News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware & Maryland Questions

Started by D-Dey65, January 19, 2010, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I have some questions about Delaware and Maryland;

1)Evidently some drivers in Delaware are allowed to have old smaller black license plates. Just who can drive with them? They're obviously not meant for antique cars, because I've seen them on some fairly recent vehicles.

2)Apparently, Maryland DOT plans to rebuild the Maryland House. Does this mean the following sign will be torn down?

3)A lot of highway signs on I-95 direct motorists to MARC and Washington Metrorail stations. Should a similar sign exist on Sagtikos State Parkway for Deer Park Station, as well as on any other expressways and parkways that are close to railroad stations?

4)Why are there small "Turn Lane" signs at every left turn lane on US 13? Does Delaware DOT think drivers won't know one when they see one?

I'll ask others when I think of them.

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 19, 2010, 08:51:44 PM
I have some questions about Delaware and Maryland;

1)Evidently some drivers in Delaware are allowed to have old smaller black license plates. Just who can drive with them? They're obviously not meant for antique cars, because I've seen them on some fairly recent vehicles.

Anyone owning a tag number lower than 87,000 or commercial tag number of c9999 or lower may display the black and white tag on their vehicle.

More info can be found here:
https://www.aaroads.com/delaware/license_plates.htm
http://www.dhptags.com/

Looks like the Delaware Historic Plate Company is now authorized to replicate black stainless steel license plates up to tag number 200,000 as well...

corco

That explains a lot- there's been one of those smaller black Delaware plates cruising around Laramie, Wyoming recently (on a mid-2000s Honda Civic!), and I always wondered what that was all about

froggie

A lot of it has to do with Delaware vehicle tags being registered to the owner, and being transferrable.  As Alex can attest, the really low numbers are a hot commodity, often fetching thousands of dollars at auction.

Alps

#2 - depends on whether signage is included in the contract
#3 - yes, signs SHOULD exist in reasonable proximity to train stations, but only a few corridors do this consistently (also see I-95 CT)
#4 - I sorta agree with you, but late at night there are no lights in Delaware, so that's your only advance warning when your turn is coming.

D-Dey65

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 20, 2010, 08:29:19 PM
I hope not. That's a nice one, and it's button copy too. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I took it in May 2008. This should be added on the I-95 in Maryland page.

#3 - yes, signs SHOULD exist in reasonable proximity to train stations, but only a few corridors do this consistently (also see I-95 CT)
I-95 has that in Connecticut? Sheesh! This is what I get for not being there since the early-1980's and only knowing what I know about the state from TV new signals from across the Long Island Sound.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 21, 2010, 07:27:14 AM
I hope not. That's a nice one, and it's button copy too. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I took it in May 2008. This should be added on the I-95 in Maryland page.
I'm not AARoads... and if you're referring to my site, a) you never submitted it to me and b) I'd need much better photo quality.

Ian

DelDOT installs those "TURN LANE" signs on all divided at-grade highways in Delaware. I guess they are meant for those who may get confused as the new lane as an added thru lane.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 21, 2010, 07:25:48 PM
I'm not AARoads... and if you're referring to my site, a) you never submitted it to me and b) I'd need much better photo quality.
I didn't say you were. I just said it should be added to the site, considering it's such a unique sign.

For the record, I might have a close-up somewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.