News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 23, 2021, 08:24:44 PM
This might not normally be on-topic here, even though many of the members here like
Sheetz (including me).  But the location of the new Sheetz in Anne Arundel County makes
it relevant, the (I believe) current site of a Shell Station on MD-170 (Aviation Boulevard) at
Air Cargo Drive
and GSV here - this is part of the land that makes up BWI Airport, and
is owned by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the Maryland
Aviation Administration (MAA).

For what it's worth, the Baltimore Business Journal suggests that the Sheetz site will be a bit further south, at the intersection of Aviation Boulevard and Amtrak Way.  The site is a former parking lot across the street from the Northrop Grumman plant.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2021/09/22/sheetz-to-open-first-anne-arundel-county-location.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: dlsterner on September 24, 2021, 12:58:22 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 23, 2021, 08:24:44 PM
This might not normally be on-topic here, even though many of the members here like
Sheetz (including me).  But the location of the new Sheetz in Anne Arundel County makes
it relevant, the (I believe) current site of a Shell Station on MD-170 (Aviation Boulevard) at
Air Cargo Drive
and GSV here - this is part of the land that makes up BWI Airport, and
is owned by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the Maryland
Aviation Administration (MAA).

For what it's worth, the Baltimore Business Journal suggests that the Sheetz site will be a bit further south, at the intersection of Aviation Boulevard and Amtrak Way.  The site is a former parking lot across the street from the Northrop Grumman plant.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2021/09/22/sheetz-to-open-first-anne-arundel-county-location.html

I was paywalled from that - thanks for sharing.  That is an even better location for persons looking to return rental cars with a full tank, which is south of there off of MD-170.

Possible new Sheetz location here.

GSV of site as it appeared in 2019 here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

Sheetz has been getting pretty aggressive with its locations lately. They recently opened one right across the street from both Wawa and 7-11 on Airport Dr near Richmond International Airport

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wSt66ckteBc3oJvJ7
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on September 24, 2021, 01:44:31 PM
Sheetz has been getting pretty aggressive with its locations lately. They recently opened one right across the street from both Wawa and 7-11 on Airport Dr near Richmond International Airport

It appears on the map not to be on airport property, but maybe Sheetz is trying to open up a new market (for them) of locations near airports to capture rental car customers that need to return the car with a full tank of fuel?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 25, 2021, 10:56:44 AM
Quote from: plain on September 24, 2021, 01:44:31 PM

It appears on the map not to be on airport property, but maybe Sheetz is trying to open up a new market (for them) of locations near airports to capture rental car customers that need to return the car with a full tank of fuel?

It was in the process of being built when I drove through the area in November 2020.  I think it is just part of their expansion in the Richmond area.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Official BWI Airport press release:

Sheetz to Develop First Anne Arundel County Store Location at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport

QuoteSheetz, a major Mid-Atlantic restaurant and convenience chain, will build a
new store location at the intersection of Aviation Boulevard and Amtrak Way, on
the northwest side of the airport. The new location will sit at the approximately
4-acre site near the BWI Rail Station and the airport's consolidated rental car
facility. Sheetz was voted Best Regional Fast Food Chain by USA Today in 2020.

Quote"We are excited to welcome Sheetz to the airport and the local community,"  
said Ricky Smith, Executive Director of BWI Marshall Airport. "The new store
location will offer excellent service for our passengers, rental car customers,
employees, and local residents. The popular, high quality Sheetz brand will reinforce
our commitment to offer a convenient, modern airport with outstanding amenities."

TheOneKEA

They chose that location very deliberately. Not only will it be very well patronized by people returning their rental cars to the facility off of New Ridge Road, but it will also grab a significant share of the commuter traffic to the Northrop Grumman facility, anyone headed to the Amtrak station, and all of the BWI Trail users.

I will be very interested to see if this Sheetz location will encourage or discourage use of their parking for anyone seeking entry to the BWI Trail. The only free parking in the area is the eastbound shoulder of Elkridge Landing Road near the intersection with Terminal Road and it regularly fills up with trail users. The parking at the Thomas Dixon Observation Area is regularly full, and the only other area where trail users could park to access the trail is Andover Park. If Sheetz doesn't drive away trail users they could realize a LOT of business from individuals using the trail for exercise, families, and people who commute along the trail.

On a road-related topic, I wonder if Amtrak Way (unsigned MD 995) will be significantly altered as a result of developing the ingress/egress from Sheetz. The stub of Stoney Run Road that once led to the PRR level crossing will probably have its intersection replaced with a RIRO to allow southbound MD 170 traffic to get into and out of the Sheetz parking lot. When could we expect to see a project entry on the Maryland Roads Portal?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 25, 2021, 04:56:53 PM
They chose that location very deliberately. Not only will it be very well patronized by people returning their rental cars to the facility off of New Ridge Road, but it will also grab a significant share of the commuter traffic to the Northrop Grumman facility, anyone headed to the Amtrak station, and all of the BWI Trail users.

