News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trips from Dallas, Texas

Started by ZLoth, May 15, 2019, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Now that I've settled into my new home base of Dallas, Texas, I'm starting to sketch out some road trip ideas for sometime in the future (one-three years). Some of the ideas so far...

Trip 1 - Atomic Road Trip
One of the highways that runs north of Dallas is US-380. I'm thinking about doing a end-to-end from Greenville, Texas all the way west to San Antonio, New Mexico. Not only does this highway pass through Roswell, NV, but also is really close to the Trinity Site. This means my trip can only take place in early April or October. Still trying to figure out the half-way point between Dallas and Roswell. The return trip would be on US-70 to Ardmore, then south on I-35 to Dallas, Texas.

Trip 2 - US-75
Another trip that I want to try is US-75 end-to-end. The question is.... do I want to just drive the current routing, try the historic routing by including I-45 starting in Galveston, add in TX-87, or really go continuous by starting with TX-124 in Winnie, TX? The possibility also exists that I travel up to Winnipeg via Manitoba Highway 75. The return trip would be on Interstate 29 to Kansas City (another end-to-end), then take I-35 back to Dallas.

Trip 3 - I-30/I-40
Another idea would be to complete clinching of I-30 by driving from Dallas to Little Rock, then head east on I-40 to Oklahoma City, then south again on I-35 back home.

Trip 4 - The Louisiana Circle
Take I-20 east to Meridian, Mississippi, then I-59 south to New Orleans, then I-10 East to San Antonio, then I-35 back to Dallas.

Gee.... why am I so I-35 happy?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

davmillar

I-35 does make it hella convenient to get back after clinching other highways. I may steal your idea to do US 380, but being based in Fort Worth means a bit of backtrack to get to Greenville; maybe I'd do Jacksboro and west on one trip and the eastern bit another time. US 180 might be a longer but still viable option, and perhaps 377 if you're feeling North-South oriented.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.