User Content > Road Trips

Montana?

<< < (2/12) > >>

webny99:

--- Quote from: oscar on June 03, 2021, 05:44:46 PM ---Most of US 2 in Montana, east of the park, is mind-numbingly boring. But at least it's fast, with 70mph speed limits between towns.

--- End quote ---

You could probably confirm this, but I understand it's somewhat scenic in western North Dakota. (Never done it myself, but know friends and family that have.)

oscar:

--- Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2021, 05:59:52 PM ---You could probably confirm this, but I understand it's somewhat scenic in western North Dakota. (Never done it myself, but know friends and family that have.)

--- End quote ---

Some parts of western ND like Theodore Roosevelt NP are scenic, but not the parts near US 2.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: oscar on June 03, 2021, 06:48:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2021, 05:59:52 PM ---You could probably confirm this, but I understand it's somewhat scenic in western North Dakota. (Never done it myself, but know friends and family that have.)

--- End quote ---

Some parts of western ND like Theodore Roosevelt NP are scenic, but not the parts near US 2.

--- End quote ---

I-94 through TR National Park is one of the most scenic Interstate segments out there.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: oscar on June 03, 2021, 05:44:46 PM ---Glacier NP's Going-to-the-Sun Road, one of the park's prime attractions, now requires reservations, which you must obtain up to seven days before entering the park.

--- End quote ---

He knew about the Glacier reservation requirement, and had mentioned it to me when he asked if I was interested in going to Glacier.

He's interested in visiting Dillon, which is on I-15 west of Yellowstone. Back in 1984, he spent six weeks there as part of a geology class at Eastern Kentucky University. They alternated between staying at the college dorm there and camping out in the field. He said he had passed through Dillon once since 1984, but was interested in seeing how much it had changed from what he remembered.

That was a busy summer for him. Not only did he do the Montana geology trip, but spent the summer Olympics in LA as a photographer/photo lab technician; a gig a photographer friend of his hooked him up with.

I'm not sure if he has any opinions on Chicago traffic, but if we don't do a UP routing, I'd advise I-74 to I-39 to avoid the metro area.

We'd be leaving from Owenton, Ky., smack dab in the middle of the triangle formed by I-64, I-71, and I-75, which means probably using US 421 to access I-74 no matter if we went through Chicagoland or the I-39 bypass.

I'd try to get him to stay on I-75 through Detroit for more mileage on that route, but he's not a roadgeek.

My only entrance into the UP was crossing the bridge, exiting at US 2, and turning around and coming back south.

I took a gander at the map and figured that making our way to M-28 would probably be a decent way to get across the UP, since we'd reconnect with US 2 at some point.

webny99:

--- Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2021, 05:55:27 PM ---My recommendation would be to stay on US 2 heading west from the Mackinac Bridge until at least M-117, and then take your choice of routing (likely M-117, M-77, or M-94) up to M-28. That route meets back up with US 2 at Wakefield not far from the Wisconsin line. Personally, I think M-28 is preferable to US 2 for several reasons: it's less mileage, it has better scenery (including of the Lake Superior shoreline, which you can't go to the UP and not see), and it passes through the "heart" of the UP, including Marquette, the largest city in the UP.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2021, 07:39:39 PM ---I took a gander at the map and figured that making our way to M-28 would probably be a decent way to get across the UP, since we'd reconnect with US 2 at some point.

--- End quote ---

:cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version