News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Official proposes PA 885 spur from Mon Fay to Glenwood Bridge

Started by ARMOURERERIC, May 28, 2019, 07:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

JoeP

A lot of people blast this highway, but the region lacks quality roads to get around.

Gnutella

This would be a much less intrusive way to connect the city of Pittsburgh with the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

JawnwoodS96

Glad a representative finally brought this up. It makes sense to connect the Mon-Fayette to the city proper in someway, and this proposed freeway certainly fills that void. Also glad they're thinking of utilizing a bus lane, that's more likely to get those who favor public transportation on board.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

Henry

I see this as a more plausible link from Turnpike 43 to downtown Pittsburgh, compared to the original western spur proposal that was shot down a few years ago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Gnutella

Quote from: Henry on July 01, 2019, 10:31:53 AM
I see this as a more plausible link from Turnpike 43 to downtown Pittsburgh, compared to the original western spur proposal that was shot down a few years ago.

It might also be possible to extend the highway spur all the way up to I-376 by following PA 837 up the Monongahela River and then crossing the river near the railroad bridge on the "Almono" site. From there, the highway could travel along the hillside above Irvine Street and below the Greenfield neighborhood up to the bend in I-376 near Panther Hollow. Check it:

:clap:

Mr_Northside

The topography of the are on the south side of the Mon River makes that virtually impossible, and the simple fact they're not going to want a 4-lane limited access freeway cutting thru the "Almono" (and that would be one heck of a bridge crossing the Mon at that angle) pretty much relegates this to the most fictional of the fictonal highways

It does look neat "on paper" (or as an image)

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Gnutella

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 07, 2019, 03:14:48 PM
The topography of the are on the south side of the Mon River makes that virtually impossible, and the simple fact they're not going to want a 4-lane limited access freeway cutting thru the "Almono" (and that would be one heck of a bridge crossing the Mon at that angle) pretty much relegates this to the most fictional of the fictonal highways

It does look neat "on paper" (or as an image)

Well, do you think it'd be possible to make PA 837 a four-lane arterial road from the South Side to the Glenwood Bridge? There appears to be enough room to do it between the two sets of train tracks. It might even be possible to extend access control as far north as Becks Run Road.

Henry

Quote from: Gnutella on August 07, 2019, 04:33:36 AM

If it weren't for the challenging terrain on the south side of the river, this would work very well. But I like it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on August 07, 2019, 07:34:58 PM
Well, do you think it'd be possible to make PA 837 a four-lane arterial road from the South Side to the Glenwood Bridge? There appears to be enough room to do it between the two sets of train tracks. It might even be possible to extend access control as far north as Becks Run Road.

That space is so tight, I don't know that I could say.  It would be pretty expensive.  I'm not sure if the fact that the adjoining hillside becoming a huge city park would also add to the complications.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.