Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

🛣 Headlines About California Highways July 2021

(1/10) > >>

cahwyguy:
It's that time of the month. No, not that time of the month, but the time where I post headlines about California Highways. Here's what I found of interest over the month. As always, ready, set, discuss.

https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16122

Max Rockatansky:
That detour of CA 4 through the San Joaquin River Delta onto Byron Highway is going to make a brutal commuting drive all the more brutal.  Both highways are far beyond obsolete at this point and need substantial expansion to contend with traffic loads.

Amusingly a lot of us were talking about I-15 and the new agriculture station backups on Facebook.  The old station at minimum could be bypassed by way of Old US 91/466 on Yermo Road.  I'm to understand a lot of people now take US 95 and I-40 to avoid the traffic backups on weekends on I-15 at the new agriculture station in Primm.  I've personally found taking NV 160, State Line Road, CA 127, CA 190, Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 178 to be an easier route back over I-15/CA 58 back to San Joaquin Valley.

I'm finding myself disappointed that AZ 30 isn't numbered AZ 404 to keep some continuity with the Loop Freeways.  Granted AZ 143 and AZ 24 are numbers plucked out of thin air also.  Kind of a shame considering that Arizona used to have really orderly State Highway Numbering conventions.

I'm not surprised that CHP wasn't going to allow a detour of the Bixby Bridge down Old Coast Road.  The locals absolutely hate when people pass through Old Coast Road and park along the ledges above Bixby Creek.  I've driven it a couple times myself, at times it can be in good repair but the grade an erode heavily in the winter.

sparker:
Well, well, well........something I predicted two years ago is happening, or, more precisely, trying to happen.  When the HDC's (High Desert Corridor) freeway component was cancelled in 2019, I said that that move would probably precipitate a corresponding move to raise CA 138 and CA 18 between Palmdale and Victorville to freeway standard as a stand-alone project.  Now it looks like Metro is taking the rather ballsy move of trying to shunt part of the budget for the original corridor, which still exists as a future rail and non-vehicular facility, to the development of that parallel freeway.  As would be expected, the critics of freeway development and their frequent media outlet, Streetsblog, aren't terribly thrilled with this prospect.  But knowing L.A.'s Metro, they'll retort with an assertation that the freeway wasn't fully deleted under the previous agreement, merely shelved -- and they simply took it down from the shelf!  Nevertheless, it's likely that a move such as this one will provoke protracted litigation.  As a former resident of the eastern portion of the affected area here, I would not at all be surprised if the CA 18 portion of this project, if actually developed, curves north west of Victorville and at some point merges with the corresponding eastern end of the original HDC in order to avoid residential zones in western Victorville and southern Adelanto as well as tie in to the Apple Valley CA 18 bypass expressway -- something that would really tweak the noses of the roadway project's more vocal critics.  As the old cinema dialogue once said: "fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy ride!"       

cahwyguy:

--- Quote from: sparker on August 01, 2021, 01:59:01 AM ---Well, well, well........something I predicted two years ago is happening, or, more precisely, trying to happen.  When the HDC's (High Desert Corridor) freeway component was cancelled in 2019, I said that that move would probably precipitate a corresponding move to raise CA 138 and CA 18 between Palmdale and Victorville to freeway standard as a stand-alone project.  [...] As the old cinema dialogue once said: "fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy ride!"       

--- End quote ---

Although then again, if they diverts some of the funds to actually improve Route 18 between 138 and I-15, that would be great. It currently is a *really* bumpy ride -- so bumpy in fact that my wife prefers to either us I-15 to the 210 to the 118, or across the 58 to the 14 and down, when we drive back from Vegas, after she gets shaken, not stirred, taking 138 and 18 when we go out (we live in the Valley, and I tend to hate going across 210/Cajon Pass when there is the nice uncrowded Pearblossom Hwy awaiting).

TheStranger:
I see that the I-80/Yolo Causeway project got mentioned a ton in this set of updates (with multiple articles)...I have way too many memories of driving through there and getting stuck in traffic back when I lived in Sacramento.  During the time I worked in Rancho Cordova I would almost always bypass it on Fridays via the 160 corridor en route to the Bay Area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version