News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Queensburo Bridge Reversible Deck?

Started by MCRoads, January 30, 2020, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

It seems like the upper westbound deck on the queensburo bridge was reversible at some point. Does anyone have any information on this?

Here is a place where it is pretty evident it was reversible.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

1995hoo

See link. Scroll down to "Since the 1980s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensboro_Bridge

BTW, your link doesn't work because you put text into it in addition to the URL.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Both upper level roadways are reversible, actually - the upper level is closed outbound from 6-10 AM Monday-Friday. From 6-9:30 AM,  what is normally the outbound roadway runs inbound and is HOV-2+ only.

That said, the reverse flow capability of the normally inbound roadway is not currently used and, as far as I know, there has never been a normal situation where the entire upper level operates outbound. It has this ability because, in the fall of 1996, the city decided it would be clever during the PM rush hour to reverse both upper level roadways, running left hand traffic over the bridge. This experiment failed and was undone after being in place for only four weeks, but the signs on the bridge enabling the outbound contraflow have never been removed.

Having reverse outbound flow makes less sense in general anyway because:
- outbound has an extra normal lane on the outer roadway (although it did not when the failed left-hand operation experiment was run)
- the upper level has more exits on the Queens side than on the Manhattan side, so outbound traffic has a greater availability to disperse rather than bottlenecking under normal operation
- PM peak traffic has less directional differential. Not a lot of outbound traffic in the morning, but there absolutely is inbound traffic in the evening.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

In 1996 I drove the upper deck inbound roadway going outbound. It was like that in the seventies too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.