Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Southwest Illinois Connector

<< < (2/6) > >>

ilpt4u:

--- Quote from: Konza on January 14, 2020, 11:56:33 AM ---Is there a reason this proposed highway does not connect to an Interstate highway at either end?

--- End quote ---
IL 3 already is a Divided Rural Expressway feeding into I-255 north of Columbia, and IL 13 already is mostly 6 lane divided highway to Marion and I-57, with a few short sections still 4 lane between Murphysboro and Marion

To say it another way, the connecting highways to the Interstates are already there and built

A Fictional I-24 extension from Marion to Columbia is a Freeway version of this corridor

3467:
There are explanations in the old documents on their website that explain a direct extension is not viable because it would slice through the wildlife refuge.
A roundabout is funded now in Pickneyville. It's on the featured projects page too.
So a 4 lane expressway South of Pickneyville is still viable without the bypass.

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: 3467 on January 14, 2020, 05:44:08 PM ---There are explanations in the old documents on their website that explain a direct extension is not viable because it would slice through the wildlife refuge.
A roundabout is funded now in Pickneyville. It's on the featured projects page too.
So a 4 lane expressway South of Pickneyville is still viable without the bypass.

--- End quote ---

I find it kind of interesting that there is such desire to protect many of these nature areas, because most of these areas are former strip mines that have been in business in the area since the late 1800's. Southern Illinois coal used to fire the boilers to make the steel in Gary, Indiana and run the industry in Chicago. Now it just fires boilers for power companies that can still get high sulfur permits. And Illinois coal certainly has the sulfur.

I have some of the same questions about Pickneyville that I asked about the Lebanon Bypass.  People say they don't like the trucks going through town, but they also don't like the loss of business in their downtowns when people are bypassed around them.  Some states are trying to get around this by defining the bypass as a signed "Truck Route" when you know darn well that anyone in transit will don't bother to go into town if they don't have to.

I definitely agree that there has to be better connectivity between the Carbondale/Marion/West Frankfort MSA and the Metro East. But Illinois just spent $22 million on upgrading the airport with the promise that Allegiant Air would come back (they didn't).  When I fly out of Belleville (Mid-America) on Allegiant half the passengers are from Marion. There is always plenty of grumbling of what the drive can be like.

kphoger:
My wife an I once flew out of Williamson County Regional Airport, to Minneapolis via Saint Louis.  Quite convenient.

3467:
Some of the old documents mentioned trying to use old strip mined land to minimize impacts but there is a subsidence risk.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version