News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alaska

Started by Bickendan, May 22, 2018, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Eesh.  Funding is sketchy on this one all around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Kniwt

The Anchorage Daily News reports that conflicts are escalating over plans to upgrade an interchange on the Seward Highway (AK 1) at Scooter Avenue and Academy Drive.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2019/11/18/anchorage-assembly-members-at-odds-with-state-over-road-project/

QuoteSome Anchorage Assembly members are trying to foil a portion of a state highway project nearly 20 years in the making, saying it's a waste of public dollars.

After feeling strong-armed by Alaska Department of Transportation officials, the Assembly members say they are appealing their case to local legislators and have even entertained the idea of building a barricade to thwart the state's efforts.

Assemblyman Forrest Dunbar plans to introduce amendments at Tuesday night's Assembly meeting that could remove initial funding for the project from the proposed bond.

The transportation department wants to connect Academy Drive to Scooter Avenue, south of Dimond Boulevard, by lifting the Seward Highway and building a road underneath. It's part of a larger collection of projects to improve the Seward Highway that have been in the works since the early 2000s.

Project website: http://www.sewardhighway.info

Plutonic Panda

Looking at Anchorage on streetview, they really need to get on the ball upgrading their freeway network.

AK 1 should have a bypass the entire city directly to the east and be a full freeway.

The Hickle Parkway should have a fully directional interchange with AK 1. Some properties will be needed for this but a stack would minimize that.

AK 3 should be upgraded to a fully controlled access facility through Wasilla.

AK 1 south should be a super two with a jersey barrier all the way to homer. I wouldn't necessarily make it entirely grade separated but it should be limited access for the most part.

Alaska should also really try and poise itself for growth and go big by adding a 4 lane interstate road between Fairbanks and Anchorage and connecting Juneau via fully controlled access super two to its highway system.

I am not from Alaska nor have I ever been... yet. Is it fair to say the state is anti-freeway/development or perhaps just won't allocate the funds?

Bruce

The first priority for Alaska is to properly fund its Marine Highway system, which is way more essential for connectivity than upgrading the Anchorage-Fairbanks corridor into a freeway.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bruce on January 20, 2020, 06:36:40 PM
The first priority for Alaska is to properly fund its Marine Highway system, which is way more essential for connectivity than upgrading the Anchorage-Fairbanks corridor into a freeway.
Thanks. I will research the proposals of this system tonight.

Alps

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 20, 2020, 04:55:11 PM
Looking at Anchorage on streetview, they really need to get on the ball upgrading their freeway network.

AK 1 should have a bypass the entire city directly to the east and be a full freeway.

The Hickle Parkway should have a fully directional interchange with AK 1. Some properties will be needed for this but a stack would minimize that.

AK 1 south should be a super two with a jersey barrier all the way to homer. I wouldn't necessarily make it entirely grade separated but it should be limited access for the most part.

Alaska should also really try and poise itself for growth and go big by adding a 4 lane interstate road between Fairbanks and Anchorage and connecting Juneau via fully controlled access super two to its highway system.

I am not from Alaska nor have I ever been... yet. Is it fair to say the state is anti-freeway/development or perhaps just won't allocate the funds?
It would be fair to say the other states don't want to contribute that many unnecessary billions upon billions of dollars for something Alaska can't afford and doesn't need?

Alps

Also, I missed it, but when did Minnesota Drive get renamed?

oscar

Quote from: Alps on January 20, 2020, 08:15:23 PM
Also, I missed it, but when did Minnesota Drive get renamed?

At least the freeway part of Minnesota Dr., and also part or all of O'Malley Rd. west of AK 1, became the Hickel Parkway sometime in 2013 IIRC.

Quote from: Alps on January 20, 2020, 08:13:52 PM

It would be fair to say the other states don't want to contribute that many unnecessary billions upon billions of dollars for something Alaska can't afford and doesn't need?

Agreed. The state isn't anti-highway, though its environmentalists are particularly noisy, and have blocked major projects such as the Juneau Access project that would have shortened (not eliminated) the ferry link to the mainland highway system. Also, while oil prices and revenues are down, and anti-tax politicians are in control, the state just doesn't have money for this stuff.

I think freeway-izing all of AK 3 between Palmer and Fairbanks, and AK 1 down to Homer, would be excessive, especially with the high road construction and maintenance costs in the Arctic, and high earthquake risks in the Anchorage area (which got whacked hard by a 9.2 earthquake in 1964). The other items on the list don't knock my socks off, either.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Alps on January 20, 2020, 08:13:52 PM

Fair point, but what benefits Alaska will ultimately benefit the USA. I am not suggesting that every one of those items should start construction tomorrow. I would prioritize Anchorage first, then connecting Anchorage to Fairbanks better, than upgrading AK 1. The need might not be there today, but the potential is there.

Other countries with climates similar like Norway are able to build sophisticated freeway networks. While that isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison, it shows it can be done. I predict Alaska is a sleeping giant figuratively and literally. If temperatures continue to warm(why do I foresee NE2 responding to this? ;) ) then that will make Alaska even more attractive given its natural beauty and warmer climate.

So far it seems to be the synopsis here is Alaska isn't going anywhere, the odds are against it, therefore it isn't worth investing major infrastructure in. That hasn't stopped the US before.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 20, 2020, 09:25:53 PM
Other countries with climates similar like Norway are able to build sophisticated freeway networks. While that isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison, it shows it can be done. I predict Alaska is a sleeping giant figuratively and literally. If temperatures continue to warm(why do I foresee NE2 responding to this? ;) ) then that will make Alaska even more attractive given its natural beauty and warmer climate.

NE2 typically responds to people who deny global warming. You're on the other side, so you're fine.

