Regional Boards > Northwest

Oregon bill would let motorcycles lane share

<< < (2/5) > >>

triplemultiplex:
I wonder how autonomous braking and lane departure systems handle motorbikes splitting lanes. Would it detect that close proximity as a potential collision because it assumes it's another full size automobile?  Those are on their way to become standard features so worth thinking about.

SectorZ:

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 18, 2021, 01:40:57 PM ---I wonder how autonomous braking and lane departure systems handle motorbikes splitting lanes. Would it detect that close proximity as a potential collision because it assumes it's another full size automobile?  Those are on their way to become standard features so worth thinking about.

--- End quote ---

I fear it's likelier to cause an accident avoiding the motorcycle. Probably not a huge concern, but I bet it'll happen at least once, if it hasn't already.

GaryV:
Isn't OR the state that thinks its populace is too stupid to operate a gas pump?  :pan: Yet they'll allow this for motorcyclists?  :banghead:

HighwayStar:

--- Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2021, 08:03:29 PM ---I have almost killed a lane splitter in California. It violates driver expectation completely. I don't care about the environmental benefits or whatever, it's not worth the safety risk.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I would go as far as to say motorcycles really don't belong on congested urban freeways in the first place.

1:

--- Quote from: HighwayStar on April 05, 2021, 04:41:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2021, 08:03:29 PM ---I have almost killed a lane splitter in California. It violates driver expectation completely. I don't care about the environmental benefits or whatever, it's not worth the safety risk.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I would go as far as to say motorcycles really don't belong on congested urban freeways in the first place.

--- End quote ---

Unlike most bicycles, motorcycles can keep up with the flow of traffic. Noise seems to be more of an issue on surface roads, since motorcycle engines are much louder than car engines on surface roads, and if you're not driving (walking, inside a building, etc.), you're much more likely to be close to a surface road than a freeway. I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version