From the perspective of a location for a gas station, it is perfect - and
there is resident population  and plenty of off-airport and on-airport
employment close by who may come by for MTO or similar.  MARC and
Amtrak patrons may stop by to get food or drink, much like departing
airline passengers.

There is a RoFo south of there on MD-170, but I suspect that the
demand for Sheetz (at least initially) might be similar to a new
Sonic - as in overwhelming (is that "induced" demand?).

QuoteI will be very interested to see if this Sheetz location will
encourage or discourage use of their parking for anyone seeking
entry to the BWI Trail. The only free parking in the area is the
eastbound shoulder of Elkridge Landing Road near the intersection
with Terminal Road and it regularly fills up with trail users. The
parking at the Thomas Dixon Observation Area is regularly full,
and the only other area where trail users could park to access
the trail is Andover Park. If Sheetz doesn't drive away trail users
they could realize a LOT of business from individuals using the
trail for exercise, families, and people who commute along the
trail.

I do not know.  I do know that the BWI trail was originally built
for airport-area employees so maybe they did not give much
consideration to parking.

QuoteOn a road-related topic, I wonder if Amtrak Way (unsigned
MD 995) will be significantly altered as a result of developing the
ingress/egress from Sheetz. The stub of Stoney Run Road that
once led to the PRR level crossing will probably have its intersection
replaced with a RIRO to allow southbound MD 170 traffic to get into
and out of the Sheetz parking lot. When could we expect to see a
project entry on the Maryland Roads Portal?

I suppose it could be an MAA project.  Or maybe SHA will do the
work and solicit construction bids for the project and get reimbursed?

That was one of the relatively few grade crossings in Anne Arundel
County of (what is now) the Northeast Corridor.  Maybe the only
one I can remember.

Stephane Dumas

The construction of the MD-210 interchange at Kerby Hill road is almost complete from what I saw on this recent Google streetview taken last August May.
https://goo.gl/maps/WNmVUNjMQZNhx7B78

cb98

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 31, 2021, 08:56:34 AM
Finally, on a nitpicking note: the blue "TOLL" banner on this shield assembly past exit 89 was replaced with a proper yellow one  :D
It was sometime around late July/August when that was changed. I drove through that area on July 11 and snagged a pic of it :)

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 02, 2021, 09:24:08 PM
The construction of the MD-210 interchange at Kerby Hill road is almost complete from what I saw on this recent Google streetview taken last August May.
https://goo.gl/maps/WNmVUNjMQZNhx7B78
Drove by here last week, I remember seeing signs for Kerby Hill Rd but didn't see if it was open in full. I was too frustrated with the bad drivers lol
All I'm saying is the B&W Parkway needs to be widened...

Clinched | Flickr

bluecountry

Any reason why I-95 north of Baltimore uses 'New York' as the control city?
IMO Wilmington or Philadelphia would be better and more fair.
On one hand Philadelphia is the big city and it deserves more of a mention but Wilmington is closer and where the major split to 295 occurs.

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on October 06, 2021, 03:30:03 PM
On one hand Philadelphia is the big city and it deserves more of a mention but Wilmington is closer and where the major split to 295 occurs.
More people are going to New York, but I would want to see Wilmington as the next city. (Listing two is fine.)

epzik8

Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2021, 06:38:14 PM
More people are going to New York, but I would want to see Wilmington as the next city. (Listing two is fine.)
They're also assumed to be taking the New Jersey Turnpike, therefore bypassing Wilmington, Philadelphia and Trenton.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on October 06, 2021, 10:34:14 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2021, 06:38:14 PM
They're also assumed to be taking the New Jersey Turnpike, therefore bypassing Wilmington, Philadelphia and Trenton.
But I-95 goes to those (well, now two of the three) so you should list them as well.

1995hoo

Because they wanted something for the pedants on this forum to discuss ad nauseam.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 07, 2021, 07:33:12 AM

Because they wanted something for the pedants on this forum to discuss ad nauseam.

:-D :-D :-D

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on October 07, 2021, 12:29:30 AM
But I-95 goes to those (well, now two of the three) so you should list them as well.

When the part of I-95 that became the JFK Highway in Maryland (originally Northeast Expressway) and Delaware (also Delaware Turnpike) opened in 1963, there was no Delaware Expressway to Center City in Philadelphia and no I-95 to Exit 10 on the New Jersey Turnpike - the alternatives were not a desirable through route  to New York, so Maryland used N J Turnpike as the control city for I-95 northbound north of Baltimore and eventually that became New York.  While not ever signed as such south of Exit 6 (and not really south of Exit 10 until recently), the New Jersey Turnpike from Exit 1 to Exit 10 (along with I-295 across the Delaware Memorial Bridge) was the de-facto I-95 for all those years.   

