User Content > Road Trips

2021 Road Trip Plans

<< < (13/16) > >>

oscar:

--- Quote from: Rylansam on August 23, 2021, 06:10:56 AM ---I'm planning a road trip from Anchorage to Valdez along with my wife and my baby. Has anyone gone through this route? Is it good to travel on this route, as we have a 4 months old baby as well. We can keep some toys and a baby swing to keep him entertained, but how about the route? I've never travelled on this route before.
--- End quote ---

I've done that once or twice. Check out Bridal Veil Falls and the Worthington Glacier north of Valdez (in 1994, it was a nice drive-up glacier, and I could walk up to the edge to see all the crud on the bottom of the glacier, but that could've changed in the last quarter-century), and on Alaska route 1 good distant views of the Matanuska Glacier. None of this is for your baby, but you and your wife might enjoy.

One option you might look into is taking the Alaska Marine Highway auto ferry between Whittier (closest port to Anchorage) and Valdez one-way, and the highway the other. I've never taken that ferry route on Prince William Sound, but have heard the views are spectacular, and as a bonus you get the famous one-lane auto/rail tunnel to Whittier. OTOH, there aren't that many sailings, and you might not be able to find one that fits your schedule. Also, you'll have to take the baby with you to the passenger deck, since passengers aren't allowed on the vehicle deck between ports. I have traveled a lot of ferries in other parts of Alaska, and don't recall seeing any babies on board, so I have no sense of how baby-friendly is the passenger deck.

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 09:29:04 PM ---Well, I've decided to go ahead with plans for a Chicago trip this fall.  Here's my thinking:

1.  Just one year after all the shutdowns, local governments seem pretty hesitant to force another shutdown on people.  There may soon come a point at which they make the decision again, but hopefully that point will come later rather than sooner.  The city of Chicago recently stated publicly that they have no plans at the moment to shut things down again, that they intend to simply proceed cautiously, greatly preferring another mask mandate over another shutdown.  While the very fact that they issued such a statement means people have already been asking, it does illustrate the hesitancy I mentioned.
--- End quote ---

Given recent developments, I would be more concerned about restrictions coming from the governor of Illinois than Chicago.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on August 27, 2021, 10:47:19 PM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 09:29:04 PM ---Well, I've decided to go ahead with plans for a Chicago trip this fall.  Here's my thinking:

1.  Just one year after all the shutdowns, local governments seem pretty hesitant to force another shutdown on people.  There may soon come a point at which they make the decision again, but hopefully that point will come later rather than sooner.  The city of Chicago recently stated publicly that they have no plans at the moment to shut things down again, that they intend to simply proceed cautiously, greatly preferring another mask mandate over another shutdown.  While the very fact that they issued such a statement means people have already been asking, it does illustrate the hesitancy I mentioned.
--- End quote ---

Given recent developments, I would be more concerned about restrictions coming from the governor of Illinois than Chicago.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

But also, because our car threw a rod a few weeks ago and we had to suddenly buy a new one, I'm not so sure we can even afford the vacation anyway.

MikeTheActuary:
In the past couple of weeks, I booked plans for a semi-road trip at the end of December.

For the past several years, my wife and I have spent Christmas apart.  She generally spends a month spanning Christmas with her family in Alabama, due to her family's traditions, and to give me a break from caretaking duty (she's disabled with a TBI).  I spent Christmas in Memphis with my father, since he was very active in the choir at church, and I didn't like the idea of him keeping up with all the choir commitments over the holiday season...not to mention not liking the idea of his being alone over the holiday.

My father passed away recently, so I'm going to spend this Christmas with my wife's family.   However, rather than do the expected thing, and just fly or drive directly to Dothan, I've instead booked flights in/out of Orlando, and I'll take one day before and after the family visit to collect several counties in Florida and Georgia.

D-Dey65:
I mentioned my proposed near end of the year NYC Metro Area excursion on another thread, and for a recent moment, I considered taking a detour into Folkston, Georgia on this trip. But the truth is, I really don't want to make so many detours, especially in Florida and Georgia. I was hoping to at least wait until I get to the Carolinas, and those would be few and far between.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version