I do see an error in your post, though. Let's see if NE2 can find it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2020, 09:37:19 PM

NE2 typically responds to people who deny global warming. You're on the other side, so you're fine.

I do see an error in your post, though. Let's see if NE2 can find it.
I can see the irony in my post so I am sure he will find it!

texaskdog

Well, if it hasn't changed in 30 years, I think we're going to last more than 10.

vdeane

So far it seems to be the synopsis here is Alaska isn't going anywhere, the odds are against it, therefore it isn't worth investing major infrastructure in. That hasn't stopped the US before.
Bear in mind that a warmer Alaska also means more mosquitoes.  And your Anchorage-Fairbanks corridor has an AADT less than 2000 (your proposed super-2 has three times as much traffic!).  I would like the freeway segments in Anchorage to be connected to a coherant system and AK 3 upgraded to a freeway through Wasilla, however.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

what benefits Alaska will ultimately benefit the USA

meh

Perhaps, but what doesn't benefit Alaska will ultimately not benefit the USA.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

they get all that oil money they can afford to pay for it

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on January 21, 2020, 02:48:36 PM

How much money do you have?  I bet you can afford to buy me a new mattress.  What benefits kphoger benefits the USA.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: texaskdog on January 21, 2020, 02:48:36 PM

The state isn't getting enough oil money, with lower oil prices and production. And it hasn't increased taxes (or siphoned money from the oil-funded Permanent Fund, also an unpopular idea) to offset that.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: vdeane on January 21, 2020, 01:13:13 PM

Bear in mind that a warmer Alaska also means more mosquitoes.  And your Anchorage-Fairbanks corridor has an AADT less than 2000 (your proposed super-2 has three times as much traffic!).  I would like the freeway segments in Anchorage to be connected to a coherant system and AK 3 upgraded to a freeway through Wasilla, however.
Interesting. Thank you for the numbers. I suspected the ADT between the two cities was not that high but didn't realize it was under 2000. I suppose they could just go with a super two setup and plan for an eventual four lane widening in the future as the two cities grow. I did not realize AK 1 south of Anchorage sees that much traffic. Just shows how much I know about Alaska but upon looking at it on Google Maps it has the most disjointed freeway network I have ever seen which is to be expected I suppose.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 21, 2020, 04:41:03 PM
I suspected the ADT between the two cities was not that high but didn't realize it was under 2000. I suppose they could just go with a super two setup ...

Why would a highway with less than 2000 ADT need to be a Super 2?

... and plan for an eventual four lane widening in the future as the two cities grow.

The population of the city of Anchorage peaked in 2013 and has been slowly declining since then.

The population of the city of Fairbanks peaked in 1993 and hasn't been above 33k since 1994.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Since nobody figured it out... Alaska isn't literally a sleeping giant.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

neither is Sarah Palin
[/ne2]
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2020, 04:50:02 PM
I suspected the ADT between the two cities was not that high but didn't realize it was under 2000. I suppose they could just go with a super two setup ...

Why would a highway with less than 2000 ADT need to be a Super 2?

... and plan for an eventual four lane widening in the future as the two cities grow.

The population of the city of Anchorage peaked in 2013 and has been slowly declining since then.

The population of the city of Fairbanks peaked in 1993 and hasn't been above 33k since 1994.
So it can easily be upgraded without much disruptions to traffic when the need is there for a widening. Plus this isn't just any route, it is the main route between the states two largest cities. Though they might be shrinking now that might not always be the case and I suspect it won't. Time will tell I suppose.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 21, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
So it can easily be upgraded without much disruptions to traffic when the need is there for a widening.

Are you expecting the ADT to mushroom at some point?

~ or ~

Why on earth should tax dollars go to upgrading a 300-mile highway with less than 2000 ADT, if there is no reason to expect traffic volumes to increase beyond that figure?

Plus this isn't just any route, it is the main route between the states two largest cities.

I don't see how that matters.  2000 ADT is 2000 ADT.

Though they might be shrinking now that might not always be the case and I suspect it won't.

I don't think "might" and "Plutonic Panda suspects" are good reasons to upgrade a highway.
Male pronouns, please.

oscar

I suspected the ADT between the two cities was not that high but didn't realize it was under 2000. I suppose they could just go with a super two setup and plan for an eventual four lane widening in the future as the two cities grow.

The overpasses would drive up the cost, with minimal benefit. Far less expensive to add passing lanes here and there. Even that isn't really needed except in the summer, when slow RVs can gum things up.

I've traveled that highway several times. It is one of Alaska's newer highways, and never cried out to me as needing major improvements except perhaps in the Wasilla area (east of there is already four-lane freeway all the way into Anchorage).

It also helps somewhat that the Alaska Railroad provides passenger service between Seward and Fairbanks via Anchorage. That's an option especially for commuters into Anchorage, and tourists.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2020, 05:04:01 PM
So it can easily be upgraded without much disruptions to traffic when the need is there for a widening.

Are you expecting the ADT to mushroom at some point?

~ or ~

Why on earth should tax dollars go to upgrading a 300-mile highway with less than 2000 ADT, if there is no reason to expect traffic volumes to increase beyond that figure?

Plus this isn't just any route, it is the main route between the states two largest cities.

I don't see how that matters.  2000 ADT is 2000 ADT.

Though they might be shrinking now that might not always be the case and I suspect it won't.

I don't think "might" and "Plutonic Panda suspects" are good reasons to upgrade a highway.
I get your points though among various things like planning for growth even if currently there isn't much going on doesn't hurt. Safety is another benefit of grade separation and having a solid, fully controlled access facility between the states two largest cities is a win-win all around, IMO. Sure it is what I suspect and I guess we will see where those cities go. Good planning never hurts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.