Regional Boards > Northwest

Never-built highways of the Northwest

<< < (27/29) > >>

Bickendan:
Ah, the Laurelhurst Freeway alignment.

Bruce:
Another find: a 1962 Washington study looking at a road along the Pacific coastline from Neah Bay on the Makah Reservation to Ruby Beach, basically destroying a good chunk of the shoreline. But heck, we gotta be able to drive to the westernmost point on the continental US!

stevashe:

--- Quote from: Bruce on October 29, 2021, 05:22:02 AM ---But heck, we gotta be able to drive to the westernmost point on the continental US!

--- End quote ---

And yet the map clearly shows you could already do that with what was then SSH 9-A, the greedy road builders just wanted a second route!

jakeroot:
I think Ocean shores is a pretty good example of why such a road was totally unnecessary: the Washington coast just isn't anywhere near as nice as the Oregon and California coasts. It's better just to leave it as we found it.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: stevashe on October 30, 2021, 01:59:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bruce on October 29, 2021, 05:22:02 AM ---But heck, we gotta be able to drive to the westernmost point on the continental US!

--- End quote ---

And yet the map clearly shows you could already do that with what was then SSH 9-A, the greedy road builders just wanted a second route!

--- End quote ---

Cape Alava is actually further west than Cape Flattery and is not road accessible.

--- Quote from: jakeroot on October 30, 2021, 02:07:18 PM ---I think Ocean shores is a pretty good example of why such a road was totally unnecessary: the Washington coast just isn't anywhere near as nice as the Oregon and California coasts. It's better just to leave it as we found it.

--- End quote ---

The lack of development makes it nicer than the Oregon Coast, in my opinion. Less traffic, easier access to secluded beaches, way more real nature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version