News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New proposal would extend Suncoast Parkway to Georgia

Started by afguy, May 02, 2019, 10:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

QuoteThe Florida House is ready to put the state on a path toward three new or expanded toll roads in mostly rural regions, despite fears from environmental groups and Democrats about sprawling development and damage to wetlands.

With the issue a priority of Senate President Bill Galvano, the House on Tuesday set itself up to vote Wednesday on a bill (SB 7068) that would set the stage for the projects. The bill, in part, would establish task forces to study the economic and environmental impacts of the toll roads.

"We did not know we were going to have 1,000 people a day moving to the state of Florida 20 years ago, even 10 years ago probably,"  said Rep. Jay Trumbull, a Panama City Republican leading the issue in the House. "With that, we have to be forward-thinking and make sure that as we try to get goods and services in the state or try to get people out of the state, as it relates to hurricane evacuation routes, the onus is upon us to ensure that we're able to look at new opportunities and look at roads across our state."

The projects would extend the Suncoast Parkway from the Tampa Bay area north to the Georgia border; link the Florida Turnpike west to the Suncoast Parkway; and build a new transportation corridor, including a toll road, from Polk County to Collier County.
https://www.chronicleonline.com/news/state/house-set-to-vote-wednesday-on-plan-that-would-extend/article_3a9baffa-6bab-11e9-b150-270522dd7495.html

hotdogPi

I would have preferred connecting with the First Coast Expressway via Ocala.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

froggie

I recall, from about 15-20 years ago, a FDOT long-range plan that extended the Turnpike to US 19/98 in the vicinity of FL 121 and extended the Suncoast north to that Turnpike extension.

The Ghostbuster

The Suncoast Parkway will likely be extended further north, although the prospect of it going all the way to the Florida/Georgia border seems more like a "Fictional Highways" proposal to me. If it did make it to Georgia, where would it go from there? I think all this is nothing more than a pipe-dream.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2019, 03:52:28 PM
The Suncoast Parkway will likely be extended further north, although the prospect of it going all the way to the Florida/Georgia border seems more like a "Fictional Highways" proposal to me. If it did make it to Georgia, where would it go from there? I think all this is nothing more than a pipe-dream.
https://www.wcjb.com/content/news/New-toll-road-plan-whips-up-both-support-and-criticism-509365831.html

This article has a map generally showing the routes of the proposals.

It would extend about 150 miles between the current northern terminus and I-75 in Georgia. It would act a relief route to I-75, and a more direct route for traffic from Tampa (especially those in the northeastern suburbs) to I-10 West, which current has to go inland to I-75, or follow two-lane roads along the coast, both take about the same amount of time depending where you are in the metro area.

Also, not technically a "Fictional Highways" proposal as this is indeed a true proposal and is official. It's not some letter to the editor post or idea came up here on the forum.

wriddle082

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2019, 03:52:28 PM

Even if it did hit the FL/GA border and just ended with GA not doing anything for several years, as long as the connection to I-10 is made, it will serve a good purpose.  Get traffic from the west heading towards Central and South FL a bypass around Lake City, Gainesville, and Ocala.  I think that, in and of itself, is worthy of something.  FL needs relief everywhere!

sprjus4

I don't care for tolls that much, but with something like these proposals, I can understand it. Similar to the US-460 toll road proposal that -almost- got built here in Virginia, they will serve as an alternative route to an existing free interstate highway. If you don't want to pay the toll, you still have a free, interstate-grade option. You'll have more traffic, and deal with urban areas, but it's still better then a two-lane roadway being that -free- alternative. Similarly, I don't care for urban toll roads that much either. They have the potential to relief a significant amount of traffic, but don't get full usage because they have tolls. Even with four-lane non-limited-access highways, tolls can work fine and still provide a reliable free option.

