News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 16, 2021, 07:59:56 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on November 16, 2021, 12:21:51 PM
Wonder if they will raise the speed limit north of the Tydings bridge from 55 to 65 now that the toll plaza has been bypassed
IMO, I-95 from north of Baltimore to the Delaware line needs to go up from 65 mph to 70 mph. Not sure why they didn't raise it back in 2015.
IMO the Tydings Bridge needs to be improved with at the very least full shoulders and interstate standards if not an extra lane.

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on November 28, 2021, 07:00:14 PM
Wonder if they will raise the speed limit north of the Tydings bridge from 55 to 65 now that the toll plaza has been bypassed
IMO, I-95 from north of Baltimore to the Delaware line needs to go up from 65 mph to 70 mph. Not sure why they didn't raise it back in 2015.
IMO the Tydings Bridge needs to be improved with at the very least full shoulders and interstate standards if not an extra lane.
Agreed, but that shouldn't be the reason I-95 doesn't go to 70 mph everywhere else.

MASTERNC

The speed limit already drops to 55 near the old toll plaza - just extend the speed reduction across the bridge and add it southbound.

Bitmapped

I was on US 220 north of I-68 today and noticed that SHA has installed double-sided Reference Location Signs (Interstate-style mile markers with whole miles) on this stretch. Checking GMSV, they're new since September 2019.

I've not seen this on any other Maryland surface route before, including several other routes in this same district I've driven this fall. Has anyone else noticed mile markers popping up in Maryland?

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 28, 2021, 08:43:04 PM

The speed limit already drops to 55 near the old toll plaza - just extend the speed reduction across the bridge and add it southbound.

Drove thru today for the first time since the all electronic gantry was added... was wondering if they plan to raise it to 65 throughout now that there's no need to stop at a plaza.

1995hoo

Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2021, 08:37:12 PM

Drove thru today for the first time since the all electronic gantry was added... was wondering if they plan to raise it to 65 throughout now that there's no need to stop at a plaza.

Have they finished removal of the old plaza? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change anything until that's done (plus, they could probably issue more speed camera tickets while the work continues if they keep it at 55 for now).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 08, 2021, 09:16:02 AM

Have they finished removal of the old plaza? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change anything until that's done (plus, they could probably issue more speed camera tickets while the work continues if they keep it at 55 for now).

That work zone is not one targeted for speed cameras.  The camera zone is near the Bel Air exit (and soon near the White Marsh exit).

famartin

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 08, 2021, 09:16:02 AM

They're not done yet.  The thru lanes are full speed thru the plaza but there are no shoulders due to construction barriers.

MASTERNC

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 13, 2021, 08:40:32 PM
Speed cameras start December 20 just north of White Marsh on I-95 north

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/work-zone-speed-camera-enforcement-begins-northbound-i-95

Cute that they don't mention what that specified rate is... but I believe, and I quote:
"In accordance with Maryland law, images are only captured and used for the purpose of issuing a citation if a vehicle is exceeding the posted work zone speed limit by 12 mph or greater"

NJRoadfan

The vehicles running the cameras are also VERY obvious and visible. So you'd be pretty oblivious to speed past one.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 13, 2021, 11:27:12 PM
The vehicles running the cameras are also VERY obvious and visible. So you'd be pretty oblivious to speed past one.

The accompanying porta-potty for the car driver/camera operator to use is always a huge giveaway too  :-D

As for I-95 in White Marsh, it looked like all the advance warning signage for this new camera location was already in place as of this past Saturday.  Additionally, it looked like the advance signage for the speed camera located at exit 74 (covering the work zone between there & exit 77) had been removed, so I look at this as the camera essentially moving a few miles southwest.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Not as obvious as PA, as Maryland's are often obscured by the porta-potty (which, of course, is what you look for).  PA's vehicle is in the open with flashing amber strobe lights, a sequence of cameras on the roof, and a sign that says "Enforcement Vehicle" on the back.  Of course, Maryland always keeps their vehicles in one spot, whereas the vehicle in PA can be closer to where work is ongoing (there are two portable signs they put up in advance).

jmacswimmer

Up next in the Maryland AET-conversion series: the Fort McHenry Tunnel.  (I actually thought this had already been underway, but apparently not.)

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/construction-fort-mchenry-tunnel-i-95-toll-plaza-will-provide

Quote from: MDTA
The project is part of the MDTA's system-wide efforts to make its all-electronic tolling operations accessible to drivers at highway speeds. At the Fort McHenry Tunnel, work starting in January will convert the middle lanes of the existing toll plaza into four highway-speed lanes in each direction by removing toll booths and canopy.

A safety measure was implemented at the tunnel toll plaza in December 2020 to facilitate safe and orderly flow of traffic, resulting in the closure of several toll lanes. These lanes will remain closed as crews work to remove the toll booths.

In spring 2022, crews will install two overhead tolling gantries, one for southbound traffic and one for northbound traffic, just south of the existing toll plaza. Off-peak lane and tube closures will be necessary to complete the work to construct the overhead gantry.

During summer 2022, traffic will shift to the new travel lanes in the middle of the former toll plaza area, and motorists will drive beneath the tolling gantries at posted highway speeds. With traffic in the new highway-speed lanes, the MDTA will remove the remaining toll booths and canopy by late 2022.

Among other things, the press release includes a timeline of all the other conversions statewide:

Quote from: MDTA
The MDTA converted toll plazas at the Hatem (US 40), Key (I-695), and Bay (US 50/301) bridges to highway-speed AET in 2019 and 2020.

