News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

75A, the highway south of Sapulpa–what is it?

Started by Scott5114, March 04, 2010, 12:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Have we ever really figured this thing out? According to OKHighways, at various places, it's signed as OK 75A, US 75A, and US 75 Alternate. What is it really? Did signage all switch to meat cleavers in 2006? Or is it still a jumbled mess? If so, can we get the answers out of ODOT?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

June 2009

There still some circle signs for 75A along it, but I have no recent photos.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

It's Alt US 75, sometimes signed as US 75A.  The circle 75A signs are errors.  And it runs along OK 66, I-44, and I-244 to end at US 75 but it's not signed for whatever reason.

okroads

I drove ALTERNATE U.S. 75/ALT U.S. 75/OK 75A/ALT OK 75A a month ago: here are my pics from that trip:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/sets/72157623443916502/

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

bugo

Quote from: okroads on March 04, 2010, 11:10:29 AM
I drove ALTERNATE U.S. 75/ALT U.S. 75/OK 75A/ALT OK 75A a month ago: here are my pics from that trip:

The lack of meat cleavers make me believe the circles are errors.  If the road was really OK 75A I think they would have printed up meat cleavers.

bugo

Here's what the ODOT maps say:
Creek County:

Tulsa County:

Tulsa city inset on 2009 state map:

They all show Alt 75 following OK 66 back to Tulsa.  I wonder when the Alt 75 signs were removed from this section?

okroads

Quote from: bugo on March 04, 2010, 11:19:43 AM
Quote from: okroads on March 04, 2010, 11:10:29 AM

The lack of meat cleavers make me believe the circles are errors.  If the road was really OK 75A I think they would have printed up meat cleavers.

Agreed...that's why I just call it ALT U.S. 75 now.

okroads

Quote from: bugo on March 04, 2010, 11:34:26 AM
Here's what the ODOT maps say:
They all show Alt 75 following OK 66 back to Tulsa.  I wonder when the Alt 75 signs were removed from this section?
I have never seen ALT U.S. 75 signed from Sapulpa to Tulsa in all the times I've been on that section of road in the past 20+ years. It's probably one of those highways that are still signed on the maps even though they haven't been signed in the field in several years.

Scott5114

And here's what the Control Section Map's Sapulpa inset has to say on the matter:

The zoomed-out view doesn't show 75A headed to Tulsa. Interestingly enough, it shows the road as US-75A...

Scott5114

yakra

IIRC it's in the AASHTO logs as US75Alt as well. Putting the 'A' in the shield, rather than having an "Alternate" banner, is the more common way of doing things here in New England, but it seems to be popping up in other places as well. Makes sense for OK, with their love for letter suffixed routes. I see that Okladot still does use the "Alternate" banner in places though. Heh.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bugo

Quote from: yakra on March 15, 2010, 06:23:47 PM
IIRC it's in the AASHTO logs as US75Alt as well. Putting the 'A' in the shield, rather than having an "Alternate" banner, is the more common way of doing things here in New England, but it seems to be popping up in other places as well. Makes sense for OK, with their love for letter suffixed routes. I see that Okladot still does use the "Alternate" banner in places though. Heh.

Nothing makes sense about OK.

national highway 1

Quote from: yakra on March 15, 2010, 06:23:47 PM
Same with US 89A in AZ/UT & AZ 89A
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.