News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California SR 54, Eastern Segment (Jamacha Rd. near El Cajon, San Diego County)

Started by M3100, June 26, 2021, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

Here's a local road I recently clinched, with pics from June 19, 2021.

This segment of California SR 54 is isolated from a western freeway segment that intersects with (and briefly multiplexes with) California SR 125.
This eastern segment runs north-south (per the compass) though is designated East/West, same as its western counterpart.

1. In the city of El Cajon, on Jamacha Road just south of the intersection with Main Street (I-8 Business; Historic US 80).
Note it is designated as a 'Business Loop' with an Interstate-shaped shield.

2. Another Interstate-shaped shield, this time a 'Business Route'.

3. This segment of SR 54 begins just south of the El Cajon city limit

4. Junction with California SR 94

5. Heading back to El Cajon, one of the posted shields.

6. The End, just before the El Cajon City Limit.

There was at least one other 'Interstate-shaped shield' in the Northbound (highway designation east bound) segment of road within El Cajon City Limits.

sparker

Quote from: M3100 on June 26, 2021, 08:01:51 PM
Here's a local road I recently clinched, with pics from June 19, 2021.

This segment of California SR 54 is isolated from a western freeway segment that intersects with (and briefly multiplexes with) California SR 125.
This eastern segment runs north-south (per the compass) though is designated East/West, same as its western counterpart.

1. In the city of El Cajon, on Jamacha Road just south of the intersection with Main Street (I-8 Business; Historic US 80).
Note it is designated as a 'Business Loop' with an Interstate-shaped shield.

2. Another Interstate-shaped shield, this time a 'Business Route'.

3. This segment of SR 54 begins just south of the El Cajon city limit

4. Junction with California SR 94

5. Heading back to El Cajon, one of the posted shields.

6. The End, just before the El Cajon City Limit.

There was at least one other 'Interstate-shaped shield' in the Northbound (highway designation east bound) segment of road within El Cajon City Limits.

This illustrates the problem of state signage based on ownership of the facililty rather than navigational purposes, compounded by Caltrans' eagerness to shed as much surface mileage as possible, particularly within incorporated cities.  Doesn't look like El Cajon has gone to much trouble to do any "road diets" or other activities that often accompany relinquishment; the alignment remains the same but the shields have, in one of the more laughable consequences of change of ownership, changed.  If the whole thing wasn't pathetic, it'd be funny!

Max Rockatansky

Love the weird Interstate 54 Business shields.  Those would definitely catch my interest if they were ever to become available for sale.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2021, 09:24:26 PM
Love the weird Interstate 54 Business shields.  Those would definitely catch my interest if they were ever to become available for sale.

Would prefer a simple continuation of CA 54 shields within El Cajon limits, even if WB (actually south) was bannered with "TO" above the shield.  But I see your point regarding the ersatz I-business shields; to me, it's like a mis-struck coin; it's valuable because of both the mistake and its uniqueness.  I suppose if I had a wall devoted to shields (do have a GF, so that's not happening -- even out in the garage) it would make a comment-worthy addition!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on June 27, 2021, 03:46:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2021, 09:24:26 PM

Would prefer a simple continuation of CA 54 shields within El Cajon limits, even if WB (actually south) was bannered with "TO" above the shield.  But I see your point regarding the ersatz I-business shields; to me, it's like a mis-struck coin; it's valuable because of both the mistake and its uniqueness.  I suppose if I had a wall devoted to shields (do have a GF, so that's not happening -- even out in the garage) it would make a comment-worthy addition!

Suffice to say, I do have a wall left where it could find a new home:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147000503855429/permalink/147893890432757/

My wife actually had the idea to post all the signs.  Her stipulation was that it had to be in the garage or in the back yard on the fence.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Our garage issue is not permission but rather the fact that a large portion of our stored shit is stacked against the garage walls to the point where there just isn't any wall space left (and most of it is her stuff).  I still have and pay for a storage unit down in Hesperia where much of our excess furniture is located!  BTW, there's a CA 99 shield stashed there as well; something I bought back in the late '90's.  At least out in the desert there's not a lot of moisture to damage things, and the place is pretty well sealed against sand damage (it's right next to the Mojave River riverbed). 

Nevertheless -- hope you have a place for an oddball "Interstate Business Loop 54 shield" if ever one hits the market! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.