User Content > Road Trips

Montana?

<< < (11/12) > >>

Bruce:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2021, 07:50:15 PM ---I realize that Google adjusts for traffic and other issues, but it would be nice to calculate a route that doesn't take any current problems, slowdowns, etc., into determining which of several very different routings is the best.

Just for fun, I may run Grand Junction to Owenton to see how Google handles the I-70 closure.

--- End quote ---

Just change the time from "Leave now" to "Depart at X" and set it in the middle of the night.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Bruce on August 03, 2021, 05:23:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2021, 07:50:15 PM ---I realize that Google adjusts for traffic and other issues, but it would be nice to calculate a route that doesn't take any current problems, slowdowns, etc., into determining which of several very different routings is the best.

Just for fun, I may run Grand Junction to Owenton to see how Google handles the I-70 closure.

--- End quote ---

Just change the time from "Leave now" to "Depart at X" and set it in the middle of the night.

--- End quote ---

Just did it, and it suggests US 50, CO 115, and US 24 through Colorado Springs to Limon.

A five-hour-longer option involves CO 69, I-25, US 87, TX 125 and OK 6 to hit I-40 near Elk City -- and then surprisingly enough, on to Nashville and then north on I-65. No I-44.

But changing the starting point from Grand Junction to Gallup uses the I-44 routing.

I scratch my head in wonderment at the logic applied.

It's like when I went to Annapolis a few years ago. I got routed over I-68, but when I started out from Weston, WV (which the route passes through) it preferred Corridor H and I-66.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Bruce on August 03, 2021, 05:23:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Google also still reports the "without traffic" time.  Do note, however, that Google's definition of "without traffic" isn't so much "without random slowdowns and current problems" but "how long it would take if you drove very fast, got every light green, and there were no other cars on the road" - basically unattainable in the real world.  It's also worth noting that Google factors in both live traffic and predicted traffic based on prior data.  Getting a route at a time where traffic along the trip would be substantially similar to when you'd actually leave can yield very accurate results (for how I drive, it's usually very accurate, nearly down to the minute, though I have noticed inaccuracies around the DC area for whatever reason).

Getting a time down to that level of accuracy with the "depart at" feature is harder as I'm not sure how the ranges are defined, though I'm starting to suspect that the long range might be the one where you don't exceed the speed limit.

froggie:
A few notes:

- Your mileage with Google may vary.  My experience with Google travel times is much less dystopic than Val's.

- Despite the current drought, it is not uncommon to have decent severe weather and tornadic scenarios during afternoon/evening daylight hours across Minnesota and the Dakotas through the month of August.  Sure, it's not as frequent as Tornado Alley across the Central Plains, but it's not as rare as HighwayMan394 made it out to be, either.

- Agree with Rothman in that there are a number of decent eateries in Duluth, especially near downtown and the lakefront.  Up the hill in Hermantown gets more into "chain restaurant territory".

- Despite growing up in Minnesota, I've never been a Culver's fan.

- If you're planning on taking US 2 across northern Minnesota, beware of pavement work and a detour east of Grand Rapids, pavement replacement requiring single-lane traffic between Erskine (US 59) and MN 32, and more pavement/single-lane between Fisher and East Grand Forks.

hbelkins:
The old static software routing programs like MS Streets & Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas would give consistent routings, and they generally had two options: "shortest" and "fastest."

Running Kayenta or Mexican Hat to Owenton would be instructive if I still had those apps, or the machines on which they ran. I don't even know if Street Atlas is still a thing, and Streets & Trips hasn't been released in something like eight years.

--- Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 10:43:44 AM ---

- If you're planning on taking US 2 across northern Minnesota, beware of pavement work and a detour east of Grand Rapids, pavement replacement requiring single-lane traffic between Erskine (US 59) and MN 32, and more pavement/single-lane between Fisher and East Grand Forks.

--- End quote ---

Well, there goes the clinch of US 2 in Minnesota.  :ded: Although technically I guess I can count it if there's a signed detour and we follow it. (Since I don't do Travel Mapping to keep track of route clinches.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version