Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)

(1/29) > >>

seicer:
Proposed route: Map, between OH 7 at Fairland East Elementary School and WV 193.

Lawrence County, Barboursville connector bridge study to happen

A feasibility study for a bridge connecting State Route 7 in Rome Township to the Merrit’s Creek connector and West Virginia State Route 2 will officially take place.

At Tuesday’s commission meeting, which took place at the Tri-State STEM+M School, the commission agreed to join with Cabell County, West Virginia, the city of Barboursville, West Virginia and KYOVA Regional Interstate Planning Commission in funding the study, which is proposed to cost $250,000, county auditor Jason Stephens said.

“This is something that we’ve talked about for years and years and years,” Stephens said. “The two roads directly line up with each other across the Ohio River, and this could ultimately lead to an outer belt.”

SP Cook:
This idea has been around for a long time.  If you combine such a bridge with completion of the long delayed OH 7 from the 5th St. Bridge to the 31st St. Bridge, you have something of a poor man's beltway comprised of WV 193 - OH 7 - US 52 - and I-64 for Huntington, or by yet more extension, this plus  52 and a completed Industrial Parkway in KY for the whole Tri-State region. 

Current politics in both OH and WV say that such a bridge is a longshot.

hbelkins:
Saw this earlier in the week. I noticed several years ago that the end of the reconstructed OH 7 lines up perfectly with the end of WV 193, and thought that this would be a great location for a bridge.

Before WV 193 was built, if I was traveling south on WV 2, instead of going on into Huntington to make a connection with I-64, I crossed the new eastern bridge, and used OH 7 and US 52 to connect with I-64. It was easier than dealing with all the traffic lights on WV 2 and US 60, or going on through downtown and using WV 10 to reach the interstate.

Buck87:
If they ever do this it'll be interesting to see how it gets routed and what would get eminent domained. Looks like there's a WV airfield and an OH elementary school that are pretty much in the way for a straight on shot.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: Buck87 on March 09, 2018, 09:40:26 PM ---If they ever do this it'll be interesting to see how it gets routed and what would get eminent domained. Looks like there's a WV airfield and an OH elementary school that are pretty much in the way for a straight on shot.

--- End quote ---

Eyeballing Google aerial and streetview images of that area, it looks to me like the grade school in Ohio is far enough south so as to not be in the way.  OTOH, in West Virginia, that little private airstrip would go bye-bye and a new site would have to be found for that small industrial plant across WV 2 from the end of WV 193.

Speaking of that area, what is the current prognosis for that uncompleted gap in OH 7 across the river from Huntington, WV?

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version