User Content > Road Trips

Teaching road maps to the younger generation

(1/4) > >>

wanderer2575:
I just came across this vignette about a father who gave his 12-year-olds a lesson in using paper road maps to navigate their vacation journey.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/active-families/kids-navigate-spring-break-road-trip-no-gps/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Max Rockatansky:
Our niece is at the age where she has to obtain knowledge of cars.  Given she lives with us a good portion of the year Iíll probably at least explain stuff like maps and road signs.  I see it being a tall order for stuff like that to be retained in memory though.  Most of our extended family canít even remember where to find the campground they have been going to for over twenty years much less how navigate signage to it.

GaryV:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 13, 2021, 01:37:16 PM ---// Most of our extended family canít even remember where to find the campground they have been going to for over twenty years //

--- End quote ---

When my son got his permit, he asked if he could drive to church.  Sure, why not.  He gets behind the wheel, makes all the adjustments and is ready to back out.  "How do we get there?"

We only lived 3 miles from church, and had been going there 2-3 times a week for the last decade and a half.

Roadgeekteen:
I teach maps to the older generation.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 13, 2021, 03:21:16 PM ---I teach maps to the older generation.

--- End quote ---

community service?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version