Regional Boards > Central States

Iowa Interstate Change

<< < (2/10) > >>

Alex:
IowaDOT finally mentioned it yesterday afternoon, but the news release URL referenced does not work:

The northern segment of Interstate 680 in western Iowa renamed I-880 https://t.co/wN6mDQJlgF— Council Bluffs 511 (@cnclbluffs511) October 14, 2019
--- End quote ---

Henry:
I will reiterate that splitting the current I-680 into two segments makes sense, because that gets rid of the pointless and unnecessary concurrency with I-29 (which is also a needless waste of a great 3di). Thus, I support making the Loveland-Minden stretch into I-880.

Beltway:

--- Quote from: Henry on October 15, 2019, 09:35:30 AM ---I will reiterate that splitting the current I-680 into two segments makes sense, because that gets rid of the pointless and unnecessary concurrency with I-29 (which is also a needless waste of a great 3di). Thus, I support making the Loveland-Minden stretch into I-880.
--- End quote ---

The I-29 overlap is part of the Interstate bypass of the area for I-80, and will remain so.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Beltway on October 15, 2019, 07:13:44 AM ---I'm still not sure why they did this.  A flooding event is an emergency situation whereby temporary detour signs need to be posted to cover the area affected.  Standard routings should not IMO be changed for such a reason.

So now instead of having a I-680 alternate/bypass to I-80 thru the Omaha area, 3 different routes need to be followed.   Why?

--- End quote ---
Let's say you're heading on I-29 north.  There's a sign saying a portion of I-29 is closed for flooding (as happens often these days) and to take I-80 and I-680 to detour around it.  Which way do you go?  Now the sign can say I-880, and people won't go the other way and then get stuck when they hit the closure.

Bear in mind that I-680 wasn't ever conceived of as some grand bypass of Omaha.  It was originally designated only on the portion where it exists now.  I-880 was I-80N.  This is actually a return to how everything was originally designated (or as much as one can without bringing back suffixes).  I think someone even posted here (or elsewhere) that they took I-680 around Omaha for a recent trip and didn't find that it would be worth bothering to do unless one needed to make a stop on that route.  It's faster to just stay on I-80 even though there's currently a closure on the mainline at the eastern I-29 interchange.

mvak36:

--- Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2019, 01:14:12 PM ---
Bear in mind that I-680 wasn't ever conceived of as some grand bypass of Omaha.  It was originally designated only on the portion where it exists now.  I-880 was I-80N.  This is actually a return to how everything was originally designated (or as much as one can without bringing back suffixes).  I think someone even posted here (or elsewhere) that they took I-680 around Omaha for a recent trip and didn't find that it would be worth bothering to do unless one needed to make a stop on that route.  It's faster to just stay on I-80 even though there's currently a closure on the mainline at the eastern I-29 interchange.

--- End quote ---

Yes. 80 is usually the faster route. When I lived in Omaha, I would only take 680 the whole way if I was starting north of Maple or Dodge St. To me, it felt like most of the people taking that route into Iowa were going to continue north on 29 towards Sioux City rather than heading east towards I-80.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version