Regional Boards > Northwest

Alaska

<< < (13/16) > >>

Plutonic Panda:
This isnít necessarily road related but isnít mass transit either. Still, this worthy of a mention as a 1,600 rail line will be built from Alaska to the US. Iím not sure if the entire rail line will have to be constructed or it already exists for the most part and only needing a permit to cross the border. Either way, this seems like a pretty big deal.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/09/26/trump-tweets-intent-to-issue-permit-for-rail-line-connecting-alaska-to-canada-and-rest-of-us/

oscar:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 28, 2020, 07:16:54 PM ---This isnít necessarily road related but isnít mass transit either. Still, this worthy of a mention as a 1,600 rail line will be built from Alaska to the US. Iím not sure if the entire rail line will have to be constructed or it already exists for the most part and only needing a permit to cross the border. Either way, this seems like a pretty big deal.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/09/26/trump-tweets-intent-to-issue-permit-for-rail-line-connecting-alaska-to-canada-and-rest-of-us/

--- End quote ---

Most of it is unbuilt, including all of the Yukon segment, everything in Alaska east of Delta Junction, and everything in British Columbia northwest of Dease Lake. There is some partially developed right of way between Fairbanks and Delta Junction, and southeast of Dease Lake, but no tracks.

As the linked article notes, one possible use of the new rail line is for the export of oil from Alberta's oil sands. Especially given the history of the planned Keystone pipeline from Alberta to Texas, this is guaranteed to stir up intense controversy.

zzcarp:
This CBC article gives more information about the routing:

--- Quote ---The project would build a new rail line from Fort McMurray, Alta., through the Northwest Territories and Yukon to the Delta Junction in Alaska, where it will connect with existing rail and continue on to ports near Anchorage.
--- End quote ---

Googling from that article, I found a website a2arail.com where they have maps of the proposed routes. Looks like it will avoid Whitehorse entirely and also cut a new terrain route along the BC/NW Territories border and through Alberta to Ft. McMurray.

vdeane:
I wonder what the potential for Amtrak service would be if this gets done.  I could see Canada pushing for an auto train running between Alaska and the rest of the US "just in case", given their recent experiences with the Alaska exemption to their ban on non-essential border crossings - especially since the experts consider another pandemic to be a matter of when not if.

Aside from that, I also remember when the lack of a rail connection between Alaska and the rest of the continent was cited as a challenge for a Bering Strait rail tunnel.

Alps:
It's going to take more than 4 days to get to Anchorage by rail, why is it a benefit to be 4 days closer to Asia...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version