Regional Boards > Canada

Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

<< < (3/66) > >>

LM117:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2021, 09:50:34 PM ---Politics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.
--- End quote ---

I have relatives that live in the Detroit suburbs and they stopped going over before Covid broke out because of that.

Former WWE wrestler Bob Holly also wrote this in his book about going to Canada:

--- Quote ---Montreal is completely the opposite of Australia---there seems to be a lot of rude people in Montreal. Several times when I stopped to ask for directions, the French Canadians just looked at me funny and walked off. I never did like going into Canada, period. Not many of the boys did. It was always such a hassle at customs. We entered other countries without a problem, but getting into Canada could be brutal. They'd take forever with us; it was torture. Any time we worked there, we'd get paid in Canadian dollars, so when the exchange rate was bad, we lost money like crazy. You'd better believe that seeing Canada on the schedule was a real buzzkill.
--- End quote ---

AsphaltPlanet:

--- Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2021, 09:18:03 AM ---
--- Quote ---Montreal is completely the opposite of Australia---there seems to be a lot of rude people in Montreal. Several times when I stopped to ask for directions, the French Canadians just looked at me funny and walked off. I never did like going into Canada, period. Not many of the boys did. It was always such a hassle at customs. We entered other countries without a problem, but getting into Canada could be brutal. They'd take forever with us; it was torture. Any time we worked there, we'd get paid in Canadian dollars, so when the exchange rate was bad, we lost money like crazy. You'd better believe that seeing Canada on the schedule was a real buzzkill.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Typical.  Americans love to bash Canada for having soft borders, but then complain when the border turns out actually not to be porous.

Americans can enter Canada a full month before anyone else in the world can, but obviously Canadians only have an arrogant attitude to the US.

And of course, let's not forget that Canada has made its border opening announcement prior to any announcement from the US side.  So Canada has opened it's border (or at least announced it's intention to open the border) to Americans before American's have opened its border to Canadians.

And then of course there are issues like free trade.  One of the hallmarks of the previous governments election platform was renegotiating NAFTA.  Of course, during that renegotiated deal, the US unilaterally decided to impose trade tariffs on goods under the ridiculous guise of "national security".  What a quintessentially American thought -- you are only pro-free trade when it suits you.  If someone else gets to make a buck, then fuck'em.

And then there's the point that the US by presidential order, decreed that no vaccines could be exported to Canada or other countries.  Again, there's this thing called free-trade.  So, the reason that Canada (and other countries) don't have the same level of domestic vaccine production because the economies of Canada (and other countries) have been so integrated with that of America.  That was a dick move on behalf of the Americans.  And now of course, despite the fact that the US has one of the best vaccine production rates in the world, nearly 50% of America's population is literally to stubborn to get vaccinated.

And let's not ignore the mess that occurred on January 6.  Watching a countries Capitol Building be overrun by a bunch of clueless right wing thugs used to be the type of thing reserved for (to paraphrase the previous administrations parlance) shithole countries.

I'm looking forward to the border opening again.  I'm eager to visit some cities that I haven't been to in a couple of years, but to all of the American's out there, my friends, don't pretend you haven't had some rather fouling smelling fecal matter drifting north over the past few years.  It's ignorant and insulting.

Henry:
The Blue Jays will play out their remaining home schedule at Rogers Centre, starting 7/30:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31829476/toronto-blue-jays-get-approval-canada-health-officials-july-30-return-reportedly-likely

And more than likely, the Raptors will be heading back home as well, after spending a year exiled in Tampa.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 20, 2021, 09:42:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2021, 09:18:03 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Typical.  Americans love to bash Canada for having soft borders, but then complain when the border turns out actually not to be porous.

Americans can enter Canada a full month before anyone else in the world can, but obviously Canadians only have an arrogant attitude to the US.

And of course, let's not forget that Canada has made its border opening announcement prior to any announcement from the US side.  So Canada has opened it's border (or at least announced it's intention to open the border) to Americans before American's have opened its border to Canadians.

And then of course there are issues like free trade.  One of the hallmarks of the previous governments election platform was renegotiating NAFTA.  Of course, during that renegotiated deal, the US unilaterally decided to impose trade tariffs on goods under the ridiculous guise of "national security".  What a quintessentially American thought -- you are only pro-free trade when it suits you.  If someone else gets to make a buck, then fuck'em.

And then there's the point that the US by presidential order, decreed that no vaccines could be exported to Canada or other countries.  Again, there's this thing called free-trade.  So, the reason that Canada (and other countries) don't have the same level of domestic vaccine production because the economies of Canada (and other countries) have been so integrated with that of America.  That was a dick move on behalf of the Americans.  And now of course, despite the fact that the US has one of the best vaccine production rates in the world, nearly 50% of America's population is literally to stubborn to get vaccinated.

And let's not ignore the mess that occurred on January 6.  Watching a countries Capitol Building be overrun by a bunch of clueless right wing thugs used to be the type of thing reserved for (to paraphrase the previous administrations parlance) shithole countries.

I'm looking forward to the border opening again.  I'm eager to visit some cities that I haven't been to in a couple of years, but to all of the American's out there, my friends, don't pretend you haven't had some rather fouling smelling fecal matter drifting north over the past few years.  It's ignorant and insulting.

--- End quote ---

I donít dispute the issues you state above on the U.S. side of things, there is certainly a lot of bad.  All the same, the assumption that most of us supported things like what (or act a certain way) you describe above is the generalization Iím referring to.  I rather just go somewhere else where nobody cares where Iím from or assumes something about me because of it.

wanderer2575:

--- Quote from: US 41 on July 19, 2021, 11:48:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2021, 09:50:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 09:40:43 PM ---And while the blanket quarantine requirements are gone for fully vaccinated travelers, a border officer can require one at their discretion.  Between that and the PCR test (not rapid test) requirement, we're still not quite at the level where just hopping over for a daytrip is really practical, if such ever will be again.  After 9/11, though the border thinned from the thickest it was immediately after the attacks, it never got even close to pre-9/11 conditions, and I fear such could happen again.  Just as Americans feared terrorists transiting through the north (whether such is rational or not - let's please keep this thread open by keeping the politics out), Canadians now fear the virus could come from the south (same note as previous).

--- End quote ---

Politics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.  Iím sure lots of people from the northern border states will end up flocking back in droves but I canít see myself visiting for a couple years.  Lots of other countries were way more inviting than Canada pre-COVID (or at least I found myself more welcome) and I can think of a pretty lengthy list of places I rather go first.

--- End quote ---

I pretty much agree with this post. The Mexican border has been open for quite a while and you don't have to jump though a bunch of hoops to go either. I think I'll visit and spend my money in places that actually want it. Even though Canada is technically reopening the border it seems pretty clear that they really don't really want people coming. They wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for the border areas pushing for it so hard. Like I can't imagine how much money Niagara Falls, Ontario has lost.

I'm not sure what the US is going to do, but I'd impose the same restrictions on their people that they're imposing on ours. Seems fair to me.

--- End quote ---

So first you say you'd rather spend your money in places that want it, and then you say let's impose our own restrictions on Canadians who might want to spend their money here.  Please run that past us again.  Canada at least is doing it for health-related reasons (whether or not you agree with their reasoning), whereas your reasoning is akin to sticking out your tongue and saying "same to you, fella."

On a separate note, Canada isn't opening to cruise ships until November 1st, which is still four months earlier than previously announced.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/07/15/cruise-ships-canada-waters-ban-lifted-november/7983543002/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version