When they build a relief route to a two-lane roadway or an urban at-grade roadway by making it a toll road though, that's when I don't bite much. Same with tolling existing interstates. But new location proposals paralleling roughly existing interstate-highway corridors and four-lane non-limited-access -rural- highways make more sense IMHO. But that doesn't mean make every freeway a toll road either.

formulanone

That Marco–Lakeland corridor isn't even on FritzOwl's plans. Maybe one day Sebring will push for a spur to I-75 or Lakeland suggests one towards the Turnpike, but there's nothing else major there along that area. There's plenty of ROW to 4-lane existing two-lane highways. Maybe you put some bypasses along US 27, widen FL 29 or 951 in places and that's about it. I doubt Marco Island wants a increase in build-up and build-out.

wriddle082

Quote from: formulanone on May 02, 2019, 05:53:13 PM
That Marco–Lakeland corridor isn't even on FritzOwl's plans. Maybe one day Sebring will push for a spur to I-75 or Lakeland suggests one towards the Turnpike, but there's nothing else major there along that area. There's plenty of ROW to 4-lane existing two-lane highways. Maybe you put some bypasses along US 27, widen FL 29 or 951 in places and that's about it. I doubt Marco Island wants a increase in build-up and build-out.

I think if they upgrade the corridors from Naples and Ft. Myers east to this new corridor, it would serve its purpose, which would be to give rapidly-growing SW FL an additional limited access corridor out of the region that isn't I-75.

I, for one, have utilized the US 27 corridor in the past to travel b/w Orlando and Ft. Myers.  The need is there.

roadman65

I believe the one to Lakeland south to Marco is a rebirth of the Heartlands Parkway that was proposed under Jeb Bush's administration (whether he was behind it or his legislative body) which would allow for a limited access freeway in the middle of the state.  Right now its either US 17 or travel west along I-75 to I-4 to get to Central Florida.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Gnutella

I-75 needs all the relief it can get between Florida's Turnpike and I-10.

The Ghostbuster

The First Coast Expressway is more likely to make it to Georgia, in my opinion, than the Suncoast Parkway. I don't see that happening either, so I'll believe it when I see it.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 02, 2019, 04:57:10 PM
I don't care for tolls that much, but with something like these proposals, I can understand it. Similar to the US-460 toll road proposal that -almost- got built here in Virginia, they will serve as an alternative route to an existing free interstate highway. If you don't want to pay the toll, you still have a free, interstate-grade option. You'll have more traffic, and deal with urban areas, but it's still better then a two-lane roadway being that -free- alternative. Similarly, I don't care for urban toll roads that much either. They have the potential to relief a significant amount of traffic, but don't get full usage because they have tolls. Even with four-lane non-limited-access highways, tolls can work fine and still provide a reliable free option.

When they build a relief route to a two-lane roadway or an urban at-grade roadway by making it a toll road though, that's when I don't bite much. Same with tolling existing interstates. But new location proposals paralleling roughly existing interstate-highway corridors and four-lane non-limited-access -rural- highways make more sense IMHO. But that doesn't mean make every freeway a toll road either.
During an evacuation there are no tolls.

However, being people are so with GPSes why not just program the device to pick existing routes that are not I-75, I-95, or SR 91 to use as people rely on that voice that says "Turn left ahead, turn right ahead, etc." as that is what I see people doing now.  Just have it navigate for them by getting the GPS companies to upgrade their programs to handle that!

Sheryl Crowe

Tomahawkin

I need to see either one extended into Georgia and around Atlanta as another Atlanta bypass for the snowbirds. Hopefully both Florida and Georgia could work in collaboration to get this started. It would be the real Georgia-Florida highway. Plus either route would provide hurricane relief during evacuations

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Tomahawkin on May 04, 2019, 11:37:46 PM
I need to see either one extended into Georgia and around Atlanta as another Atlanta bypass for the snowbirds. Hopefully both Florida and Georgia could work in collaboration to get this started. It would be the real Georgia-Florida highway. Plus either route would provide hurricane relief during evacuations
I would love to see this changed to more of the US 19 corridor to the east of Tallahassee and then perhaps kick into the US 27 corridor up Georgia.  That would bypass the extremely heavy traffic on I-75 (where there is always construction and always at least one accident stopping traffic for miles when I go through).  It could bend back to I-75 from Rome to Calhoun, and then somewhere around Dalton to Cleveland, TN (GA 71 looks like a straight shot) bypass I-75 going to Chattanooga.