The John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway (I-95) toll plaza was converted to highway-speed AET on an interim basis in November until permanent roadway configuration can be studied, designed and constructed. The planning study is expected to begin in fiscal year 2023.

Highway-speed AET is part of the Nice/Middleton Bridge (US 301) replacement project, scheduled to be operational in spring 2022.

The MDTA, in coordination with the Federal Highway Administration, conducted a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Study to evaluate proposed toll plaza and interchange improvements near the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). With this study now complete, preliminary engineering is underway to bring highway-speed AET to the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Highway-speed AET is scheduled to be operational at the Harbor Tunnel in 2026.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Interesting it is going to take 2 more years for MDTA just to figure out what they want to do around the old JFK toll plaza.  I assume this relates to the weigh station, as I don't think there is much else as far as complexity there.

74/171FAN

So I have a question for the Maryland peeps.  What does it mean when a VMS states "COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ADVISORY ENFORCED"?  Is it just a standard message or does it actually mean something beyond that?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheOneKEA

I don't understand why the new toll gantries for the Fort McHenry Tunnel are being built next to the old toll plaza. Why not build them on the other side of the tunnel, in Locust Point, and avoid the complexities of staging both construction projects at the same site? The new Bay Bridge toll gantries were built on Kent Island so that the existing plaza could be demolished more easily, so why not do the same at the Fort McHenry Tunnel?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 19, 2021, 05:54:15 PM
I don't understand why the new toll gantries for the Fort McHenry Tunnel are being built next to the old toll plaza. Why not build them on the other side of the tunnel, in Locust Point, and avoid the complexities of staging both construction projects at the same site? The new Bay Bridge toll gantries were built on Kent Island so that the existing plaza could be demolished more easily, so why not do the same at the Fort McHenry Tunnel?

I guess it depends on what MDTA actually means by "just south of the existing toll plaza".  If they literally meant just south while the roadway is still widened out for the plaza, then I agree with your take.  But if the gantries will be installed closer to the tunnel portals (similar to what MassDOT did at the Sumner/Callahan Tunnels), then I'd think it becomes a non-issue.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 16, 2021, 06:17:47 PM
So I have a question for the Maryland peeps.  What does it mean when a VMS states "COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ADVISORY ENFORCED"?  Is it just a standard message or does it actually mean something beyond that?

Out of curiosity, which VMS did you see this on?  I saw this same message on an I-70 VMS in the Hagerstown area about 2 months ago, and was equally unsure of what it meant.  The closest weigh stations are roughly 30-40 miles east of here along both I-70 & I-270 heading out of Frederick, and I would think such a VMS message would make more sense if a weigh station is coming up in the next 5 or 10 miles.

But to your point, I'm not aware of there being anything special behind that message.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

74/171FAN

jmacswimmer, the specific one on Thursday was on I-81 entering Maryland, but I remember seeing it on my MD 200 trip a couple weeks ago as well, but I forget where.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 28, 2021, 07:16:42 PM
Agreed, but that shouldn't be the reason I-95 doesn't go to 70 mph everywhere else.
Why is their never any talk about improving the Tydings bridge?

plain

Quote from: bluecountry on December 19, 2021, 11:09:23 PM

There are still long range plans to 8-lane the rest of the highway to the DE line, which would include the bridge. When that will happen still remains to be seen.
Newark born, Richmond bred

TheOneKEA

Quote from: plain on December 19, 2021, 11:19:30 PM

There are still long range plans to 8-lane the rest of the highway to the DE line, which would include the bridge. When that will happen still remains to be seen.

The MdTA has so many large capital projects in progress right now that I wouldn't expect major works on the Tydings Bridge to occur until the 2030s at the earliest. That segment of I-95 needs to be widened though; it is already busy enough to require eight lanes and could easily need more than that 10 years from now.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on December 14, 2021, 08:30:18 AM

The accompanying porta-potty for the car driver/camera operator to use is always a huge giveaway too  :-D

As for I-95 in White Marsh, it looked like all the advance warning signage for this new camera location was already in place as of this past Saturday.  Additionally, it looked like the advance signage for the speed camera located at exit 74 (covering the work zone between there & exit 77) had been removed, so I look at this as the camera essentially moving a few miles southwest.

Just drove by going southbound. There are two cameras, one in the regular lanes and one in the express lanes. The one in the regular lanes was well hidden judging by the number of flashes I saw.

bluecountry

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 20, 2021, 08:04:12 AM
Quote from: plain on December 19, 2021, 11:19:30 PM

The MdTA has so many large capital projects in progress right now that I wouldn't expect major works on the Tydings Bridge to occur until the 2030s at the earliest. That segment of I-95 needs to be widened though; it is already busy enough to require eight lanes and could easily need more than that 10 years from now.

8 lanes is fine, not more.

Fixed quote.   -Mark

roadwaywiz95

New content alert from the "roadwaywiz" YouTube channel:

For this weekend's *live* content, we're kicking off the year 2022 with a special "Doubleheader Day" of *live* programming across the afternoon and evening. It's our way of thanking all of our viewers and supporters while being able to celebrate the beginning of a new year together. It's our first time attempting to broadcast two of these episodes on the same day and it should be a lot of fun for all involved!

The first *live* presentation of the day will begin at 12:00 PM ET and will feature a "doubleheader" Virtual Tour episode, featuring the beltway freeways encircling Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD:

The nightcap *live* presentation will begin at 6:00 PM ET and will feature this Webinar devoted to the interstates and other freeways & bridges of the Baltimore, MD metro area:

All in all, my team and I are really excited to bring this doubleheader day of events to you folks and we look forward to celebrating the New Year with some/all of you and seeing everyone in attendance!
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.