Over 50 years after the JFK Highway opened, there is now a completed I-95 from Philadelphia to Exit 10 on the N J Turnpike and New York, so it could be signed as Wilmington, Philadelphia and New York by Maryland.  The governors of Delaware and Pennsylvania probably need to lobby their counterpart in Maryland to get that to happen.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 07, 2021, 07:33:12 AM

Agree.

But it does bother me that MDTA, otherwise an agency with good signs along its roads, refuses to sign Wilmington and Philadelphia on  I-95 northbound.

The AASHTO control cities for I-95 N in this area are as follows:

• Baltimore
  • Wilmington
  • Chester
  • Philadelphia
  • Trenton
  • New York City
IMO no need for Maryland to sign Chester and Trenton.

Southbound I-95 on JFK Highway mostly signs two local cities and Baltimore.  As it approaches I-695 (Exit 64), Washington, D.C. appears.  Richmond is not mentioned until far beyond JFK Highway and south of the southern I-895 half interchange (Exit 46 northbound) in Howard County.  In the past, I think Richmond was mentioned on JFK Highway southbound but not any longer.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 31, 2021, 08:56:34 AM
[multi-paragraph post about I-95/JFK Highway AET conversion]

While heading up the JFK Highway stretch of I-95 this past Thursday for the first time since making the above post, I managed to snag a few pictures of the items I typed up previously.

First, a new sign on the same gantry that previously held this:

Then, the 2 new ground-mounted signs in the median approaching exit 89:

Followed by the new signage on the same gantry that previously held this:

The new toll gantry is now installed (which wasn't yet the case as of my previous post) about 3/4 mile south of the existing toll plaza:

And finally, here is the toll plaza as of last Thursday - it certainly looks like they're close to being ready to flip the switch:

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

I don't get why Maryland won't at least post the video toll rate. They only post the MD E-ZPass rate now.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 11, 2021, 11:40:52 AM
I don't get why Maryland won't at least post the video toll rate. They only post the MD E-ZPass rate now.

E-ZPass is very common in suburban Maryland because of the formerly legendary backups at the cash lanes at the Bay Bridge toll plaza. I suspect the MdTA doesn't post the video toll rate because very few people would care (because they have E-ZPass), and the remainder who would care probably already know what the rate is.

noelbotevera

Speaking of which, why was the Bay Bridge toll gantry moved to Kent Island? I don't see why they couldn't have built the gantry using the footprint of the old toll plaza.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TheOneKEA

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 12, 2021, 09:47:09 PM
Speaking of which, why was the Bay Bridge toll gantry moved to Kent Island? I don't see why they couldn't have built the gantry using the footprint of the old toll plaza.

A new gantry on Kent Island could be designed, built, tested and placed into use without disrupting the removal of the existing plaza or the installation of the new flow control barrier system. Maintaining a large gantry full of electronics in the midst of a building site that is attempting to substantially revise the entire roadway would have been very difficult.

plain

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 12, 2021, 09:40:48 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 11, 2021, 11:40:52 AM

E-ZPass is very common in suburban Maryland because of the formerly legendary backups at the cash lanes at the Bay Bridge toll plaza. I suspect the MdTA doesn't post the video toll rate because very few people would care (because they have E-ZPass), and the remainder who would care probably already know what the rate is.

Still, there are plenty of people who don't have an E-ZPass (let alone an MD issued one). They should've shown the other rate in some capacity.
Newark born, Richmond bred

bluecountry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 10, 2021, 05:53:45 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 07, 2021, 12:29:30 AM

When the part of I-95 that became the JFK Highway in Maryland (originally Northeast Expressway) and Delaware (also Delaware Turnpike) opened in 1963, there was no Delaware Expressway to Center City in Philadelphia and no I-95 to Exit 10 on the New Jersey Turnpike - the alternatives were not a desirable through route  to New York, so Maryland used N J Turnpike as the control city for I-95 northbound north of Baltimore and eventually that became New York.  While not ever signed as such south of Exit 6 (and not really south of Exit 10 until recently), the New Jersey Turnpike from Exit 1 to Exit 10 (along with I-295 across the Delaware Memorial Bridge) was the de-facto I-95 for all those years.   

Over 50 years after the JFK Highway opened, there is now a completed I-95 from Philadelphia to Exit 10 on the N J Turnpike and New York, so it could be signed as Wilmington, Philadelphia and New York by Maryland.  The governors of Delaware and Pennsylvania probably need to lobby their counterpart in Maryland to get that to happen.
Thank you, that makes sense.  Well past time to change it, and Wilmington makes most sense due to the 95/295/495 split there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.