Beltway

Quote from: Gnutella on May 04, 2019, 08:44:39 AM

The why not widen I-75?  That would seem to make a lot more sense than building a new tollroad to the west of there.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Avalanchez71

Did Fritz Owl write this article?  The proposal is unrealistic.  Although it is ashamed that US 27 isn't the great alternative that it once was just a few short years ago.

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on May 02, 2019, 01:46:09 PM
I recall, from about 15-20 years ago, a FDOT long-range plan that extended the Turnpike to US 19/98 in the vicinity of FL 121 and extended the Suncoast north to that Turnpike extension.
It was further south than that. In fact it was at Citrus County Road 488 in Red Level. It should only go that far.

roadman65

Well the Suncoast should be part of the planned proposal of a total US 301 upgrade.  It should go through Ocala area and up through Waldo, Starke (yes use the Truck Alternate that is presently being built), and Lawtley and end at I-10.

The Turnpike should go to Lebanon then US 19 & 98 should be freeway up to Perry with maybe tolled bypasses of  Chiefland, Fanning Springs, Old Towne, and Cross City.  Improve the part south of Perry as that is very dangerous being its so boring from Cross City to US 221.   From Perry to Capps it should be upgraded too and then a new alignment to I-10 and maybe GDOT will think again and build that I-175 they scrapped in favor of the Georgia- Florida Parkway they created with expressway segments of both US 19 and GA 300.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 06, 2019, 11:34:08 PM
Quote from: Gnutella on May 04, 2019, 08:44:39 AM

The why not widen I-75?  That would seem to make a lot more sense than building a new tollroad to the west of there.
Likely funding reasons. A toll road can be toll financed, whereas an interstate widening (it's already 6 lanes all the way thru Florida, so it'd be 8-laned) would require regular funding sources.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2019, 05:12:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on May 06, 2019, 11:34:08 PM
Likely funding reasons. A toll road can be toll financed, whereas an interstate widening (it's already 6 lanes all the way thru Florida, so it'd be 8-laned) would require regular funding sources.

Doubtful that toll road could be supported with standalone toll funding, so part of the funding would require regular funding sources.  And it would be far more expensive to build.

Such a toll road would have to compete with the US-19 corridor, a 4-lane intra-state highway that is toll-free.

The northeastern Gulf coast of Florida is sparsely populated and doesn't need such a highway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Plutonic Panda

^^^ sparsely populated for now. This proposed toll road won't be completed until 2030 per the bill's wording. Lots of growth has occurred in the last decade in Florida.

edwaleni

If you want more snowbird bypass for Atlanta, improve the corridor between Marianna FL and Birmingham, AL, specifically around Dothan.

roadman65

Quote from: edwaleni on May 09, 2019, 11:07:28 PM

If you want more snowbird bypass for Atlanta, improve the corridor between Marianna FL and Birmingham, AL, specifically around Dothan.
There was a proposal to have a tolled spur of I-10 to run along US 231 from Cottondale northward and actually cut through the middle of Dothan.  Someone here showed and posted the plans.  One politician running for office in 2010 actually made it one of his concerns to have that particular road built even.

I guess we need another Michael to wake up some of the people in that part of the nation to finally realize that such a freeway is warranted.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2019, 11:28:17 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 09, 2019, 11:07:28 PM

There was a proposal to have a tolled spur of I-10 to run along US 231 from Cottondale northward and actually cut through the middle of Dothan.  Someone here showed and posted the plans.  One politician running for office in 2010 actually made it one of his concerns to have that particular road built even.

I guess we need another Michael to wake up some of the people in that part of the nation to finally realize that such a freeway is warranted.

The last time it was discussed, the towns of Enterprise and Ozark got in a dispute over its routing in or near Fort Rucker.

The route isn't too bad today between Dothan and Montgomery, but getting around Dothan is the pits. ALDOT is more concerned about the Montgomery Bypass with I-85 to Selma now that I-22 is done farther north.

It would relieve I-75 between Macon and Lake City Fl for the snowbirds, but they would still have to traverse I-75 between Lake City and the tollroad.

So when they do push the Suncoast up further to Lecanto it wont help I-75 until it really gets past Chiefland. If it ever reaches Perry, people won't go to Lake City anymore to reach Tampa or the gulf coast.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.