Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

🛣 Headlines About California Highways July 2021

<< < (2/10) > >>

M3100:
Interesting to see articles on two 'wildlife corridor crossings', to be constructed across CA 17 and US 101.  If it helps in reducing vehicle-wildlife collisions, all the better...

sparker:

--- Quote from: cahwyguy on August 01, 2021, 09:04:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: sparker on August 01, 2021, 01:59:01 AM ---Well, well, well........something I predicted two years ago is happening, or, more precisely, trying to happen.  When the HDC's (High Desert Corridor) freeway component was cancelled in 2019, I said that that move would probably precipitate a corresponding move to raise CA 138 and CA 18 between Palmdale and Victorville to freeway standard as a stand-alone project.  [...] As the old cinema dialogue once said: "fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy ride!"       

--- End quote ---

Although then again, if they diverts some of the funds to actually improve Route 18 between 138 and I-15, that would be great. It currently is a *really* bumpy ride -- so bumpy in fact that my wife prefers to either us I-15 to the 210 to the 118, or across the 58 to the 14 and down, when we drive back from Vegas, after she gets shaken, not stirred, taking 138 and 18 when we go out (we live in the Valley, and I tend to hate going across 210/Cajon Pass when there is the nice uncrowded Pearblossom Hwy awaiting).

--- End quote ---

When I was a kid living in Glendale, and we were visiting my mom's niece in Las Vegas (early/mid-'60's), my dad always went out via what was then Newhall and out 138 through Pearblossom and then heading straight toward Victorville on what would be signed as CA 18 by 1968.  Even though I-10 to (then) I-15 at Colton then north had no stop signs or signals, being all freeway or expressway, he preferred the cross-desert trip just because it was less crowded.  Never saw much; both coming and going happened at night through that area -- but it stuck with me, and for years afterward if my trip began anywhere near or west of central L.A., I'd head out 14, Pearblossom, and 138.  But it seems a shame that Metro has to go through major convolutions just to get improvements out in the desert (although they're heads above their Bay Area counterparts in even considering major road projects) -- and the project critics should have seen something like the potential funding shift coming when they managed to shut down the freeway segment of the original HDC.  Maybe in the back of their minds they think that if regional needs go unaddressed, they'll somehow just go away -- or that the area residents will suddenly clamor for vastly expanded public transit in an area where that wouldn't be efficient.  Or maybe they're hoping against hope that folks will move back over the hill and let the desert revert back to its pre-WWII state.  But of course, that just isn't going to happen; the Victorville/etc. high desert region is already starting to "infill" with more dense development near I-15 and US 395, gradually resembling more traditional city structure.  For better or worse, the inverse equation regarding commute distance and housing cost persists; as long as it does, the area will grow -- but not necessarily expand at its perimeters, since services and amenities do have their linear limitations.   

cahwyguy:

--- Quote from: M3100 on August 01, 2021, 05:16:18 PM ---Interesting to see articles on two 'wildlife corridor crossings', to be constructed across CA 17 and US 101.  If it helps in reducing vehicle-wildlife collisions, all the better...

--- End quote ---

There have also been articles in the past months on crossings, using modified culverts, on both Route 118 and on Route 60 through the badlands.

pderocco:

--- Quote from: sparker on August 01, 2021, 05:26:15 PM ---When I was a kid living in Glendale, and we were visiting my mom's niece in Las Vegas (early/mid-'60's), my dad always went out via what was then Newhall and out 138 through Pearblossom and then heading straight toward Victorville on what would be signed as CA 18 by 1968.  Even though I-10 to (then) I-15 at Colton then north had no stop signs or signals, being all freeway or expressway, he preferred the cross-desert trip just because it was less crowded.  Never saw much; both coming and going happened at night through that area -- but it stuck with me, and for years afterward if my trip began anywhere near or west of central L.A., I'd head out 14, Pearblossom, and 138.
--- End quote ---

My preference has always been for Pearblossom to Ave T, up to Palmdale Blvd, then up to El Mirage Rd, then down to Air Expwy, pretty close to the HDC alignment. I've probably driven that 100 times in reverse, on my way home from the desert to L.A., and it's always blissfully empty.

pderocco:
Re: 71/91 Interchange Improvement Project -- no mention of widening the last few miles of 71. They've widened the rest, but the widening from Central Ave to CA-83 is just wasted pavement until they can have six lanes all the way to 91.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version