Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 2/Glendale Freeway

<< < (4/4)

mrsman:

--- Quote from: don1991 on May 30, 2020, 02:50:23 AM ---I still always think of that small final ramp from the 210 to Foothill Blvd. as CA-249, since the CA-2 portion technically follows I-210 east before splitting off again.  I know its not but that little short stretch with the nice wide median just looks so ready to continue on north.  Oh well.

--- Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2020, 06:18:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2020, 09:25:24 PM ---Personally Im cool with having the Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest Highway stay the two lane back roads they are.   It would be nice to have another option of getting out of San Fernando Valley but if I had to pick I would prefer the planned corridor of CA 118 be developed over new ground. 

--- End quote ---

Along that train of thought -- for several years after the '64 renumbering, the L.A. regional Thomas Guide showed Angeles Forest Hwy. as CA 249 -- taking literally the state highway map's overlay of that existing road with its normal line of circles indicating an alignment not yet formally adopted.  Of course, adoption never took place despite some exhortation at the time from Antelope Valley interests to do so for the sake of navigation from CA 2 (and by extension the Glendale/Pasadena area) out to the desert.  But the road was, starting in the late '60's very well signed as County Road N3; those signs were still posted in the mid-1980's, although many of them disappeared in the 30-odd years since (I was last on this road about 2011, and remember seeing a couple of "rustbucket" N3 signs, but that's about all).   Regarding an eastern CA 118 extension -- it would largely parallel Big Tujunga Road through B.T. Canyon and, if ever developed (at this time unlikely) would likely be as a "modern" 2-lane expressway with periodic passing lanes.  But any further incursion into the San Gabriels by the state highway system is itself unlikely -- particularly since the western terminus of the unbuilt CA 122 was relocated in the late '70's from its original mountain location to CA 14 beteween Acton and Palmdale, indicating that keeping through interregional facilities away from that range had become a Caltrans priority -- which doesn't portend well at all for any future action regarding improvement or signage for CA 249.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Where would it go north of Foothill Blvd.  You hit the mountains in half a mile.  To continue onto Angeles Crest, just take the 210 east for one exit.

sparker:

--- Quote from: mrsman on May 31, 2020, 01:15:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: don1991 on May 30, 2020, 02:50:23 AM ---I still always think of that small final ramp from the 210 to Foothill Blvd. as CA-249, since the CA-2 portion technically follows I-210 east before splitting off again.  I know its not but that little short stretch with the nice wide median just looks so ready to continue on north.  Oh well.

--- Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2020, 06:18:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2020, 09:25:24 PM ---Personally Im cool with having the Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest Highway stay the two lane back roads they are.   It would be nice to have another option of getting out of San Fernando Valley but if I had to pick I would prefer the planned corridor of CA 118 be developed over new ground. 

--- End quote ---

Along that train of thought -- for several years after the '64 renumbering, the L.A. regional Thomas Guide showed Angeles Forest Hwy. as CA 249 -- taking literally the state highway map's overlay of that existing road with its normal line of circles indicating an alignment not yet formally adopted.  Of course, adoption never took place despite some exhortation at the time from Antelope Valley interests to do so for the sake of navigation from CA 2 (and by extension the Glendale/Pasadena area) out to the desert.  But the road was, starting in the late '60's very well signed as County Road N3; those signs were still posted in the mid-1980's, although many of them disappeared in the 30-odd years since (I was last on this road about 2011, and remember seeing a couple of "rustbucket" N3 signs, but that's about all).   Regarding an eastern CA 118 extension -- it would largely parallel Big Tujunga Road through B.T. Canyon and, if ever developed (at this time unlikely) would likely be as a "modern" 2-lane expressway with periodic passing lanes.  But any further incursion into the San Gabriels by the state highway system is itself unlikely -- particularly since the western terminus of the unbuilt CA 122 was relocated in the late '70's from its original mountain location to CA 14 beteween Acton and Palmdale, indicating that keeping through interregional facilities away from that range had become a Caltrans priority -- which doesn't portend well at all for any future action regarding improvement or signage for CA 249.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Where would it go north of Foothill Blvd.  You hit the mountains in half a mile.  To continue onto Angeles Crest, just take the 210 east for one exit.

--- End quote ---

Most fanciful potential uses for those long extended CA 2 ramps involve heading directly into a long tunnel; likely one intended to emerge somewhere in the upper reaches of Tujunga Canyon, with several more tunnels, each burrowing through a ridge, to follow until it finally came out near Acton or Vincent to segue into CA 14 and/or the long-proposed CA 122.  Such a proposal has, over the years, been introduced and reintroduced with added incentives like HSR or even a BART-like dedicated commute system.  Tunnel plans proliferated when it was proposed in the mid-80's that Palmdale Airport be expanded to divert air traffic away from LAX for various reasons (prominent among which were complaints by folks living in the landing path of that facility).  That never happened, so while tunnel proposals crop up from time to time, they hardly bombard the media like they did 35 years ago.   Nevetheless, those rather spectacular ramps seem to figure into quite a few cross-range proposals (the north end of I-605 has also been considered a likely "starting point" for more easterly proposals intended to descend to the desert near Littlerock or Pearblossom). 

Plutonic Panda:
So CA 2 in the Angeles Forest just reopened today after being closed due to extremely high fire risk. Is there a precedent for that? Ive never heard of a road being closed because of a high fire risk.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/angeles/home

On a side note I really wish theyd keep the road open all year long. Hell, Id be willing to pay a toll during the winter months to drive it.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 24, 2021, 12:03:27 PM ---So CA 2 in the Angeles Forest just reopened today after being closed due to extremely high fire risk. Is there a precedent for that? Ive never heard of a road being closed because of a high fire risk.

On a side note I really wish theyd keep the road open all year long. Hell, Id be willing to pay a toll during the winter months to drive it.

--- End quote ---

Its actually been kind of common for Forest Service roads but Ive never heard of that for a state highway.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 24, 2021, 12:13:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 24, 2021, 12:03:27 PM ---So CA 2 in the Angeles Forest just reopened today after being closed due to extremely high fire risk. Is there a precedent for that? Ive never heard of a road being closed because of a high fire risk.

--- End quote ---

Its actually been kind of common for Forest Service roads but Ive never heard of that for a state highway.

--- End quote ---
I was somewhat surprised. I love taking this route as a longer alternative to I-15 to Vegas. In fact Im planning a trip next week and Im going to Red Rocks and Valley of Fire in Nevada for the first time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version