of US 20 in Cedar Falls.

Thanks, Viking Road and Greenhill Road in Cedar Falls.

mvak36

I don't think these decisions are being driven by anyone in the Beltway, but strictly from the state house in Jeff City.

I feel like the need to improve I-70 is probably sucking the wind out of some other projects. It's a big deal financially for Missouri.

That is my bad. I had a total brain fart on that one. :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.